Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-30-2020, 09:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hydraulic jack sticky

I have a 2005 journey 34h The left rear Jack is giving me issues Most times it will not retract have to use small floor jack to put it home. I have cleaned it a couple times with WD-40 then wiped it down it will work a time or two slower than the other three Jacks but then quits needing help again to return home I have put new springs on this Jack Any suggestions would be appreciated Thanks
Ranhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 02:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

My right rear jack does the same thing. I am sure there is a professional way to deal with it. However every other time I will spray the cylinder and springs with a dry lube spray. Do not use wd 40 it will collect dirt and you will be in a bigger problem.

The jack is still the last one home but it gets there just the same.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranhan View Post
I have a 2005 journey 34h The left rear Jack is giving me issues Most times it will not retract have to use small floor jack to put it home. I have cleaned it a couple times with WD-40 then wiped it down it will work a time or two slower than the other three Jacks but then quits needing help again to return home I have put new springs on this Jack Any suggestions would be appreciated Thanks
Thanks for the reply I do have a dry silicone spray I’ll try
Ranhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:34 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Try wiping them down lightly with transmission fluid it worked for me .
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I always use silicone spray on the jack what are slow to come up. It usually takes care of the problem for several weeks.

The problem really gets worse in temps below about 35-40 degrees.

I think the seals are getting old and dry.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:46 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2004 Adventurer 35U with HWH leveling jacks. I had jack retract issues with both jacks on the passenger side. Didn't realize slow retraction stresses the solenoids. I ended up burning up all 4 solenoids. Then the jacks didn't work at all. I replaced the solenoids. I manually released them to raise the jacks as the passenger side jacks were slow or wouldn't come up. I had to help them. I installed newer style springs and cleaned the jacks. No help. Last trip out in very hot weather I had a real hard time getting those jacks up. Had to pry up then use a jack. Decided it was time and I ordered two new jacks. Had to wait as HWH was out of stock. I got my jacks last week and installed them. All jacks are working as they should now. They store in 2 minutes or less. The jacks are expensive as were the solenoids but now the system is functional. As suggested I think my jack seals got old and dry.

Use care when dealing with this. If its HWH and the store mode is left on for 5 minutes or longer you risk burning out the solenoids as they get very hot. I didn't know this until the damage was done. A jack cost me around $485 each and the solenoids were about $185. I also put in anew shuttle valve. It wasn't bad so I have a spare.

HWH can rebuild a jack if you pay shipping and send them but the service center I got my jacks from said if the jacks do not meet HWH specs HWH will not rebuild them.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:05 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

According to Winnebago jacks should be cleaned with soap and water or wd40 wiped with clean cloth. I did the wd40 and it helped noticably.
Old 09-06-2020, 08:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Check the switch

Those rocker switches are notorious for falling apart.
Also, WD-40 is not the correct lubricant. Get a can of spray white lithium grease. WD-40 works temporarily, but it is a solvent that leaves the joints dry fairly soon. Just use a regular lubricant without any penetrating solvent and it should help.

Quote:
golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:21 PM   #9
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
I always use silicone spray on the jack what are slow to come up. It usually takes care of the problem for several weeks.

The problem really gets worse in temps below about 35-40 degrees.

I think the seals are getting old and dry.
They actually do mention in the manual we have, that in lower temperatures, the fluid’s viscosity will be thicker, and to expect slower retraction.

They also recommend silicone spray, when extended for a period of time, or near salt air, more frequently.

We spray them EVERY time we tract them, or when we’re at the beach, every three days.
Old 09-06-2020, 09:45 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Well my Forza 38W has been in she shop 2 weeks now for this plus several other issues. It all started the night before I was heading out on a trip called coachnet for help. The problem was mainly the right rear but I noticed the others retracting slowly. The Coachnet tech walk me through the means to get them up though to shut off the warning buzzer and lockout but had to use a jack to get it fully up. Went on the trip use the same method. Came home unloaded it and brought it to the dealer for all the work. I do have extended warranty but still waiting to see what is wrong and getting that and several other issioiiues fixed. Tech told me it was time to replace the piston... I asked is that normal on a 3 yo coach. He said not normally. We will find out next week what the fix is...
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:32 PM   #11
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1237dmctlc View Post
... The Coachnet tech walk me through the means to get them up though to shut off the warning buzzer...
WAIT! You know how to turn off the annoying jacks down beeper? PLEASE share...
Old 09-06-2020, 10:37 PM   #12
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg121 View Post
According to Winnebago jacks should be cleaned with soap and water or wd40 wiped with clean cloth. I did the wd40 and it helped noticably.
I guess I depends on one’s leveling system. Lippert says silicone, and since we have those, I trust that recommendation over that of Winnebago’s...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5E29B87C-DC3E-42D9-B070-0E2619710CB0.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	174909  
Old 09-07-2020, 07:06 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
How he explained it and it did work for me several times was tricky. What he has me do was hold down all for arrows for 20 secs then, mind you this was the tricky part, hold down the retract button while still holding the others down. Worked several times that day before I left for a camping trip and worked the day I was returning. This allow any jacks to retract either fully or enough to shut off the lights and beeping sound that jacks were down. I, then put a jack under the one that was sticking and still down a few inches to store it completely. He had said I did not need to do the last step with the stuck jack but I wanted to see if it would work.
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:40 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

WD40. To use or not to use.
HWH has a facility in Elkhart Indiana (HWH Replacement Parts - Stuart's Services), the owner Chuck Stewart recommends using WD40. The routine that was recommended is to wipe the extended jacks with a paper towel ar clean rag, then spray WD40 on the jacks. It has worked for me
Chocolate lab (Buster)
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:42 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks for the reply I do have a dry silicone spray I’ll try
HWH has some maintenance tips on the website, if I recall correctly. At one time they did NOT recommend washing the jack tubs with WD-40. Now they do. Silicone is not recommended for some reason. I use CRC Power Lube with PTFE. We all have to crawl under the rig a few times a year, if the rig is moved often and set up, to clean the jacks with a rag and cleaner. Another HWH cleaning method is a simple solution of soapy water and a rag to clean with.
Check your springs. I think the newer type are tapered on the ends. The old style were more squared. The newer ones are stronger. Yours may be suffering from old are. I resemble that one. In my case, replacement is not an option.
Rick Y
Old 09-07-2020, 10:00 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

my problem was one jack would settle after being leveled. i made an appointment with HWH in Moscow Iowa I80 exit 267. replaced one solenoid and checked and serviced entire system foe $250. Great people and very acommidating.
becken63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:06 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Jacks not Retracting

We have a 2006 Winnebago Vectra 40 KD and we noticed the left side jacks were very slow to retract. I had to help them up with a hydraulic floor jack. I replaced the springs and cleaned the cylinders with WD-40 and ATF but it made no difference. We made an appointment at the HWH plant in Moscow Iowa. We arrived the day before and found they had free hook up "Electric and Water" and a dump station on site. Our appointment was for the next day at 7:00 am and they told us to be at door #2. The next morning two techs opened bay #2 and pulled our coach in. They replaced my left two jacks and repaired a hydraulic line that was seeping by my left front slide. They finished the repairs at 9:30 am and the tech recommended cleaning and lubing the jacks with Dawn dish detergent. We enjoyed our stay their and they allowed us to spend another night camping their before we left for home the next day.
Corkyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:41 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Oh boy! My coach has a backup alarm module for a forklift. No kidding! Ear piercing. I even tried putting it in a bag of cotton balls. Didn't do much good. Here is the fix.
I bought a relay, double pole, double through. I wired it to a momentary contact switch. When I operate the switch the relay closes and the power to it is routed through one set of NO closed contacts, thus holding the relay closed. I wired the alarm to the free set of contacts using the NC side of the set. When the relay is operated the alarm feed is broken. When the ignition is shut off the relay drops off and the alarm is reinstated. Works like a champ.
Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 09-08-2020, 11:20 AM   #19
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Oh boy! My coach has a backup alarm module for a forklift. No kidding! Ear piercing. I even tried putting it in a bag of cotton balls. Didn't do much good. Here is the fix.
I bought a relay, double pole, double through. I wired it to a momentary contact switch. When I operate the switch the relay closes and the power to it is routed through one set of NO closed contacts, thus holding the relay closed. I wired the alarm to the free set of contacts using the NC side of the set. When the relay is operated the alarm feed is broken. When the ignition is shut off the relay drops off and the alarm is reinstated. Works like a champ.
Happy trails,
Rick Y
Thanks. I think I saw your workaround in another post. The Bain of my existence seems to be locating the beeper itself. So unless and until I can do that, I’m stuck In purgatory...
Old 09-09-2020, 07:23 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks. I think I saw your workaround in another post. The Bain of my existence seems to be locating the beeper itself. So unless and until I can do that, I’m stuck In purgatory...
Let's see if I can help with piratical indulgences.
Take a look to the right of the instrument cluster - dash center. There is a little thingy that could be your alarm module. Is that about where the sound is coming from? https://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2018/000037330.pdf
In any case, see if you can gain access to that area. I have no idea if you have access to the inside of your dash or how to get the dashboard off. I hope someone with that expertise will jump in at this point.

Another thought is to find the signal lead coming from the jack control module. Who makes your jacks?
Lets see if we can figure this thing out.
Rick Y

Tags
hydraulic