Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-07-2023, 03:28 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

2015 Vista - Slide part fell off on floor

Yesterday when I retracted the driver side front slide a piece fell out on the floor. The Cortona parts list says it's a "Link-E Chain 50mm", but I can't really tell what it does. The other two slides don't have this part, and the slide seems to be working Ok. I'm going to call Winnebago and ask, but I thought I'd ask here first in case anyone else has seen this issue. And how to fix? The piece is one of the links in the yellow "chain" in the image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide e-chain.png
Views:	20
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	186899  
Old 08-08-2023, 01:40 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Customer Care tells me that the "e-chain" is essentially a rolling channel to protect the AC and 12v wires to the outlet on the outside wall of the slide and overhead light. Good to know, and for now since it's a single link that fell off I'll keep an eye on it but not worry about it too much. If at some point more links start to fall off I'll have address it, but I'm pretty sure that will involve removing the entire slideout.
Old 09-08-2023, 05:08 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Our echain came disconnected from the bracket today while extending the slide. Either the bracket it attaches to under the slide or the echain itself is gouging into the vinyl flooring and tearing the flooring when it is within in 6 inches of where the slide stops when bringing it into the motorhome. This then causes the echain to pop off the little knobs it is attached to. The echain is only on the one end of the slide. Never had this problem until today. Anyone else have this issue? It looks almost like that end of the slide needs to be raised a minimal amount to allow for clearance. Really hoping for suggestions!!
Old 03-20-2024, 04:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

wyocamper - How is the echain situation? I posted a reply hoping someone else with the same issue would join on since we are having the same problem.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:51 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Hi Meowtorhome, I haven't used the motorhome since that last post, other than to start it up now and then. I didn't notice any gouging or have any more links pop off since the first instance though. When I get the chance I'd like to lay on the floor and watch while my wife runs it in and out a couple times.
Old 03-20-2024, 08:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Wyocamper - we are definitely getting the gouging and cutting into the vinyl floor. We left it for over the winter ourselves and now that we are coming around to the season again it is on the top of the problem list. For us it is under the sofa slide and its a pretty tight area to work in. We made sure we each took a turn inside the coach and outside of the coach where the chain feeds into the storage area below so we could both see what the problem was as the slide moves in and out. I hate to think we will have to remove the slide to fix it!! in the meantime we have place a barrier on the flooring (a cutting mat that the wife uses for sewing) to protect any further damage to the floor. We have searched all over online and you are the only one other than us that seems to have the problem.
Old 03-20-2024, 08:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Would looking at the interactive parts drawing be of help to look at what's expected under there --without having to go look?
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

Click on + symbol in lower left before zooming, then click on any part on the drawing as away to keep that centered. Then scroll to zoom or click and drag to turn or move around the drawing!
Click on part you see and it highlights yellow and also pops up on list at right to give you a name and part number.
Same in reverse if you click the name, it turns yellow on drawing to help spot things you may not know where they hid them?
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	188604

Example only as I did not know which build you have, early or late. 7th digit of serial number of 1 for early, 2 for later? Serial number (NOT vin!) should be on label near driver!

Good luck on the chase!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 04:19 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I would suggest using a endoscope that hooks to your cellphone or tablet to see what is going on under the slide. I have this one and it is invaluable for working on RVs. DEPSTECH Wireless Endoscope, IP67 Waterproof WiFi Borescope Inspection 2.0 Megapixels HD Snake Camera for Android and iOS Smartphone, iPhone, iPad, Samsung -Black(11.5FT) https://a.co/d/dbHP82l

They are under $35 and worth every penny. I like this one because it also does video.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 08:33 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I would suggest using a endoscope that hooks to your cellphone or tablet to see what is going on under the slide. I have this one and it is invaluable for working on RVs. DEPSTECH Wireless Endoscope, IP67 Waterproof WiFi Borescope Inspection 2.0 Megapixels HD Snake Camera for Android and iOS Smartphone, iPhone, iPad, Samsung -Black(11.5FT) https://a.co/d/dbHP82l

They are under $35 and worth every penny. I like this one because it also does video.

Aaron
This seems like an excellent idea!
Perhaps combine the two ideas and it lets you see what it is expected to look like and compare with what it looks like now?

Sometimes the first best move is to get a plan!
Step one may be gathering all the info we need if we are into something new.
EDIT:
Whoops? Link seems to go nowhere?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 07:29 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
This seems like an excellent idea!
Perhaps combine the two ideas and it lets you see what it is expected to look like and compare with what it looks like now?

Sometimes the first best move is to get a plan!
Step one may be gathering all the info we need if we are into something new.
EDIT:
Whoops? Link seems to go nowhere?
I can't edit that link so here is a new one.

https://www.amazon.com/DEPSTECH-Wate...WK4/ref=sr_1_5

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 07:05 AM   #11
Ted & Lynne

Maybe. found endoscope on amazon. will save some contortioning for looking under dash

https://www.amazon.com/DEPSTECH-Wate...821851625&th=1

Tags
slide