Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-11-2020, 01:29 PM   #1
Site Team

$130 Victron Smart Shunt - yes NO!

I have a Magnum BMK installed (shunt based tracks battery state of charge) and it displays my battery usage/charging/state of charge on my Magnum display in the "Tech Center" of my 2017 Adventurer.

It works great, was easy to install, and I'm glad to have it.

BUT.

To read it I have to open the Tech Center Door (Tech Center is my name for that place in my RV where all the monitors and controls are. They are behind a glass door) and look at the small display and then scroll through the info.

No problem really. But then I installed a Victron MPPT Solar Charge Controller in my solar install and started using Victron's phone APP to keep up with all my solar power details. After a while I started wishing I had the same for my Battery Monitor. So, I decided to change out the Magnum BMK for the Victron BMK so I could do just that.

The Victron BMV-712 Smart is the $225+ device most use. It provides a shunt and a round display that you install and not only can you see all your battery bank info on the display... but on your phone via that same APP that my solar charge controller uses. My plan was to remove the Magnum BMK and install the Victron - just for the bluetooth feature alone. Another $225 down the drain. See, my plan was to not install the display, but leave it "hanging" in the battery compartment where I couldn't really see it, but I'd have the bluetooth phone app to provide all the info I needed.

Then I learned that Victron makes a "Smart Shunt" that does pretty much the same thing - it has no monitor just Bluetooth functionality and it costs $100 less.

This was new news to me and perhaps it is to you, so I thought I'd share the info in case you've been wanting a Victron BMK with Bluetooth without spending $225.

https://www.victronenergy.com/batter...-battery-shunt

Mine's on order via Amazon for $130. I'll report back after it's installed. But since I'll just be changing out the already installed Magnum Shunt for the identical style Victron shunt this should be a 30 min. install.