Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2015, 09:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Antenna Feeds For DirecTV DVR

I opted for the Winegard RoadTrip Mission factory installed roof top satellite antenna. Winnebago routed the two outputs from the antenna, one going to the front and the second line is to the bedroom.

My problem is that I need both feeds connected to my DirecTV satellite receiver if I want to watch TV on one channel and record another.

I talked to Winnebago and they suggested running a cable from the bedroom to the front satellite box location.

I talked to Winegard about a DirecTV Genie system and they said that I would need to add a SWM converter drilling holes in the roof. When I said that I would prefer not to drill holes the suggestion was to run a line from the bedroom.

I'm sure that I'm not the first to run into this problem. I have a 2016 Sightseer 33C. If you have resolved this problem then how did you do it?

Safe travels. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I see you previously had an 05 winne, don't the new ones have a control box similar to the 05 for ant, sat, dvd, etc to hook into? That's what my sat goes into and I have no problems getting sat on both tvs.
paswigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 08:09 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Yellowboat, I send a note to my friend at the factory asking about the coax routing. If you can look in the front overhead for a coax with two orange bands on it. That is the coax going to the back. If there is a spice you could add a A-B switch or just connect a coax to it and run it to the sat receiver.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:19 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Paswigi,

Yes I had an 05 Sightseer. The difference is on the 05 I used an external Carry Out antenna. For a long time, when I wanted to watch DirecTV I had to switch antenna feeds. I had two lines in form the outside connections. One was a satellite feed and the other was a cable feed. To watch cable the cable feed was connected to my switchbox. To watch and record DirecTV I had to connect the cable feed to my DirecTV satellite receiver. After awhile I added a switch so that I could flip a switch.

When our CRT TV failed I upgraded to a flatscreen TV. During the work to add a flatscreen TV I ran a third cable connection and eliminated the switch.

Our new Sightseer has a factory installed Winegard RoadTrip antenna. There is no connecting my second antenna output to my cable connection. So I'm stuck with either watching DirecTV and not recording shows with the built in DVR or finding a way to tap into the second antenna output that currently goes to the bedroom.

Safe travels. JD
Old 09-10-2015, 10:28 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
Yellowboat, I send a note to my friend at the factory asking about the coax routing. If you can look in the front overhead for a coax with two orange bands on it. That is the coax going to the back. If there is a spice you could add a A-B switch or just connect a coax to it and run it to the sat receiver.
Thanks. Now I know what to look for. I have an appointment with our dealership on September 20th to have damnage caused by the delivery driver and other factory related issues fixed. I will talk to them about my DirecTV issues. They may have dealt with this issue before.

If I don't get a good feeling about their ability to resolve my DirecTV issues then I will do it myself.

Safe travels. JD
Old 09-10-2015, 02:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Yellowboat, I have the Wire - Asm Roof drawing for your coach. The second output from the dish goes directly to the back. The roof coax's splice to the Wire - Asm Coach in the wall behind the one place panel. Which will not do you any good.
PM me your email and I will send you the drawing along with a sketch on my idea of a fix.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:54 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

As a test I ran a coaxial cable from the bedroom satellite receiver connection through our coach connecting to the satellite receiver. The satellite receiver is accepting the connection and showing two signals.

It's not a very elegant solution to have a coaxial cable running through the living space. After talking to Winegard and looking at wire diagrams sent by Grtharris I plan on splicing the coaxial cable diverting it to the satellite antenna output station in the front of our coach.

As a side note I have discovered another problem with the satellite wiring in our coach. After connecting our satellite receiver I noticed that all three TV's have a blurred picture. The picture on the living room TV is so blurry that it hurts the eyes to watch. Pictures are fine when either playing a DVD or watching over the air TV.

As a test I jumped past the coach wiring with a jumper directly from the satellite receiver to the living room TV. The picture was fine. Satellite wiring is now on my dealership fix list. JD
Old 09-14-2015, 09:16 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Yellowboat do you have the HDMI cable circled in the drawing and did you plug it into the sat receiver. If so check to make sure the HDMI to cat 5 converters have power going to the main TV one on each end. The other TV's go through the video switch and will not be the best video.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Video Wiring.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	106886  
Old 09-14-2015, 02:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Could someone please tell me what the term "wire ASM" means that I see on Winnie wiring diagrams? Google was no help.

Thanks
Algonquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 04:28 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Algonquin, The term means Wiring Assembly. The wiring in the Winnebago coaches are made up several wiring harness for different areas of the coach. Each harness is called by the location were it is used, for instance the roof wiring assembly is called
WIRE ASM - ROOF.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:44 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Grtharris

Yes I have the HDMI cable but my satellite box does not have a HDMI port. I'm using a coaxial cable to transmit the signal from my satellite box to the wall port.

So here is my thoughts about the fuzzy picture from my satellite box. If I jump directly from the satellite receiver to any TV I get a good picture. I also get a good picture if I select over the air programming or a DVD on my switch box. Based upon the fact that I get a good picture from my switch box to the TV's I suspect the coaxial cable between the out to TV connection port and connecting to the switch box. It's possible that the switch box is at fault but I suspect the coaxial cable first.

I have two things that I can try to isolate the problem. First I can connect the Satellite receiver to the bedroom out to TV connection port and check my picture. Second I can jump from my satellite receiver to the switch box. If my picture is clear it is the coaxial cable that runs from the satellite out to TV to the switch box.

I have made sure that all of the connections are tight.

Thanks for the wiring diagram. I'm hopeful that I can find the double orange coaxial cable. I believe that I can find it when it first penetrates the roof. I have taken pictures of the wires where the antenna coaxial cables penetrate the roof. I have a small 1" X 4" hole to look through. Unfortunately all of the wires have a black coating and are difficult to identify in the pictures.

We leave on a trip tomorrow and on the way home from our trip we drop our RV at the dealership so that they can start fixing factory defects.

Safe travels. JD
Old 09-15-2015, 11:51 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Yellowboat, sounds like a good plan. I would connect the sat receiver directly to the switch to isolated it to the switch or the cable between the switch and the wall plate. Also look at the connectors at the back of the wall plate. This way you will have some info to give the dealer.
Looks like there is a spot light above the passenger's seat that in close to the wire way going to the back. May be able to see the coax's there.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:15 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Grtharris

I found the fault that is causing the fuzzy picture. The AUX 1 feed into the switch box is bad. I was able to wiggle the input at the box and the picture quality changed. I connected a coaxial cable from my satellite receiver out to TV to the, not used, AUX 2 input on the switch box. My picture is now good. JD

Tags
antenna