Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-18-2024, 05:49 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Some Newbie 2006 Winnebago Tour Questions

Always join a forum when I buy something new.

Just bought a 2006 Winni Tour. Great shape 31k miles. I am going through the manuals and maint for the chassis and searching on YouTube. I have the following questions.

1. Trans temp gauge does not move, even on steady grades at 60 mph.
2. I assume trans service was never done. Any step by steps on this?
3. How do people get these things up in the air a little to service things like trans, filters, etc. I assume a set of solid wood ramps?
4. What else should I be looking for and servicing?
Ferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 05:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

#1. Check to insure the wiring is all there and connected.
#2.This is a messy job. You need a catch contaner that will hold about 4 gallons, 2 new filters, and of course new Transmission fluid of the correct type.
#3. Yes,, I built 4 wood ramps (for the 4 rear tires) from 2x8's of staggered length, with a bevel sawed on one end.
When adding the new fluid DO NOT fill to the full line, as the tranny will be over-full when at operating temperature.
BTW, Adding oil is not easy or convenient, the new fluid must go down the dipsitck tube; a tedious, slow process without the correct tools.

I assessed the situation and at my age decided to have a HDT repair shop service the Allison. They already have the tools, filters, and correct fluid..I think it cost $350.
Call around to find a shop that will service your MH and ask about pricing, if you too decide to hire the job out...
My transmission performance improved dramatically.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 07:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If the brochure is correct you are on a Freightliner Evolution chassis. I can highly recommend using the Freightliner Custom Chassis Service Center in Gaffney, SC. They are set up to handle just about everything. They can be a bit hard to get into this time of year. It may also depend on your location.

We purchased a 2014 Itasca Meridian with no service records and some sketchy items. I had Freightliner go through and do a full fluid and filter service. Now I have a baseline to work from. It is easy to swipe a credit card and leave the dirty work to them.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 07:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I crawled under it today and checked trans for wiring. I unplugged squirted all connectors to it. I will confirm under dash wiring in the next couple days.
I also finally found a decent set of directions for filter replacement. Previous owner confirmed he never did trans. At 31k I may as well do it.

If we find ourselves in sc I may look them.up. Until then I will need to do things. Went round and round with freightliner and winnebago trying to find out oil fuel and trans filter numbers.
Ferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 06:13 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Confirmed all wiring is present under dash. Everything looks healthy. Have to assume sender is faulty at this point, but I can't t find any diagrams that tell me where it is on the trans.
Old 03-20-2024, 08:20 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferris View Post
Went round and round with freightliner and winnebago trying to find out oil fuel and trans filter numbers.
As an RV newbie it’s important to realize your Tour is two things at once… a Freightliner Chassis and a Winnebago house. If you want info, parts or service it’s best to seek one for chassis stuff and the other for house stuff.

While it’s not unheard of it’s not super common for Owners to tackle large motorhome diesel maintenance work on their own. So, there’s likely not a large number of other Tour owners that can provide much input on these tasks.

Not to send you away but to provide some help there is a Freightliner Chassis forum on IV2. Here’s a link:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/
Old 03-20-2024, 08:46 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

No worries creativepart. Appreciate the link. I am definitely a do it yourselfer.
Old 03-26-2024, 01:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Just a recommendation to use a torque wrench for the transmission bolts. If you have an MH3000, the Allison aluminum housing is sensitive.
WatchMeRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 01:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

watchmrv,

I agree. I believe the tq is 38 to 44.

Tags
winnebago, newbie