Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-08-2024, 12:45 PM   #1
Ted & Lynne

Roof Washing Footwear Choices?

So I figured I would take cover off the camper. Then I saw it needed a wash and saw on here folks wash once or twice. The roof was dirty so I got started. I soon realized how slippery a fiberglass roof could be with boat shoes. They are boat shoes. Well, they didn’t work too well. So I got my son in-laws golf cleats and went back up. They were a little better until I started to get stuck. What do folks walk on there roofs with when washing? Can’t go barefooted cause I can’t get up ladder.

PS don’t wear cleats on roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1389.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	179.6 KB
ID:	188476   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1387.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	322.6 KB
ID:	188477  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1388.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	506.3 KB
ID:	188478   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1385.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	513.6 KB
ID:	188479  

Old 03-08-2024, 12:45 PM   #2
Ted & Lynne

Also wondering what the spots are
Old 03-08-2024, 02:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I wear boat shoes and make sure to stay off the soapy part. Start at one end and do small sections, once rinsed they are fine for me with boat shoes or barefoot for that matter, I have been known to take my shoes off once I get on the roof.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 03:00 PM   #4
Site Team

Cleats? A joke right? If not it should be.

I wear the light hiking shoes I usually wear. It's slipery up there, sure. Be careful or hire the job out. I'm 74 and my wife says that I'm not allowed on the roof any longer. Fine by me. After our last trip I hired a local "detailing" company to wash and wax the RV including treating the roof with UV Protection.

Sure it cost money, but I didn't buy a motorhome to save money.
Old 03-08-2024, 05:33 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I wear old "tennis shoes", which are actually cheap walking shoes. The tread is deep enough to prevent "hydroplaning" type lack of traction.
I'm 81 so am more careful off the ground, my balance and reflexes are not what they were 10 years ago.I used to wash the roof every time I washed the RV.
One time I knocked over the ladder and spent 2 hrs on the roof before my neighbor came outside and heard me calling his name. Now it's secured to the main awning mount with a bungee cord. IMO the rear OEM ladder is an accident waiting.

I use the same solution of car wash soap, 3 oz, bleach in a 5G pail for washing the entire RV This removes and kills mold and mildew, plus air pollution stains on the roof and awnings, actually everywhere on the RV.
This is also a great opportunity to inspect all sealant applications for defects. Like when you hand wash your vehicle you notice new small scratches and dents every time.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof