Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-30-2021, 06:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Need generator and propane help

2020 29VE. Generator has maybe 3 hours use. Boondocking at a Cracker Barrel overnight. Generator worked for about half an hour now will not stay running. Also this morning we heated water for showers and started smelling propane. Thought the tank was empty but went we got it filled it only took 7 lbs (18 lb tank). When we turned it back on still have propane smell. We turned it off at tank. Can’t find anything in the Manuel that addresses this. Any ideas before we loose the stuff in the fridge and freezer?
CarpeDiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 06:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Propane leaks are serious business. Shut off the main propane valve at the tank until it is fixed.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 06:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
Propane leaks are serious business. Shut off the main propane valve at the tank until it is fixed.

David
Did that already. Would have replied sooner but went to get ice to try and save stuff in fridge/ freezer. Thanks
Old 04-30-2021, 06:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Did your RV have over 1/4 tank of fuel? The fuel line for the gen is set in the tank so that it can't use the bottom 1/4 tank so you can't run yourself out of driving fuel using the gen set.

Also, you can open the side door on the gen and press the stop button once and get a flash code , using the gen manual you can see what the code means, if the gen set stopped the gen due to a fault conditon.

Your RV has a propane leak detector mounted low near the floor in the living area that should have a LED that is lit if it is active. It also has a test button you can press to confirm it passes self test. If the detector is working and it has not gone off you don't have a dangerous condition, or the propane leak is not in the living area. That said, if you are smelling the odorant that they put in propane to give it a smell in or around your RV you should get it checked out.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I watched a very informative YouTube video from Bear’s Workshop. He did a thorough job of explaining to a novice different things that can cause the generator not to start or stay running. Turns out that my generator switch inside the coach isn’t working. When I opened it up and started it at the generator itself it started working fine. Thanks to all for your help and especially to him as I now have a/c and a fridge. Also some extra ice that I didn’t actually need.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

That doesn’t solve the propane issue, but that will get us through the night. Thanks to all
Old 04-30-2021, 08:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Glad you are safe, please report back what you learn about the propane. I would be concerned that if you smelled it but the alarm did not go off?

Also, any reason you didn't just transfer fridge items to outside fridge versus going for ice?

I had a EC-30 AGS from Onan installed on my 29VE when I first got it, I rarely ever have to start ort stop the generator as it it does everything by itself based on how it it setup. But I do you use the switches both inside and outside on occasion when I am home just exercise it.

If you do nothing else run that generator every chance you get (at least 2 - 3 hours per month). It will be your best friend.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 02:50 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

[QUOTE=dkoldman;3894305]Glad you are safe, please report back what you learn about the propane. I would be concerned that if you smelled it but the alarm did not go off?

Also, any reason you didn't just transfer fridge items to outside fridge versus going for ice?

The alarm did go off too..

We are full timers, the outside fridge is full as well.

I’ve not turned the tank back on since that night. As I’ve been reading, I have decided to call a mobile tech as I am not a wiz in this area and I’d prefer my wife and I live to tell the tale.
Old 05-05-2021, 04:17 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

If you get into questions on things like propane lines, where there may be more odor at one point than another, this is a tool I would not want to skip over as a way to see, X-ray style, where those lines run.

https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

Whether a tech will want to go there or just feel like he knows is often a question but for your personal knowledge, it might be handy, so thought worth posting as an example of what we might find.

A picture of the propane lines and connections might be a great place to start?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	propane.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	178701  
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:15 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Re the possible propane leak, I would recommend that you take a look at the GasStop Propane Shutoff valve. We bought ours through TechnoRV.com (who btw are a great resource for technical items for your RV). GasStop is billed as “The only device that will 100% shut off the propane in your RV if a leak should occur.” There are 2 versions - ACME style and POL style, depending on what type of tank you have.

Re your generator, I had a similar problem with my brand new Intent 29L. I took it to a repair shop & they replaced the fuel filter and cleaned up the carburetor & voila - problem solved. We now have almost 150 hours on our generator and (knock on wood) no further issues. One would think the dealer would have done something similar before I drove it off the lot, but apparently they have so much trouble with people stealing generators off new RVs that they wait to install it until it’s actually sold. I suppose meanwhile dirt & crud is getting into the gas line. Since it works fine for a while, the dealer assumes everything is good to go.
Fritos55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 04:52 AM   #11
2016 View 24J Profile

On a related note.....oil is a by-product of propane which will collect in the storage tank. When filling the tank, oil can be forced through the line to the pressure regulator and onto the genset. It can block the flow of gas and damage the regulator. I installed an oil filter between the tank and regulator after discovering oil leaking from the damaged regulator. The oil needed to flushed out of the lines and a new regulator installed but the new filter should prevent a reoccurrence of the problem.

Tags
generator, propane