Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-22-2024, 10:06 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Short term storage... Jacks and slides?

When I store my 2005 29R Sightseer between trips, I do so with the jacks and slideouts extended. I will exercise both the slides and jacks periodically. Is there any problem with storing it in that manner?
Saxpilot2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 11:10 AM   #2
Site Team

I store my motorhome with jacks and slides retracted. And, I think this is the norm. It is at my storage facility anyway. I assume that's what everyone does, but I've not seen it mandated anywhere.
Old 04-22-2024, 12:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

We have always stored with both retracted. Partly due to space limits when we stored away as they required it and at home as we had no room to waste!
Second idea on the slide is that there is less hazard for leaks, if the slide is in. Sun is a major problem in this area and leaving the slide out would tend to eat the canvas cover quicker?
As far as the mechanical questions, I can think of none the would matter one way or the other enough to make me change in either direction. Jacks and hydraulic lines may have more pressure and the cylinders might tend to rust but not one to worry me.
Watching to avoid letting on or the other battery go flat is far more a problem to many!
Watch them close until totally sure of what they will do as it is often a confusing problem.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 02:20 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Mine is stored at home. Usually with everything retracted. Currently, it is sitting outside with the front jacks fully extended to make sure the water runs off the rear of the roof. Normally it would be in the barn. However, we had a major plumbing leak in the house so all the furniture from that end of the house is in the barn in the RV bay. The RV has some iffy sealant on the front end so making the water run off the back makes sure there aren't any leaks.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 02:52 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I store with slides in and jacks extended. Rationale is to save the air bags and chassis from effect of air 'bleed down.' At Camp Freightliner Camp the recommendation was to store with blocks under the jacks to take some of the weight off the tires and similarly prevent effect of bleed down.
Old 04-23-2024, 03:25 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

From reading the posts it seems most store with the jacks up and slides in. I guess alot depends on where you are storing your rig. If at home, I guess the answer would be why not. If in a storage facility the answer would be why.

I like to have the slides in at home for no real reason other than why subject the seals, slide awning to more weather than needed. I am far from an expert but I do not see any reason to exercise the slides.

The jacks I store retracted as this way it keeps the cylinders cleaner. I can sort of see the exercise reason. To me it would mean put them down raise them up, not just leave them down.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 08:27 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Ours is stored at home.

We leave the larger front slide in because there's not really a need to have it open. The rear slide usually stays open because it has to be open to get in the bedroom drawers and that's probably how it was left when we returned from our last trip. If I take it out for an exercise drive, I may leave it closed, but it'll need to be open to pack for the next trip anyway, so I may open it to avoid a brief cold start and idle to get it open.

I generally leave the rear jacks extended because it gets us close to level in the driveway. Same thinking - it'll have to be leveled up in preparation for the next trip when I start the refrigerator.

I stayed in ours during an out of town work situation for over 3 years. Slides out and jacks down all day every day for those 3 years except for exercise drives and a vacation trip or two. After that I don't worry over the state of the slides and jacks much.
Old 04-30-2024, 10:03 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

If you store with jacks up and slides in, and there's a problem with either system, you can always drive your rig. If you store with jacks down and slides out, and there's a problem, you're stuck until you fix it or manually retract the jacks and/or slides, which can be a pain.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks, storage, slide