Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-28-2022, 11:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

1987 Winnebago Chieftain Wiring Schematic

I have a 1987 Winnebago Chieftain Chevy 454 P30 Chassis and need a Wiring Schematic.
Please help! Replaced alternator but still not charging. I have battery voltage on the "sensing" wire (thin wire) but zero on the Bat bolt when the key is in the on position. I do not know where this heavier gauged wire goes to so I can't check for continuity. The positive lead off of the battery goes to a cylindrical device that has several heavy gauged wires. I think one is to the starter and the other to the fuse panel but I can't see its termination. Is this the chassis battery disconnect you speak of? I found and replaced the isolator which the one wire alternators are supposed to be connected to to isolate the house batteries from the chassis batteries. I did find a cylindrical device in the house battery compartment that had two 5 amp fuses and I replaced them but I still don't know where the bat wire from the alternator goes to. I can't find schematics or help on line without paying for them and then I don't know if they would be the correct ones for my vehicle. I'm stranded and I need to get this vehicle to Litchfield, IL by April 1st. If that cylindrical device is the chassis battery disconnect, how do I find the wire that goes to the alternator? The device must be working because the starter works and so does the fuse panel where 3 medium weight black wires and 1 4 gauge wire is routed. I need to get this alternator charging. I tried one guys suggestion of exciting the self-exciting alternator but I don't think there was any voltage leaving the alternator to remagnetize the wiring inside. Please help if you are able. Thank you.
Jay Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 11:52 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Jay Young: Winnebago's online wiring diagrams only go back as far as 1990, but the wiring diagrams for the 1990 Chieftain might be useful to you. You can find them here: 1990 Wiring Diagrams.

You may also find that if you contact
Winnebago Customer Care
(800) 537-1885 - Toll Free
(641) 585-6939
they may be able to provide you with specifics for your 1987 coach.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 08:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Jay Young, like Cbeierl no diagrams going back to 1987. Here is a picture of the two relays involved.
First the alternator is always connected to the chassis battery, there is not a chassis battery disconnect on your coach.
Not a Chevy person so don't know where the alternator output lead connects to. Almost need a chassis drawing. The large wire on the alternator has to get to the positive side of the chassis battery. One side of the isolation relay may be the junction point.
In the 1990 picture the top relay is the isolation relay and the bottom one is the coach disconnect relay.
Attached Images

grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote