Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-21-2020, 11:34 AM   #21
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Victron Pairing

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
My Victron Bluetooth solar charger is both pairable with multiple device and is very strong, reaching all over in and around the outside of the RV.

What happens when you try to pair it with your iPhone to prevent you from doing so? Mine is paired with my iPhone, iPad and my wife’s iPhone.
Hi Creativepart, I agree, the Bluetooth works great on my iPad. But when I try and add a second device—my phone—I get a message to enter the code on the Victron, but there’s no code showing up on the display...thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9847428F-5607-4001-88A3-6E42D9B30F4B.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	377.1 KB
ID:	174294  
Old 07-21-2020, 11:37 AM   #22
Site Team

Yes, but your Victron owners manual tells you the stock code and unless you changed it then it's the stock code: 000000

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/v...and_connecting
Old 07-22-2020, 05:35 PM   #23
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Yes, but your Victron owners manual tells you the stock code and unless you changed it then it's the stock code: 000000

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/v...and_connecting
Thanks. That was it. I must have changed the default password on my iPad, so it remembered it, but I didn’t, so I couldn’t pair my phone.

Did a password reset and all is good. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-23-2020, 11:36 AM   #24
Site Team

54 min's to install

Maybe it's not a fair estimate of time to install, because I already had a Magnum BMK installed, But, the majority of time I spent installing the Victron SmartShunt was removing that Magnum BMK, so maybe it is.

It couldn't be simpler. Connect all neg load connections that usually go to the battery's neg terminals to the Load side of the Shunt. Run a new neg cable from the Battery side of the Shunt to your main battery neg terminal. Then run one positive wire from the battery bank to the Victron SmartShunt and mount the Shunt to something solid.

Done. 54 minutes total.

And, if I run a separate 12v pos power line to my starter battery and attach it to the AUX power connection (see photo) it will keep track separately of my starter battery.

$130 spent and it's totally worth it.

Here are the photos -
  1. SmartShunt installed
  2. My Negative Bus Bar to coral all the Neg loads easier
  3. The initial screen in the Victron App. showing 100% SOC but it was just in
    stalled 5 mins before so it couldn't know yet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	smartshunt.png
Views:	165
Size:	296.8 KB
ID:	174308   Click image for larger version

Name:	negBusbar.png
Views:	83
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	174309  

Name:	victron-shunt.png
Views:	91
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	174310  
Old 07-23-2020, 04:35 PM   #25
Site Team

Hey, I installed the 712 myself, which is saying something! Installing the shunt was strait-forward. My unexplainable fear of working with electricity isn’t! :-) if I could do it, anyone can.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:46 PM   #26
Site Team

Yep, that's very true.

HICCUP... The bluetooth is very weak with this one. I'm contacting Victron to see if that's just a byproduct if the electronics being sooooo small. But my Solar controller has far reaching Bluetuooth and this one... seems to go only a few feet. Inside the RV I can only connect in an inconvenient place directly above the compartment where this is installed.

If you're thinking, "Yes, Victron BMK at a cheap price". Well, be aware of this limitation.

That's a shame. I was hoping there was no downsides.
Old 07-31-2020, 03:37 PM   #27
Site Team

Last update on this subject.

The whole idea of buying the SmartShunt was to install it and use only the Bluetooth App to monitor my batteries without dealing with the remote digital display.

But why pay for a display if you're not going to use it - I wasn't going to install it. That's where this Victron SmartShunt comes in. No display but with built in bluetooth. Plus it's about $90 cheaper.

I leapt at the chance to install this.

Problem was, as I mentioned in a previous post was that then bluetooth was so weak that I could only connect the device to my phone when I was sitting right next to the battery compartment outside. That's no good. You want to be able to see the monitor inside your RV on your phone or your tablet.

Rather than do the smart thing and return the SmartShunt. I decided to fix it by spending an additional $50 to get a plug in Bluetooth dongle that Victron sells. You simply plug it in to a port on the SmartShunt. My thinking was that it was enough larger that it would have stronger BT signal.

SUCCESS! It works great and I can now connect to the device via my phone and tablet anywhere inside the RV.

Now, instead of spending $215 for the BMK 712 I've spent a total of $180. So it's no bargain and I don't recommend that others go with this product to try to save some money.
Old 07-31-2020, 05:30 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Last update on this subject.

The whole idea of buying the SmartShunt was to install it and use only the Bluetooth App to monitor my batteries without dealing with the remote digital display.

But why pay for a display if you're not going to use it - I wasn't going to install it. That's where this Victron SmartShunt comes in. No display but with built in bluetooth. Plus it's about $90 cheaper.

I leapt at the chance to install this.

Problem was, as I mentioned in a previous post was that then bluetooth was so weak that I could only connect the device to my phone when I was sitting right next to the battery compartment outside. That's no good. You want to be able to see the monitor inside your RV on your phone or your tablet.

Rather than do the smart thing and return the SmartShunt. I decided to fix it by spending an additional $50 to get a plug in Bluetooth dongle that Victron sells. You simply plug it in to a port on the SmartShunt. My thinking was that it was enough larger that it would have stronger BT signal.

SUCCESS! It works great and I can now connect to the device via my phone and tablet anywhere inside the RV.

Now, instead of spending $215 for the BMK 712 I've spent a total of $180. So it's no bargain and I don't recommend that others go with this product to try to save some money.
Thank you for this very helpful post!

I was concerned about the strength of the Bluetooth signal. In our case the SmartShunt would be installed in a steel battery box, so if anything it might be worse than your setup.

I may go for the 712 -- or perhaps the 702, or even 700. All I need is basic functions. I just found the 700 for $134 delivered.

I noticed that many of the Victron units are coming with the Bluetooth dongle now. I suppose the phone app would be nice, but realistically, once the novelty wears off, just checking the display will be fine.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:43 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajohnson View Post
I noticed that many of the Victron units are coming with the Bluetooth dongle now. I suppose the phone app would be nice, but realistically, once the novelty wears off, just checking the display will be fine.
I had a Magnum BMK that put this info on my Inverter display before going this route. To me it wasn't very helpful to have to go look at it and scroll through the readings.

I installed a Victron SmartSolar Charge Controller and started using the Bluetooth and App for everything - the SmartSolar doesn't even have a separate display, just bluetooth and the App.

That's why I switched to the SmartShunt. I wanted that same convenience of being able to check my solar and my battery's charge state from anywhere in the RV.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:50 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I had a Magnum BMK that put this info on my Inverter display before going this route. To me it wasn't very helpful to have to go look at it and scroll through the readings.

I installed a Victron SmartSolar Charge Controller and started using the Bluetooth and App for everything - the SmartSolar doesn't even have a separate display, just bluetooth and the App.

That's why I switched to the SmartShunt. I wanted that same convenience of being able to check my solar and my battery's charge state from anywhere in the RV.
Totally understandable.

We have an MS2000 so I'm familiar with the Magnum remote display/control. It's fine for volts and amps. I glance at it once in a while for that, but yeah, I wouldn't want to have to scroll through it for the BMK info -- especially since where ours is mounted -- just inside the coach door to the left -- it would be difficult. Just to read V/A though it's fine.

I haven't looked at the Victron 700/702/712 manual, but I can't imagine it's too involved to get the basic info.

<Later> OK, I just read the 700/702/712 manual. All 3 units are very impressive (on paper anyway). The 702 and 712 add the ability to monitor temp or voltage of a second (usually chassis) battery or 'mid-point' voltage (for batteries in series). Otherwise the 3 models are identical.

Oh, one other difference is the current drawn by the monitor with the display dark and no alarms. 700/702 draw 3 mA, 712 is just 1 mA. Probably not an issue for most people though.

The display scrolls from one measurement to the next, and scroll speed is adjustable. Just speaking for myself -- that's fine. Even if I had to press a button to scroll it would be OK -- the auto scrolling is even better.

I think I'll go ahead and order the BMV-700.

There are a lot of features that people generally don't mention, like a non-volatile memory that stores the battery "history". Pretty slick.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:01 PM   #31
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:

There are a lot of features that people generally don't mention, like a non-volatile memory that stores the battery "history". Pretty slick.
That where the Bluetooth app really shines. It displays the trend and history in an easy to read format, vs just the display.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:39 PM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
That where the Bluetooth app really shines. It displays the trend and history in an easy to read format, vs just the display.
That's a good point. I'll have to give it more thought. There's no rush.

As you probably know, the 700 and 702 need the Bluetooth dongle. I assume that plugs into the display, not the shunt?
Old 07-31-2020, 10:02 PM   #33
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
That's a good point. I'll have to give it more thought. There's no rush.

As you probably know, the 700 and 702 need the Bluetooth dongle. I assume that plugs into the display, not the shunt?
The Bluetooth is built into the display on the 712, which is why you can get better readings than when in a metal bay below.

I think you are correct, but I’m not sure about the dongle, since I don’t have that one...
Old 08-01-2020, 08:14 AM   #34
Site Team

I plugged the dongle into the SmartShunt, but would assume it plugs into the display on models with the display.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:42 PM   #35
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I plugged the dongle into the SmartShunt, but would assume it plugs into the display on models with the display.
That makes the most sense.

The owner's manual mentions the Bluetooth dongle but there is no illustration or description of where it connects -- and I remembered that you said yours plugged into the shunt and didn't work well. As you point out though, the SmartShunt has no display, so that's not an option.

Of course, by the time the cost of the dongle is added in, it may be close to the 712.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:46 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Of course, by the time the cost of the dongle is added in, it may be close to the 712.
Absolutely, which is why I'd give this SmartShunt product 2-thumbs down.

I'm glad I made it work for me, but honestly, I wouldn't recommend it.

But, I for one, would not opt to not have the bluetooth app access of the model 700. To me, the Victron Connect App is a main reason to buy Victron.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:07 PM   #37
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Absolutely, which is why I'd give this SmartShunt product 2-thumbs down.

I'm glad I made it work for me, but honestly, I wouldn't recommend it.

But, I for one, would not opt to not have the bluetooth app access of the model 700. To me, the Victron Connect App is a main reason to buy Victron.
All else equal -- price, features -- absolutely, the app is nice to have. No one would turn it down as a free upgrade.

The question is, how much extra is it worth? The answer will vary depending upon who is asked.

Personally, I'm not much of a smartphone user. My phone is primarily a hotspot when we travel. I have a couple apps for signal strength, diesel prices, etc, but I don't even carry it with me most of the time.

In any case, I would like to have the Victron app -- primarily for the 'history' data, but it's just not worth that much to me.

Others will obviously feel differently.

There are a lot of examples of this. Take options on cars -- one person's "must have" is something another buyer would not want for free.

The prices I'm looking at are $134 vs $207 (for the 712). To me, the app is not worth $73.

I see a 700 w/Bluetooth dongle for $193 -- that's still almost $60 more than the 700 alone.

I completely understand other people happily paying that much. In my case, I'm primarily interested in SOC. The monitor cycles through a lot of info including SOC. That works for my purposes. If I look at the historical data, it won't be very often so the display will do.

Maybe if I saw a demo of the app vs the monitor in use I'd change my mind.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:45 PM   #38
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
All else equal -- price, features -- absolutely, the app is nice to have. No one would turn it down as a free upgrade.

The question is, how much extra is it worth? The answer will vary depending upon who is asked.

Personally, I'm not much of a smartphone user. My phone is primarily a hotspot when we travel. I have a couple apps for signal strength, diesel prices, etc, but I don't even carry it with me most of the time.

In any case, I would like to have the Victron app -- primarily for the 'history' data, but it's just not worth that much to me.

Others will obviously feel differently.

There are a lot of examples of this. Take options on cars -- one person's "must have" is something another buyer would not want for free.

The prices I'm looking at are $134 vs $207 (for the 712). To me, the app is not worth $73.

I see a 700 w/Bluetooth dongle for $193 -- that's still almost $60 more than the 700 alone.

I completely understand other people happily paying that much. In my case, I'm primarily interested in SOC. The monitor cycles through a lot of info including SOC. That works for my purposes. If I look at the historical data, it won't be very often so the display will do.

Maybe if I saw a demo of the app vs the monitor in use I'd change my mind.
Having both, I really don’t like the main display for anything other than glancing at the coach and engine battery levels, which I will grant you, is very convenient, and I use that function most often. That’s way I spent the better part of a day installing the gauge in the main coach control panel.

It’s just painful to scroll though cryptic symbols for the details, it’s really a bad interface, IMHO.

I will add, that the Victron manual states that if you use LiFePro batteries, you should use the 712 (ostensibly due to lower draw), perhaps that’s just an up sell, but it’s there (near the end of the manual)...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3F31AFD0-E27F-45C3-A50E-D84C9EC96DCF.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	642.0 KB
ID:	174432  
Old 08-01-2020, 11:10 PM   #39
Winnebago Master

If the SmartShunt is used in an open bay, the front bay of a 5er, it may have sufficient range. In the belly of a coach? From personal experience, not a chance. Too much shielding. If someone with a bank in an un-shielded bay is looking for a SmartShunt PM me and we can talk about it.
Rick
Old 08-01-2020, 11:12 PM   #40
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Having both, I really don’t like the main display for anything other than glancing at the coach and engine battery levels, which I will grant you, is very convenient, and I use that function most often. That’s way I spent the better part of a day installing the gauge in the main coach control panel.

It’s just painful to scroll though cryptic symbols for the details, it’s really a bad interface, IMHO.

I will add, that the Victron manual states that if you use LiFePro batteries, you should use the 712 (ostensibly due to lower draw), perhaps that’s just an up sell, but it’s there (near the end of the manual)...
Thanks Wyatt, that's helpful!

I appreciate you going to the trouble of attaching that page from the manual.

I think it's a sincere recommendation (and maybe a bit of up sell), since the current draw of the 712 is 1/3 that of the other models. I actually read that page but it didn't concern me to much because I assume -- and need to confirm -- that the BMS in the Lion UT1300 will protect the batteries from being fully discharged.

Here's one of their FAQ answers:

"The Safari UT already has an internal Battery Management System (BMS) that acts as a safety net to shut down the battery if it is out of parameters. This prevents the battery from overcharging or discharging as well as operating outside of the temperature range."

The specs could be a lot more complete, but they do say:

"Discharge Protection Voltage of Single Cell: 2.5A" [sic, should be 2.5V]