Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-04-2024, 06:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Northeast Winter cover for Winnie Drop

I’m a new Winnebago owner and first time rv’er. What suggestions do you have for covering and protecting a Winnie Drop WD1780 during the northeast winter months?
JDiCintio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 07:39 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I do not live in the north east but have in north midwest. There is not much difference between winnterizing a MH, 5th, TT other than size.

I am not a believer in covering the unit. I look at all the RV dealers in the north and do you see any rvs with covers on them. I like the ability to enter the unit anytime I so choose with a cover that makes it harder, in my opinion. If you can a metal car port would be a good alternative to the canvass type cover.

I have read posts about covering and alot of the people who cover have to worry about items on the roof putting holes in the cover. Also ventilation in the winter is important.

I hope folks that do cover will come on and give you some positive feed back.

Good Luck
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 09:24 AM   #3
Site Team

Greetings JDiCintio,
As for me, I do well with a three-cover method:
  1. Waterproof wheel covers
  2. Purpose-built fabric body cover
  3. Lightweight plastic tarp to cover just the roof of the trailer
Here is how it looks on a Minnie Winnie:
Covering a 22M
Welcome to the forum.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 02-29-2024, 05:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I know this won't apply for the winter covering scenario, but I am now a proponent of covering the RV. Had mine covered now for almost a year with a breathable RV cover that was made for the RV model and purpose, and I really wish I had done it sooner as my RV is kept uncovered. For me, living in the south, the sun damage and keeping leaves off of it has been great, and its been through some pretty good thunderstorms and held up fine. It was a little pricey, but been worth every penny as the cost of wash and wax detail is at least double the price of the cover, and realistically triple that. But keeping covered lets me go much further between waxes and to an extent even washes. I haven't had any issues from having it covered, had way more with it uncovered.

And with a smaller trailer, its not too bad to get on off, does take two people but I suppose if you were thoughtful about it one person could get it on and off, just will take a bit longer! I would get one made for your trailer or at least made for rv's, Only using a tarp is cheap, but it won't really fit your rv and I think that it would be a real hassle to keep it in place, and I think the eyelets and what not being uncovered would increase the likelihood of scratches and other issues, where the purpose built covers take those things into consideration, have the corners built in and reinforced, etc. The tarp in addition to the purpose built RV cover makes sense as an extra layer for the roof! I cover the tires as well with tire covers.
CliffordM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 08:20 AM   #5
Ted & Lynne

I wasn't sure what to do about the cover. can't afford a carport for it but spent a lot of money (in my book anyway) on a Class A. I have heard from folks I work with not to cover the whole thing in a tarp. I imagine just the roof may be different but where I live the wind would whip that around pretty good in the winter. we decided to buy a premium camper cover from camping world (not where i bought camper) because they were on sale for 50% off. instead of $800 it was $400 minus 10% good Sam discount. my pool covers never lasted more than 2-3 years so hoping this lasts a little longer.
Old 03-02-2024, 09:39 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Ted I think you made a good choice.
CliffordM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 09:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

RV canopy or barn is the best way to go if at all possible. When parked outside we use wheel covers and window sun shades at bare minimum. I have not had good luck with the pull on full RV covers most would only last a couple of seasons at best. It didn't really seem to matter what the price or brand was. YMMV.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter