Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-13-2021, 08:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Maxxair vent cover hinges frozen

The Maxxair vent covers on our 2007 Journey are frozen and I can't seem to get them loose so I can open the cover and clean/seal around the vents.
There are two on the unhinged side that secure with a small perhaps one inch carriage bole with a wingnut up top. The carriage bolt must not have the square head to hold it in place as when I turn the wingnut the bolt turns as well. I've sprayed them with a small shot of WD-40 and tried to put pressure on the bolt head with a wooden shim and flat heat screwdriver but it still turns. Bolt is not long enough, nor is there room to get a grip on it with a vise grip.

I'm looking for some advice on how I can get these open. Once open I can see replacement hardware kits available but I have to get there first......
Triton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Really hoping to get some advice on this string.... Surely I'm not the only one who has or had issues getting the cover to swing open?
Old 01-15-2021, 09:38 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

DIY often involves making things work even if we have to make it up as we go! Much of it depends on tools on hand!

When looking at a bolt that I can't hold in any other way, I assume it has to be cut out and I reach for a "Dremel- type" tool to cut it off.

As an alternate thought without knowing it would work for your case, is there a chance you could use a small tube and flood the hinge to loosen it up.
I use a fair amount of this stuff:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Blaster-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Get one of the types with a tube nozzle, extend it with some small tubing like a straw, etc. to get it far enough in?
Pour a bunch on, wait an hour or so and then gently try to work it?

Maybe hold the mouth just right to make it work?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

LOL. Roger that. Thanks for the prompt reply.
I had been thinking I may just have to try to cut it off.
I'm not (yet) and owner of a Dremel (odd, I know) but I may be able to get my small half size hack saw in there for some back and forth forever action.
Kidding.... I think the son in law may have one I can borrow right away.

I'll give it another shot when the climate outside is mild enough for me to wander up there.

Thanks again for the advice.

Tags
vent