Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-11-2020, 01:29 PM   #1
Site Team

$130 Victron Smart Shunt - yes NO!

I have a Magnum BMK installed (shunt based tracks battery state of charge) and it displays my battery usage/charging/state of charge on my Magnum display in the "Tech Center" of my 2017 Adventurer.

It works great, was easy to install, and I'm glad to have it.

BUT.

To read it I have to open the Tech Center Door (Tech Center is my name for that place in my RV where all the monitors and controls are. They are behind a glass door) and look at the small display and then scroll through the info.

No problem really. But then I installed a Victron MPPT Solar Charge Controller in my solar install and started using Victron's phone APP to keep up with all my solar power details. After a while I started wishing I had the same for my Battery Monitor. So, I decided to change out the Magnum BMK for the Victron BMK so I could do just that.

The Victron BMV-712 Smart is the $225+ device most use. It provides a shunt and a round display that you install and not only can you see all your battery bank info on the display... but on your phone via that same APP that my solar charge controller uses. My plan was to remove the Magnum BMK and install the Victron - just for the bluetooth feature alone. Another $225 down the drain. See, my plan was to not install the display, but leave it "hanging" in the battery compartment where I couldn't really see it, but I'd have the bluetooth phone app to provide all the info I needed.

Then I learned that Victron makes a "Smart Shunt" that does pretty much the same thing - it has no monitor just Bluetooth functionality and it costs $100 less.

This was new news to me and perhaps it is to you, so I thought I'd share the info in case you've been wanting a Victron BMK with Bluetooth without spending $225.

https://www.victronenergy.com/batter...-battery-shunt

Mine's on order via Amazon for $130. I'll report back after it's installed. But since I'll just be changing out the already installed Magnum Shunt for the identical style Victron shunt this should be a 30 min. install.
Old 07-12-2020, 04:22 PM   #2
Site Team

I just installed the 712 and have the monitor in the stepwell. You can’t see it unless you are looking for it. The smart shunt is a better solution, as I have yet to look at the monitor since their Bluetooth app is so good. Good luck with the install!
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

We're waiting with bated breath to see how it works out for you.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:44 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I saw a posting on Sportsmobile.com that showed what looks to be a similar device:

https://www.thornwave.com/collection...dc-power-meter

This will lead you to the Sportsmobile.com thread that has a lot of good info on battery devices:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...re-357833.html
Old 07-13-2020, 06:58 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
I just installed the 712 and have the monitor in the stepwell. You can’t see it unless you are looking for it. The smart shunt is a better solution, as I have yet to look at the monitor since their Bluetooth app is so good. Good luck with the install!
I watched a 712 install video where the installer said the hardest part is installing the display in the RV and that he knew many people that didn’t bother trying. He suggested that you could just leave the display in a basement compartment. So that’s what I planned to do.

Now, this will save me $100 and the worry about protecting the monitor from the elements.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:37 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

The Victron Smart Shunt sounds like a great idea- no display installation or wiring to hook it up.

Unfortunately Amazon is not showing the 500 A shunt model, only the 1,000 amp model for over $200. Hopefully when supply catches up they will show it again.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:24 AM   #7
Site Team

Here's one at www.invertersrus.com

https://invertersrus.com/product/victron-smartshunt/
Old 07-19-2020, 04:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
We already have a MS2000 inverter/charger and I'm getting ready to install 2 Lion Energy UT1300 lithium batteries -- along with a DC-DC charger and battery monitor.

I think your post answers my question but just to be clear -- you have the shunt/monitor inside the battery box under the step and the Bluetooth works fine?

My concern was/is that with all 6 sides of the box being metal that the Bluetooth signal would be attenuated.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:52 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I have a "new" SmartShunt 500A/50mV (used for a week) in the box with the battery temperature adapter and two battery monitor cables. Only one or the other option can be used at one time. The temp probe is great for Li batteries. This is a Bluetooth device. PM me and it is yours for a fair offer.
Here is where I bought mine:
https://baymarinesupply.com/electric...y-monitor.html
https://baymarinesupply.com/electric...re-sensor.html
I tried to set up a Nissan Leaf battery pack array in a 12V configuration. The 14 packs I bought could not sustain a good Ah rating because I had to degrade the top voltage to 14.8V which is that of most LiFePo4 12V batteries. The packs were wired 2 in series, 7 units in parallel with a 12V 60A discharge/50A charge LiFePo4 rated 4s BMS on each pair.
Went back to AGM's to replace my failing 10 year old AGM's.
Now I have to find a way to dispose of all the equipment I invested in to produce this failed experiment.
Happy trails,
Rick
Old 07-19-2020, 06:54 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

What a bummer, Rick. Hopefully someone will want the Nissan Leaf batteries for something close to what you paid.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:58 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajohnson View Post

My concern was/is that with all 6 sides of the box being metal that the Bluetooth signal would be attenuated.
Your concern is well founded. If there's room, stick a cell phone in the box and see if another Bluetooth device can "see" it. It all depends on the nature of the box and the size of any openings relative to the Bluetooth wavelength.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:51 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Your concern is well founded. If there's room, stick a cell phone in the box and see if another Bluetooth device can "see" it. It all depends on the nature of the box and the size of any openings relative to the Bluetooth wavelength.
Thanks Bob -- great idea!
Old 07-19-2020, 08:40 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

I bought a $68 DMM that has Bluetooth and a phone app that works great...close up. Nothing I tried with the meter down in the battery bay of this DP would reach my phone up in the drivers seat. So watch out for that. Bluetooth is only going to go a few yards. And if you put a bunch of metal between the transmitter and the phone, likely you won't read much.

Depends on the RV of course, but I was never able to use my DMM for battery work or work on the tail lights or 7-Blade tow connector.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 08:57 PM   #14
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I watched a 712 install video where the installer said the hardest part is installing the display in the RV and that he knew many people that didn’t bother trying. He suggested that you could just leave the display in a basement compartment. So that’s what I planned to do.

Now, this will save me $100 and the worry about protecting the monitor from the elements.
I went that extra mile and installed the Victron monitor in the coach right next to all of the other gauges. Small pain, but in the end, I look at it every time I’m nearby—out of sight out of mind was my theory, at least for me. Also have the Bluetooth app. The app is great, and offers a much more comprehensive and robust interaction and readout than the gauge that one has to scroll through the cryptic messages such as total Amp hour, etc.

I do like having both, because when I want to see the voltage of my starter and coach batteries, which I can do so at a glance, without having to fire up the app. That said, the app is way better for the “Devils in the details”.

One thing I’d add, I’ve only been successful paring the app to one device, my iPad. Trying to also see it on my iphone as well, it doesn’t appear to be able to sync with two devices, even if you’re not using them simultaneously, unless, I got something wrong, but I’ve tried many times...
Old 07-19-2020, 10:45 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
I bought a $68 DMM that has Bluetooth and a phone app that works great...close up. Nothing I tried with the meter down in the battery bay of this DP would reach my phone up in the drivers seat. So watch out for that. Bluetooth is only going to go a few yards. And if you put a bunch of metal between the transmitter and the phone, likely you won't read much.

Depends on the RV of course, but I was never able to use my DMM for battery work or work on the tail lights or 7-Blade tow connector.
Good to know, thank you.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:52 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
I went that extra mile and installed the Victron monitor in the coach right next to all of the other gauges. Small pain, but in the end, I look at it every time I’m nearby—out of sight out of mind was my theory, at least for me. Also have the Bluetooth app. The app is great, and offers a much more comprehensive and robust interaction and readout than the gauge that one has to scroll through the cryptic messages such as total Amp hour, etc.

I do like having both, because when I want to see the voltage of my starter and coach batteries, which I can do so at a glance, without having to fire up the app. That said, the app is way better for the “Devils in the details”.

One thing I’d add, I’ve only been successful paring the app to one device, my iPad. Trying to also see it on my iphone as well, it doesn’t appear to be able to sync with two devices, even if you’re not using them simultaneously, unless, I got something wrong, but I’ve tried many times...
Good points, thank you.

I'm not a fan of cryptic icon and messages, but I do like lots of info available -- so it would be nice to have both if possible.

I have to try Bob's 'phone in the battery box' idea.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:40 AM   #17
Site Team

My Victron Bluetooth solar charger is both pairable with multiple device and is very strong, reaching all over in and around the outside of the RV.

What happens when you try to pair it with your iPhone to prevent you from doing so? Mine is paired with my iPhone, iPad and my wife’s iPhone.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:00 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
My Victron Bluetooth solar charger is both pairable with multiple device and is very strong, reaching all over in and around the outside of the RV.

What happens when you try to pair it with your iPhone to prevent you from doing so? Mine is paired with my iPhone, iPad and my wife’s iPhone.
Where is your solar charger located?
Old 07-21-2020, 07:00 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajohnson View Post
Where is your solar charger located?
Inside a basement compartment in the middle of the coach.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:30 AM   #20
Site Team

I wanted to circle back to this thread with an update:

The Amazon seller never shipped and later cancelled the order. So, I searched and found a number of sellers were out of stock. I found another seller that claimed to have one in stock so I placed an order and heard back right away that they too were out of stock.

Then I found one at the link I provided above (Post #7) at Inverters R Us and they not only had one in stock they shipped it immediately and I'll receive it tomorrow. I plan to install it this week before a trip next week.

I'll report back after installation to detail how it's all gone.