Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-09-2023, 03:02 PM   #1
Ted & Lynne

Dirty Roof - Should I wash it?

I have a one-piece fiberglass roof and I did cover it this year. first year RV owner here. My question is this, the roof looks awfully dirty and wonder if washing is a must or preference. would it deteriorate faster from chemicals washing it or just let it be? I don't go up there often, but the plastic stuff up there looks a little dry also.
thank you!
Old 12-09-2023, 03:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Wash it with what you wash coach with . Coat A/C covers and bath skylight with 303 . Inspect it for wear and any problems with it . Then put a coat of wax on it with uv protectants . It will help keep it clean .
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 11:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

A wash with some wax in it is a good choice, you can watch some AZExpert you tube videos to see what a good roof inspection correction looks like for a Filon Roof which is what you probably have.
Old 12-12-2023, 01:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I use car wash soap all over my MH; plue I add a few oz bleach to the 5G pail of soapy water. My fiberglass roof has never been waxed or coated, just washed. It gets washed 2X a year, still white and bright, without any leaks.
That small amount of bleach isn't enough to harm the roof, awnings, or paint, yet it kills and removes mold and mildew, and the air pollution that settled on the roof.
BTW, I don''t care for utube videos, the producers are only doing it to make money IMO.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 02:31 PM   #5
Just Trying to Help

I washed the coach about twice a year, starting with the roof. The one time I tried to "skate by" and do the sides without the roof the dirt on the roof made a mess of my work the next time it rained.

No wax on the roof for me- it was tough enough to walk safely on it without wax!

I was on the roof a lot certain times of the year (removing leaves, mostly). I'd give everything a look-over. At least twice a year I'd closely inspect the roof penetrations and their sealants, and the awnings/slide toppers.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 05:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I wash the roof twice a year with the same soap I use on the body and all the cars. My feeling is a clean roof allows the new grim to slid off easier. It also gives me a chance to inspect the roof and the caulking. Besides when I look out a second floor windows of the home its looks better to me. .
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 05:56 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We bought ours and I was not able to get the roof washed before we had to store it for the year. After it came out of storage I wished I had washed it before I put it away for the winter. I just used a car wash soap with wax in the soap and it did a great job along with lots of elbow grease. Here are pictures of the roof after I started and when it was done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof 1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	512.4 KB
ID:	188062   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof 2.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	188063  

spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 02:58 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I washed mine once a year. It's a lot of work. But it looked good to others from the overpass.
Old 12-16-2023, 07:45 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

To answer your question,it's a must. I do mine twice a year along with a careful inspection of all sealants, which is more important than a wash. You didn't say what motorhome you have, but the Winnebago's and some others require specific care of the roof line with sealants. Incredibly important.
Sullivanclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 10:17 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I plan every year to wash my roof, I look at the ladder then look at my knees and convince myself to not do it.
Old 12-17-2023, 03:51 PM   #11
Ted & Lynne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullivanclan View Post
To answer your question,it's a must. I do mine twice a year along with a careful inspection of all sealants, which is more important than a wash. You didn't say what motorhome you have, but the Winnebago's and some others require specific care of the roof line with sealants. Incredibly important.
motorhome make and model in my signature. i got up there to put cover on and it just looked dirty. did not look too long but i will when i take cover off. looks like one peice but want it to last. its new to me but still young so i have a lot to learn.
Old 12-17-2023, 03:55 PM   #12
Ted & Lynne

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
I plan every year to wash my roof, I look at the ladder then look at my knees and convince myself to not do it.
sounds about right lol
Old 12-17-2023, 03:56 PM   #13
Ted & Lynne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Walker View Post
I washed mine once a year. It's a lot of work. But it looked good to others from the overpass.
lol

Tags
roof