Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-07-2024, 11:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Exclamation Time to check our RVs for critters intrusions

This week is time for the annual critter damage hunt, which serves more than just the purpose of protecting our RV from damage oddly enough.

Finally here in Victoria we will be getting a real cold snap, well at least according to forecasts. Cold snaps always see an increase in rodent intrusions for obvious reasons and RVs are a prime target even if parked in poorly sealed garages and especially long term RVs storage rental facilities. I also find that RV covers are in practice just an advertisement of free rent to pack rats and other critters here on Vancouver Island especially the highly invasive non native eastern grey and black squirrels that have replaced the native populations of western red ground squirrels almost completely in many areas of south Vancouver Island and the lower mainland of British Columbia in the last 30 years.

Trailers and RVs in general can and do become far too attractive to anything that can chew their way in or nest in many hidden places. So going underneath with a good light and checking any place that they can create or enlarge a hole in, is a good idea.

Where rodents are most likely to get in is not always obvious. And eventually removing the electrical covers, plumbing covers and cargo area covers as well as any covers over appliances might become necessary if any signs of intrusion anywhere are evident. Once in with an in out access they spread very quickly indeed and become sociable with others of their own species. Before one knows it the trailer is a rat or mouse apartment house with a for rent sign on it carried by the smell of the rodents. Mice which usually start the process are prey for Norway (Rattus norvegicus) and other aggressive species of rats and can start the process up the ladder in size of damage by rodents leading up to and including pack rats and squirrels. So the best thing to do is first see if anything at all has been in or is starting to chew anywhere around pipes, wires and any other access openings underneath the trailer with a thorough visual inspection. Then check for any signs of intrusion inside the unit. Or if a motor home especially check carefully around the engine compartment. Rat and mice nests can be very hard to find indeed and even so well hidden that they are very hard to eradicate once established especially in larger RVs and all trailers.

Rats and mice are very skilled at home renos and are consummate interior decorators with a taste and the teeth and tenacity for doing damage that can make even professional home renovators look like amateurs. Pack rats even have color pallet capable design skill capabilities and sensibilities on the level of Martha Steward

So far we have avoided this aspect of RV maintenance but our neighbor has been plagued with them getting into his vehicles, RV and house. Even chewing at the wires on top of the motor of a Toyota Tundra pull vehicle, which he found out is a very common problem with mice nesting and chewing through the insulation foam under the air intake plenum of the 5.7 toyota engine in particular. Then nesting and reproducing on top of the engine while chewing on wire insulation which to the young mice in a nest explore as a possible food source. The same thing frequently happens very easily in RVs especially around the appliances and power equipment, motor compartments etc.

We have seen Western Pine Martins in many places turn pickup trucks and cars into cheap rental housing units and those not so little critters, though cute and friendly can and do have a penchant for also acting like pack rats. Like pack rats they like to abscond with things that are colorful and especially absconding with pieces of thermal and noise insulation material used as heat shields on engine compartment fire walls! They think nothing of chewing on hoses and wires to get at it the same as pack rats do.

When working up north years ago we had to keep our hoods propped up with a stick to discourage encroachment by weasels and rodents and the critters were even worse on the camp trailers.

Here on Vancouver Island there are large numbers of pack rats in some areas and they can be really hard to deal with. Especially in some of the coastal recreation parks if one leaves the site for even a short day trip. They can do surprising damage in a very short period of time.

All that aside, I personally do not believe in using poisons to control rodentia as I have over the years seen dead eagles and owls near camp grounds and work camps. Trap lines for rats and mice, yes, when necessary but warfarin and other chemicals that can and do go up the food chain are a fools tools in my books.

In only the past 10 years there have even been skunks showing up in RVs and transport trucks on Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands that have started to move west. Careless and uncaring RV owners and truckers can and do easily transport and spread invasive critters. The last thing I would want to do is transplant more of the plague of eastern grey squirrels and Norway rats to areas of the Gulf Islands like Quadra or up island to the National Park or up further to Port Hardy where we love to camp. There are enough uncaring and blissfully ignorant people in RVs and vehicles in general doing exactly that already.
reeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 05:48 PM   #2
RVBob

New Hampshire Winter/No Rodents

I was told once that moth balls work. Rodents (especially mice) are very sensitive to certain smells. A quantity of moth balls could cost you if you're RV is large. So for 2 years now I have been using toilet blocks. The kind that hangs from the bowls edge and is straight moth ball. I put 6 in different places in the basement compartment and 4 in the coach. I also set traps and put a few green blocks used to kill mice. I did this to see if signs of mice were present. Not a single sign of mice in 2 years of storage. And the coach is parked on dirt at my friends wood lot. He has them in his park model because he wouldn't listen to me. Believe me it works. And it will drive them out if you're already in trouble with them. Start off by not taking the wrapping completely off. They will last longer.These blocks are much cheaper than moth balls at 1 dollar a piece at D. G.
Bob94lr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 08:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Rodents live in city sewers, they become accustomed to odors after a time. Entry prevention is the first line of defense. If a mouse can get their head through a hole, due to the lack of a collarbone they can squeeze the rest of their body throuth the hole.
Sure people say moth balls and ultrahigh sound machines keep rodents away, but there is no proof. Moth balls must also repel elephants because I've never read any complaints about them.
There is plenty of documentation none of these home-brew rodent deterrents actually work, just run an internet search.
What does work is Tom Cat mouse and rat bait/poison. I drop a cake of it down all plumbing and wiring holes in the floor every other year; no rodents inside since, not even dead ones..

Something that does actually work is, turn a black snake loose in your RV, you'll have no rodents inside. When all the rodents are gone the snake will leave too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 10:01 PM   #4
Site Team

I still am having perfect success with keeping those horrible squirrel things out of the Eagle5 through the use of a 5000 Kelvin LED rope light:
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...2m-365354.html
The best part is no paradichlorobenzene smell.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 01-29-2024, 09:57 AM   #5
RVBob

These are not sewer rats but field mice. They, as I can smell the deterrent on approach. The smell is so strong (something alien to them) they don't enter. This is a result of owning 5 pushers, four 5th wheels and at least a dozen pull and hybrid trailers over 50 years. Another thing I have seen is, of you bait they will come. Tomcat might kill them but they have to come to get it. It's just my own research by trial and error. What happens when the black snake leaves. More mice then more snakes! I guess you better keep a lot of snakes on hand!
Bob94lr is offline   Reply With Quote