Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-16-2022, 10:29 PM   #1
Site Team

Stronger Drawer Latch on a Minnie Winnie 22M

The large drawer located beneath the closet on my 22M would pop open when loaded heavily. I would guess that the original latch was only offering about 4 pounds of resistance to open. I purchased two of the following from my local Winnebago dealer:
Part number = 117095-02-01A
Description = LATCH-DOOWIN-14
Resistance to open = 10 pounds
The dealer also had 15 pound latches, but I felt that two of those would be too much force. To attach the new latches, I purchased #6 wood screws, with ¾" of thread.

Deploy the bedroom slide-out.
Tape-off the areas where the latch base and hook will be mounted. Measure 8" in from each drawer edge.

Transcribe the plumb line onto the frame which aligns with the 8" marks on the drawer.

Draw a horizontal line onto the frame, level with the top edge of the drawer.

Open the hatch to the lower storage area to make room to remove the drawer. On the drawer rails, the release on the right moves down, and the release on the left moves up.

Measure the distance from the frame horizontal line to the bottom edge and add 3/32". On my drawer, this is 1&7/16".

Keep the latch base and hook connected together at this point. Align the inboard mounting screw with the plumb line, and keep the flat side of the hook flush with the frame. Use a small punch to start the hole for the #6 screw. I used the fixed mounting hole, and not the adjustable slot; one screw on each side.

Here both latch bases are installed, and the hook sides removed.

Mark 1&7/16" down on the inside edge of the drawer. Using the punch again, we will install the inboard side of the hooks by aligning them with our plumb line.

Here both latch hooks are installed on the inside edge of the drawer.

Here is the inside of the drawer with the blue painter's tape removed. I also removed the old center latch. Please note that the original latch was not mounted exactly in the center of the drawer. The 20 pounds of force to open this drawer is probably more than most folks would need. An option for others to consider is to purchase a single 15 pound latch and replace the existing 4 pound latch, however, I would replace the original #6 x ½" screws with #6 x ¾" screws, for additional strength.

Thanks, Eagle5
Old 06-17-2022, 07:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Wow Eagle, that was a great super comprehensive how to post. That’s so cool. I’m going to check ours and see how much force is needed to open it. We don’t used it too often. We do have a 2 week road trip coming up in July, so I’m sure that space will be needed. Heading out Sunday for a little 5 night jaunt.
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 08:04 PM   #3
Site Team

Hi Ron & Cindy,
I was storing heavy pantry items in there when using the Eagle5 for a day-trip to our cabin. If you are using it for clothing items, it should be OK, but who knows? I believe I had a very weak latch to begin with.
Have fun on your two week trip!
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 06-17-2022, 09:45 PM   #4
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Cabinet Latches

I added these to the heavy pot drawer and some cabinets where some plates flew out and broke. This is what they use on boats and they work well. You can latch down quickly just push the button.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	456419DE-C868-4F51-BAFA-8C6A593A80FF.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	348.3 KB
ID:	183245   Click image for larger version

Name:	319B7C56-660C-422C-A332-861A25BC54E5.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	183246  

Old 06-18-2022, 08:32 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
I added these to the heavy pot drawer and some cabinets where some plates flew out and broke. This is what they use on boats and they work well. You can latch down quickly just push the button.
Do you have a link for this type of latch?
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 11:46 AM   #6
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Do you have a link for this type of latch?
Hi Bob, sure! I bought them off of Amazon and when you click here to see at the bottom there are different versions in different colors pending on what you like.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Old 06-18-2022, 11:58 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
Hi Bob, sure! I bought them off of Amazon and when you click here to see at the bottom there are different versions in different colors pending on what you like.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Thanks, I like the idea of them compared to the "yank to open" stock latches.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote