Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-15-2022, 10:55 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Refueling MB Sprinter Diesel

Just took delivery of our 2020 MB Sprinter Diesel RV and when attempting to refuel at a PILOT facility, learned the "TRUCK" diesel fuel hose nozzle will not fit the Sprinter filler port. We usually fill at the "TRUCK" pumps.

In addition to being able to access the diesel fuel pumps, there is the additional benefit of accessing the infamous DEF hose on the "TRUCK" side of these facilities.

Any suggestions on how to defeat the diesel hose nozzle used on the "TRUCK" side so we can refill the diesel fuel tank and the DEF tank?? Or how do other Sprinter owners handle this??

cthiggy
cthiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 11:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We had a Sprinter. Refill DEF with jugs and a funnel. Diesel will have to be purchased at the auto pumps or maybe you could use a funnel with the larger truck bays. I would not though. You would deal with diesel smell from the funnel.
Goodscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 11:56 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthiggy View Post
Just took delivery of our 2020 MB Sprinter Diesel RV and when attempting to refuel at a PILOT facility, learned the "TRUCK" diesel fuel hose nozzle will not fit the Sprinter filler port. We usually fill at the "TRUCK" pumps.

In addition to being able to access the diesel fuel pumps, there is the additional benefit of accessing the infamous DEF hose on the "TRUCK" side of these facilities.

Any suggestions on how to defeat the diesel hose nozzle used on the "TRUCK" side so we can refill the diesel fuel tank and the DEF tank?? Or how do other Sprinter owners handle this??

cthiggy
You may have the misfueling restrictor which prevents you from putting gasoline in your Sprinter, at any rate the VW TDI Fueling Adapter is the only product that will work to allow you to use the truck nozzles as well as put additives in, it slips right in and opens the restrictor:
https://www.idparts.com/diesel-fueli...YaAlffEALw_wcB

Also if you do have the mis-fuel restrictor (it will be on your MB datacard plus you can see it inside the filler neck) you will occasionally run into gas stations that use the smaller gasoline size nozzle for diesel and you won't be able to refuel without the VW adapter.

Personally I don't find any advantage to the truck lanes, but then I don't pull a toad either. A 26 gallon tank does not take long to fill at the car island and the high flow truck nozzle can create a big mess if you're not careful. Also I use so little DEF (1,000 miles/gallon) I just fill at home with the boxes of Blue Def.

The biggest warning I can give you is to always, always double check to be sure you are pumping diesel, gasoline will destroy that fuel system before you are out of the parking lot. Do not be distracted and beware that BP uses the green color on their gasoline nozzles, been a few folks tricked by that. A lot of people sniff the nozzle first, I haven't got that bad yet.
Old 06-15-2022, 01:20 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
Personally I don't find any advantage to the truck lanes, but then I don't pull a toad either. A 26 gallon tank does not take long to fill at the car island and the high flow truck nozzle can create a big mess if you're not careful. Also I use so little DEF (1,000 miles/gallon) I just fill at home with the boxes of Blue Def.
I fill with gasoline, but I pull a toad and have not had issues getting around 65 gallons of gasoline with the car side of the stations. Generally fill only at stations that have two pumps in an isle. One of the pumps gets covered up, but I get plenty of room to pull out without hitting any of the barriers or another car.
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 01:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Another reason I don't use the truck stops is out West here they mostly sell B-20 which you want to avoid with your Bluetec engine. For my Bluetec engine, fuel quality always comes before fuel price. Chevron, Shell, 76, Phillips 66, Texaco.
Old 06-15-2022, 05:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thank you, one and all, for the very quick responses.

I'm probably being a bit anal here, as the main object was to get the benefit of refueling the DEF tank from the "Truckers" pumps to avoid the boxes and potential of receiving outdated DEF fluids from businesses which may not have the traffic the major truck stops experience.

BigB is correct in that a 24 gallon tank will not require much time to refuel at the "auto" pumps.

Thanks again,
cthiggy
Old 06-15-2022, 05:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

BigB, one more question.

What is the issue with the B-20 diesel fuel?? I am not aware of this,...and need to be.
Old 06-15-2022, 05:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
BigB, one more question.

What is the issue with the B-20 diesel fuel?? I am not aware of this,...and need to be.
Mercedes does not approve B-20 biodiesel, look in your Sprinter owners manual. They did loosen up a bit when Minnesota mandated biodiesel all summer because they had to or they wouldn't be able to sell their diesels there, but they said if you must use B-20 there are extra steps you need to take like monitoring oil levels closely and increased fuel filter changes.
Try to stay away from it, B-5 is the most you should use. ULSD with the green pump sticker is guaranteed to be 5% or less, and it's what Mercedes wants you to use.
This explains it all: http://www.sprinter-rv.com/wp-conten...iesel_rev5.pdf
Old 06-15-2022, 07:15 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

As far as DEF I have found Blue DEF at Costco to always be fresh, usually less than a month old. With the current shortages it's not likely anywhere will have old except maybe returned DEF from those who choose to hoard it then return it when it gets old. The Blue DEF date code uses "reverse Julian dating", the first two numbers minus 1 is the year and the next 3 numbers you subtract from 365 to get the day of the year. Looking at the pic below the GA refers to the plant, next 23 minus 1 is 22 so the year is 2022, next subtract the 207 from 365 and the result is a manufacture date of the 158th day of 2022, or June 7th (I bought this today to refill after next weeks planned 2,000 mile trip). For easy filling I use this https://www.idparts.com/adblue-def-f...gaApIwEALw_wcB and don't spill a drop plus it stops when full so no overflow. I have the saddle tank mounted in the compartment on the passenger side so I put the box on my Rubbermaid rolling cart or a milk crate then hook up and lay it down and let it gravity fill.

Incidentally if you do your own maintenance IDParts is where I get all my fluids and filters as well as certain OEM parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	defdate.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	183228  
Old 06-16-2022, 10:14 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Refueling Sprinter

BigB, you are a fountain of useful information.

Many thanks for your comments/suggestions.

cthiggy
Old 06-16-2022, 11:12 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Your DEf is going to last somewhere near 5,000 miles so you will make a lot of fuel stops with the tiny Mercedes fuel tank before you need to buy DEF.
dajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 11:59 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajo View Post
Your DEf is going to last somewhere near 5,000 miles so you will make a lot of fuel stops with the tiny Mercedes fuel tank before you need to buy DEF.
Indeed it is a small tank and I see the newer VS 30 is only 24 gallons, my NCV3 is 26. It's roughly 350-375 miles of useable capacity for me. I do tend to keep my DEF topped off though to keep everything submerged and avoid crystallization issues, and the dreaded "16 starts remaining" warning.
Old 06-17-2022, 07:51 AM   #13
Living The Dream

We have owned three Winnebago motorhomes on Sprinter chassis … every one of them fillable with a larger truck type diesel pump. I didn’t modify any of the three, just came that way. I do recall, however, seeing some previous comments that not all Sprinters were delivered with the larger fueling hole.

I actually prefer the larger nozzles, less foam while pumping as the tank nears full. Easier to actually fill the tank. Words of caution, though … I always fill with the pump nozzle latched on the lowest setting, don’t want to fill more quickly than the tank can take it.

YMMV
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 10:23 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Refueling the Sprinter

Well, allow me to assure you our 2020 Navion 24V is different as I found out the hard way here in Florida on 26 May. I had just picked up the Navion from LaMesa in Sanford (crummy dealer) and was on the way south to Stuart. Needed fuel, so pulled in to a Flying J Truck Stop and attempted to fill from the "Truckers" pumps as I had done so many times before. However, the large nozzle would not fit the fill port on the Sprinter. Had to move the vehicle around to the "Auto" pumps which had a smaller nozzle and worked.

Not clear why Mother Benz made that change.

cthiggy
Old 06-17-2022, 11:07 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Not clear why Mother Benz made that change.

cthiggy
I'm sure it was for the mis-fueling restrictor which may have saved a few folks:
https://www.google.com/search?q=put+...937&dpr=1#ip=1
Old 06-17-2022, 09:57 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I have the 2021 Navion 24V built on the 2020 VS30 chaise. I normally use the auto pumps but I have gone thru truck stops and used the large nozzles with no problem.
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 04:55 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
Another reason I don't use the truck stops is out West here they mostly sell B-20 which you want to avoid with your Bluetec engine. For my Bluetec engine, fuel quality always comes before fuel price. Chevron, Shell, 76, Phillips 66, Texaco.
I also live in Arizona and I have to say that I have almost never seen a B20 diesel pump out here. Perhaps it is different in Tucson but I don't see them here in the Phoenix area.

We used to use truck stops a lot, but I have lately found that many of them are much more expensive than some of the name brand stations and so I have mostly stopped using Truck Stops and reverted to using Chevron/Shell/Texaco/Phillips 66 and other name brands.

I always try to stay away from B20 diesel but the only place I have seen that much is in Texas of all places.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 05:38 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X3YHBVG...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Try one of, theses, works great to fill the DEF tank and you can take it with you.
Old 06-19-2022, 07:42 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2021 Sprinter based RV on a 2020 chassis. I don't generally fill in truck lanes but I haven't had any issue with the bigger truck nozzles fitting. As others have said, watch for that biodiesel.
NavOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 12:10 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Truck stop bigger Diesel hose nozzles.

I have a 08 View and the diesel truck stop nozzles are often too big to fit well in the Sprinter tank opening.

I find that I can place the bigger nozzle just partially into the tank opening and then manually pump the diesel in. Sometimes I do spill a little which also happens with a funnel. But it keeps me out of the truck diesel lanes!
Newman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel