Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-09-2023, 09:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Go around northeast Ohio

A little rant, a fair warning and some incredible numbers. I’ll start with the rant which is about a speed camera citation issued in the Youngstown,Ohio area and mailed to my home in Conway,Sc. I grew up, worked and retired in a small town in western Pennsylvania exit 53 of I-80. Anytime the DW wanted to go on shopping trip we would head an hour west to the Niles, Ohio Eastwood Mall and the Youngstown Boardman Mall. I could drop her at the mall and I’d go check out the area pawnshops, the local Triumph/Norton dealer and my favorite place Star Supply which is a surplus store with everything from Jeep parts to windows and doors to industrial discards. In my 60+ years of driving I’ve never had 1 speeding ticket. Fast forward to present day and we’re now South Carolina residents licensed and registered. In 2018 we went back north for a summer vacation to visit friends and family. The wife and I along with another couple went to Youngstown for a day trip. We returned home to Conway 3 weeks later to find a speed camera citation in the mailbox clearly showing my vehicle and my South Carolina license plate. I regrettably paid with the only recourse would be a court appearance. Fast forward again to present time, we just returned home from a trip to Pennsylvania to bury my father. While there we did the Youngstown day trip with the same couple being very vigilant about the speed zones and guess what was in our mailbox on our return home, a picture of my South Carolina license plate. $149= 48mph in a 35 zone. I don’t think so. This time I think they’re going to have to whistle Dixie to get any more money from me now or in the future. Safe to say we’ll never patronize the area again..
So be warned, avoid all of northeast Ohio as the municipalities in that region are making millions of dollars in revenue solely through their camera ticketing program. I reached out to Ohio representative Patton , a retired police officer who has been on record opposing the practice but got no response, really didn’t expect much, just wanted to vent.
Here’s just a couple news stories investigating the revenue being taken in by the different districts and in most cases they get no comment from district leaders or the police departments in the area.

https://fox8.com/news/i-team-uncover...affic-cameras/

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/in...2-f56ff3b24008