Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2006, 01:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Found a small stain on dash...corresponding stain on trim at top of windshield...suspected marker lights so removed a couple and there is no gasket and so little caulk that I am surprised they aren't leaking worse. Has anyone here fabricated a foam gasket for these instead of using caulk? If so, did it work?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 01:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Found a small stain on dash...corresponding stain on trim at top of windshield...suspected marker lights so removed a couple and there is no gasket and so little caulk that I am surprised they aren't leaking worse. Has anyone here fabricated a foam gasket for these instead of using caulk? If so, did it work?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I have cauked around the top edge and sides of mine but there is such a big gap around some of them it made me wonder is they are supposed to be sealed. I thought it looked like any water that gets around them would just run on down the cap and come out on the ground at the bottom. Haven't had any inside leaks around the windshield or dash, YET, but considering everythink else thats probably comming. Will be looking for any other replys.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 07:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Gary - I am a long time lurker on a Newmar forum and leaking marker lights is also a problem with them.

Silicon was never first choice for bedding deck fittings on our boat. They would invariably leak after a few months. If you wanted a permanent leak solution - permanent as in you never needed to remove the bedded object, 3M 5200 was first choice. There is now 3M 4200 which apparently is removeable.

An alternative is to make a silicon "gasket" by laying out a nice bead and letting it set up for a couple of hours before tightning the object.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 04:35 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

John:

If I elect to go the caulk route, I had decided to use 3M 4200 since I want to be able to remove the lights if necessary.

I'd really like to use a gasket. I checked the Bargman web site and the lights used by Winne (model 59) do come with a gasket. Have no idea why Winne failed to use them. I plan to contact Bargman and see if I can get some.
Old 08-14-2006, 10:18 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

smlranger...I have had good luck making my own gaskets for marker lights out of old tire tube rubber or a large bicycle tube. Simply trace out pattern with a razor blade and then cut out the inside piece. I use a little silicone to hold the gasket in place and then tighten the light screws...never had a leak...I also drill a small hole in the bottom of the lense if it doesn't already have one...this if for drainage of condensation...good luck RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:10 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

My memory may be getting old (like me) but I recall pulling one of my marker lights out a couple years ago, and I thought they were mounted in a fiberglass pocket. The pocket was an inch or so deep and at the rear of the pocket, was a grommet around the wires which led into the inside of the coagh. I really thought the light itself didn't need to seal against the cap as long as the grommet with the wires maintained a good seal.

I do know if you remove the back panel in the front overhead storage compartments, you can see the rear of the cap where the marker lights come through.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:27 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RKL:
smlranger...I have had good luck making my own gaskets for marker lights out of old tire tube rubber or a large bicycle tube. Simply trace out pattern with a razor blade and then cut out the inside piece. I use a little silicone to hold the gasket in place and then tighten the light screws...never had a leak...I also drill a small hole in the bottom of the lense if it doesn't already have one...this if for drainage of condensation...good luck RKL </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great idea!
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote