Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-13-2022, 06:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

A/C Heat Pump trauma drama

Last night I decided to run one of the 2 AC/heat pump units on heat mode to take the chill off a little bit. I'm hooked up to 50 amp. After a couple minutes I could feel the warm air coming through. After running about 5 minutes the unit started emitting a very loud and scary noise something like a combination of a motorcycle and a truck jake brake. I got it turned off as fast as I could. My daughter smelled an odor, which I did not, so we opened up some windows and ran exhaust fan for a few minutes until it dissipated. There was no visible smoke. It was raining and getting dark so I did not investigate further. I'll go up there today and take a look. I'm expecting this will be big $$. Anyone ever had something like this?

2011 Itasca Meridian 34Y
KYBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 12:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sounds like a broken fan blade could have made the initial noise, remove the covers and give it a good inspection.
Old 06-13-2022, 01:40 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
Sounds like a broken fan blade could have made the initial noise, remove the covers and give it a good inspection.
That's a good suggestion. Coleman-Mach A/C went through a few years of fan blades that disintegrated. They've fixed those issues now and you can easily get replacement fans.

The covers are easy to remove - just four screws and you can get at everything up top. Of course, you have to get up on the roof to do the checking.
Old 06-13-2022, 02:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the advice. I went up top and took a look this morning and the fan seemed fine. I gave it a spin but I did not grab each blade to see if it was solid or wobbly. I also opened up the capacitor compartment to look for any sign of burnt wires, etc. I didn't see anything unusual but I'm no expert. I buttoned it up and and held my breath when I started up air conditioner (cooling this time) and there was no noise and I had cool air after a minute. I let it run for another minute or so but then turned it off because we were heading out to lunch and I was causing a delay. At this point, I'm optimistic but still a bit worried about what happened.
Old 06-14-2022, 08:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

don't forget there are two fans, evaporator and condenser
Old 06-18-2022, 03:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

What was the inside temp when you ran the heat pump? The head pressure can get very high if the ambient indoor temp is above about 65 deg.
Old 06-19-2022, 04:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Dancincampers,
that's a very interesting question. You told me something I didn't know. As I said, i just wanted to take the chill off so I may have been in the neighborhood of 65 degrees. The unit has been working fine for cooling the past few days so I am assuming that all is ok with the system. It will be a while before I will need heating but when I do, I will give it a try and keep your advice in mind.
Old 06-20-2022, 03:40 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Often there is a smell if the heat hasn't been used in a while. Dust always collects and dust will burn. The dust will burn off pretty quickly.

Tags
heat, heat pump