Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2020, 08:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Journey Bedroom Headliner

So curious if anyone has had any issue with then vinyl head liner in their coach. I believe mine was a heat issue from a heat issue I had going out to Az. A turbo pipe was partial loose causing the bedroom to get pretty hot. I have a very small section over head of the bed about 10"off the wall is loose.

I want to fix it before I had home later this week. I use to do some repairs on car head liners with 3M spray adhesives, but was looking for any suggestions.

Thank you in advance
HollywoodGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 12:17 AM   #2

Since you said it's your headliner I can't imagine your bedroom getting so hot from an exhaust leak that would cause your headliner to droop.

In a lot of Winnebagos with foam backed vinyl headliners, they will droop in places; and the cure is not always ideal.

You need access to spray contact cement; and that means you may need to pull down a good corner of your head liner to repair a drooping area.

In you bedroom you have a center ceiling light that helps to hold the headliner. However, in other parts of the coach there is no such extra support.

So some people choose to add a ceiling strip of wood (see pictures) or they may pin up "star shapes" or anything they find acceptable that will help hold the headliner to the 1/8" luan (wood panel)... after they use spray contact cement.

This is the problem is that 3M 70 or 80 and even their 3M headliner spray will melt the foam and that cause the soft vinyl to look terrible when you glue it back up.

The same thing will happen with most other types of contact spray, but I found the Loctite 300 is the best one of the bunch. You can buy it at Walmart or Amazon.

Be sure to use a lot of it on the foam and soft vinyl; and be sure your contact cement is good an dry before you attached the 2 sprayed pieces together. A rolled up towel will help you smooth the soft vinyl out... and don't be surprised if your soft vinyl stretches a little bit.

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-Profe.../dp/B003VWL4ZO

NOTICE TO ALL: Never clean your ceiling headliner if you can avoid it! The pressure breaks the glue bond and within months of using vinyl cleaner your ceiling headliner will start to fall.

Winnebago charges $1500-$2000 per panel and they will not do spot repairs. In addition, you may be hard-pressed to find anyone to do this repair, because most never turn out very attractive. And if you go with new panels in some areas you need to know the new vinyl material will not match your old vinyl panel next to the repaired panel.

Attached are some ceiling repair examples.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180507_182315.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	176652   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180728_142915(0).jpg
Views:	70
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	176653  

Attached Images

imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Jumped into this a little late. Hopefully not OBE. Good comments from imprsd.

As you, our entire bedroom (three panels) detached and sagged overnight. Started with small "bubbles" along the forward wall. A determined DIYer, I pulled the aftermost panel. The OEM foam had deteriorated into something that resembled coffee grounds. I searched this forum and others for solutions -- none of which satisfied SWMBO.

Angel's Del Toro Upholstery here in Tucson re-covered our Easy Rest sofa and dinette. Since he also does auto headliners, we asked him to take over my efforts. He removed the OEM vinyl, somehow removed the crumbling foam, glued the OEM vinyl to new foam and reinstalled the panels. Beautiful! Well under $1000. Naturally, no mismatched ceiling panels.

Our experience -- small "bubbles" along the wall are indicative of imminent failure across the larger ceiling. Auto headliner shops are an experienced resource. With highly competitive pricing.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:43 PM   #4

Oldchinahand: Thank you letting us all know where we can find a qualified headliner repair shop! I googled Angels Del Toro Upholstery and was pleasantly surprised to see this business has a A+ BBB rating.

Here is the full contact info I will put in my address book for all upholstery repairs:

Angels Del Toro Upholstery
5294 N Casa Grande Hwy STE 142
Tucson, AZ 85743-9540

http://www.facebook.com/Angel-del-to...08527332648383

(520) 304-7957

https://www.bbb.org/us/az/tucson/pro...-1286-20090905

Are you saying the reused your old headliner material (so it will match your other panels); and then Angle's glued a new foam backing to the old liner material; and then they glued the new foam and old liner back in place? ...And it looks good as new?

WOW? Homerun!

HEADLINER PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE

Those ceiling pictures I posted are not from my RV. I saved them after searching the web years ago for some ideas on how to deal with a drooping headliner?

I know the dealer rate is $1,500-$2,000/panel and they don't want to do it... probably because customers are not satisfied with the results!

I also know that one falling panel (droop) will be followed by others. And while I doubt anyone would perform preventative maintenance on the ceiling by adding wood strips -- it's a good possibility that will help your headliner from falling in more places.

I particularly like one owner's solution in the kitchen where he outlined his fluorescent lights with wall decorative strips of wood.

NEW QUESTION ABOUT CAPTAINS CHAIRS

Has anyone had the captains chairs "improved" by adding more foam or more springs? My beautiful Winnebago/Itasca driver's seat is too spongy and that's just how they make them. I use a 2" foam/gel pad and that works pretty good. I sit higher too, which is safer when driving, because I see better over the wheel sitting up high.

I'm 6'0" tall and I don't know how shorter people get buy with these soft OEM seats? Plus a little extra lumbar support would be nice!

Why haven't they come up with a spring loaded chair that looks good and rides like a bus driver's seat or top-of-the-line truck driver's chair?
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:01 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchinahand View Post
Jumped into this a little late. Hopefully not OBE. Good comments from imprsd.

As you, our entire bedroom (three panels) detached and sagged overnight. Started with small "bubbles" along the forward wall. A determined DIYer, I pulled the aftermost panel. The OEM foam had deteriorated into something that resembled coffee grounds. I searched this forum and others for solutions -- none of which satisfied SWMBO.

Angel's Del Toro Upholstery here in Tucson re-covered our Easy Rest sofa and dinette. Since he also does auto headliners, we asked him to take over my efforts. He removed the OEM vinyl, somehow removed the crumbling foam, glued the OEM vinyl to new foam and reinstalled the panels. Beautiful! Well under $1000. Naturally, no mismatched ceiling panels.

Our experience -- small "bubbles" along the wall are indicative of imminent failure across the larger ceiling. Auto headliner shops are an experienced resource. With highly competitive pricing.

Thank you for your input I wish here in the chicago area I had a trim shop I could trust with this work. I own an auto facility and have done this type of repair but it has been a while. Plus with the cold weather it makes it more difficult to do. I believe I can get it in my building but it will take a bit of jocking.

I truly would like to find a place that can fix the panel, install a simulated wood floor and remove all the carpet and also some touch up. I have some very minor nicks that fall with in a few strips so a good break point
Old 01-13-2021, 06:27 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

IMNPRSD: Yep, original liner, new backing foam. Full disclosure - we had chosen a backup liner justincase. I liked the Sistine Chapel ceiling look a like. SWMBO over ruled that with a more neutral color. Luckily Angel solved yet another squabble by saving the OEM liner.

Caveat - In case you are inclined to stop here in the Old Pueblo to have headliner repaired, be advised, the adhesive had a strong chemical (not solvent) odor for about a week. Faded away after about another week.

Hollywood: With the exception of the headliner, the rest of your projects are well within the abilities of a motivated DIYer. I was pushing 70 when we ripped out the carpet and laid a vinyl tile floor covering. Celebrated my 73rd by replacing the vinyl with different color/pattern. (video of me wallowing around laying tile beneath the toilet would be an award winner on America's Funniest Home Videos.) Documented our mods in our registery on this site.

My larger point in this and other posts is this. If your issue is warranty work, your repair choices are defined. If, as are the three of us so far in this discussion, you are outside warranty, and, if you accept that basically we own trailer shacks on truck backs, then our repair choices expand exponentially.

Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 09:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchinahand View Post
IMNPRSD: Yep, original liner, new backing foam. Full disclosure - we had chosen a backup liner justincase. I liked the Sistine Chapel ceiling look a like. SWMBO over ruled that with a more neutral color. Luckily Angel solved yet another squabble by saving the OEM liner.

Caveat - In case you are inclined to stop here in the Old Pueblo to have headliner repaired, be advised, the adhesive had a strong chemical (not solvent) odor for about a week. Faded away after about another week.

Hollywood: With the exception of the headliner, the rest of your projects are well within the abilities of a motivated DIYer. I was pushing 70 when we ripped out the carpet and laid a vinyl tile floor covering. Celebrated my 73rd by replacing the vinyl with different color/pattern. (video of me wallowing around laying tile beneath the toilet would be an award winner on America's Funniest Home Videos.) Documented our mods in our registery on this site.

My larger point in this and other posts is this. If your issue is warranty work, your repair choices are defined. If, as are the three of us so far in this discussion, you are outside warranty, and, if you accept that basically we own trailer shacks on truck backs, then our repair choices expand exponentially.

So here is the deal I 100% agree with you about the DIY people. I have a large auto/performance and custom facility for 33 yrs. We have built and shipped Ford Raptors to the middle east. I own a few houses and have done numerous flips. I just down sized from a 5000 sq ft home on 6 acres to a 1500 sq ft home and it has a nice 25x25 garage and a 20x25 attached two story work room which is my wood/ welding hoppy shop. I'm now 61 yrs old and trying the trottle back. The Motorhome was purchased for a few winter trips and for my offroading hobby.

So between remodling the lake/cabin house, business, and regular house I was thinking just have someone do the motorhome and be done with it. I love doing the stuff but its winter now here in Chicago and Its kind of difficult to get it in my shop. So DIY couldnt agree more I have paid to have chit done on numerous things only to have to re-do them myself.

I do apprecaite your input and yes the glue can smell a bit. I use to fix the ones on the 70 Buicks that came down all the time.

Keep The Faith

Jeff

Tags
journey