Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2018, 06:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Hydraulic jack problems

In our 34D we have the Workhorse Chassis with the HWH leveling system. When we parked it last the Jack's will not extend. Today we replaced the battery hoping that would help. We have the slideout rooms extended. When we tried to retract them to take it for a propane fill the rear slide started to retract and just stopped about 5 inches in. There's a clicking noise like it's trying to engage but just doesn't. Any one out there with any ideas as to what might be going on?
Cookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookster View Post
In our 34D we have the Workhorse Chassis with the HWH leveling system. When we parked it last the Jack's will not extend. Today we replaced the battery hoping that would help. We have the slideout rooms extended. When we tried to retract them to take it for a propane fill the rear slide started to retract and just stopped about 5 inches in. There's a clicking noise like it's trying to engage but just doesn't. Any one out there with any ideas as to what might be going on?
The jacks and slides operate off of the Chassis battery. Did you start the engine to bring the slides in? Weak Chassis battery (engine starting battery) can cause the problem. Was the chassis battery the one you replaced? I always leave my engine running to put the slides in or our.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Hydraulic jack systems

We replaced the chassis battery that didn't work. According to the book you don't extend or retract the slides with the engine running although I believe we have done that before. Then motor the runs the system doesn't seem the be engaging. We get a clicking noise and nothing more. We've checked all the fuses . None of them are bad.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
We replaced the chassis battery that didn't work. According to the book you don't extend or retract the slides with the engine running although I believe we have done that before. Then motor the runs the system doesn't seem the be engaging. We get a clicking noise and nothing more. We've checked all the fuses . None of them are bad.
Probably a silly question. Did you try starting the engine and then bring the slide(s) in?

Any chance there is a wire or cable on the battery that was left loose which could go to the hydraulic pump.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Hydraulic problens

We've checked that out as well. Have come to the possibility that the .motor that runs the system went gunny bag. In contact with the manufacturer to see if we can get a repair kit. As it turns out our particular system is obsolete. So we'll have to come up with another plan. There is a traveling rv repairman coming today to see if he can come up with some other options . Wish us luck.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

How's fluid level in reservoir?
Sunovatravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
We've checked that out as well. Have come to the possibility that the .motor that runs the system went gunny bag. In contact with the manufacturer to see if we can get a repair kit. As it turns out our particular system is obsolete. So we'll have to come up with another plan. There is a traveling rv repairman coming today to see if he can come up with some other options . Wish us luck.
I had a similar problem a couple years back. I went over the entire system and found voltage everywhere it was supposed to be, so that was not the problem. The DW got ahold of a tech on the cell phone and he went over all that I had done and agreed that it should work, but it still didn't.

He said hit it with a wrench. I told him I already had and he said get a bigger wrench. So I did, and behold, the damn thing came back to life.

When we got back home I pulled the motor and took it to an electric shop and had it rebuilt. Been running great ever since.

What happens sometimes is the brushes get sticky and don't contact the rotor so nothing happens. Tapping on it shocks the brushes back into contact. Also sometimes they develop a dead spot on the rotor.

Caution! If you smack the motor case too hard you can break the magnets mounted inside against the case, and then it will not work no matter what you do, so do be careful.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:44 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Also you should have a manual method of retracting the slides. On ours you open the hydraulic valves on the stack to release the pressure and then Winnebago provides a manual winch to pull the slides in. On smaller slides a couple guys can physically push it in.

Check your Owners Manual.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:28 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Hydraulic jack problems

Mine wouldn't come down once after setting the parking brake. We were in a pull through site still hooked up. Wife said do we have to uncouple. I said whats the point of a pull through. Finally disconnected the umbilical chord and voila it worked. Following night another site nothing worked. Finally I checked the parking brake pedal and found that the switch on the pedal had a disconnected wire. Reconnected and voila again. Following year alarm went off at 60 mph "Jacks down" Pulled over and one was down about 1/2 inch tried verything and no go. So drove about 20 miles checked and still same position. Finally hit a bump and alarm quit. Later one would not retract. Someone on Irv2.com said lower the jacks wipe them down wd40 apply some vaseline and no problem since. Now once a year spray them w/ wd40 and no more problems.
Frobogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:28 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frobogey View Post
Mine wouldn't come down once after setting the parking brake. We were in a pull through site still hooked up. Wife said do we have to uncouple. I said whats the point of a pull through. Finally disconnected the umbilical chord and voila it worked. Following night another site nothing worked. Finally I checked the parking brake pedal and found that the switch on the pedal had a disconnected wire. Reconnected and voila again. Following year alarm went off at 60 mph "Jacks down" Pulled over and one was down about 1/2 inch tried verything and no go. So drove about 20 miles checked and still same position. Finally hit a bump and alarm quit. Later one would not retract. Someone on Irv2.com said lower the jacks wipe them down wd40 apply some vaseline and no problem since. Now once a year spray them w/ wd40 and no more problems.
I would use a silocone lubricant instead of WD40. WD40 attrackts dirt and grime that could cause more problems. Silicone lube works good on your slide out rails, too.
litewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:47 AM   #11
RHW
2003, 34 Winnebago Pusher

Quote:
Just has the same problem it was the12V motor on the hyd system. Motor is obsolete but they have a replacement Monarch, RAP 90311- It replaces the HWH AP 2260 which is the motor # on my 2003 Winnebago Journey. You can order on line at the HWH web site. If you call I stayed on call back list for4 hrs.
RHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:51 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

HWH leveling system

Hi, I had the hydraulic motor fail on our MH (03 Journey) while on a trip. Not sure if yours has the same motor but I was able to verify it was the motor by checking for 12 volts at the motor while my wife operated a slide out. In trying to find a replacement motor I checked Amazon just for the heck of it and there it was! However it was pricey so I looked and saw the name of the company that was actually selling the motors and called them direct. They had it in stock (cheaper) and I paid to have it shipped overnight. Unfortunately that was last summer and I don't remember the name of the company. If I can find it I will post here. The gentleman we spoke with on the phone was very nice and said he keeps these in stock for the HWH systems.
dnrainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:27 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by litewave View Post
I would use a silocone lubricant instead of WD40. WD40 attrackts dirt and grime that could cause more problems. Silicone lube works good on your slide out rails, too.
HWH recommends using WD-40, not silicone, for their jack shafts.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:50 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

My '01 HWH slide and jack hydraulic system is under the living room slide so easy to get to.

I have had several problems with the slides and jacks over the last couple years and really enjoyed going out there with a rubber mallet and whacking everything under there. Usually fixed my slides doing that. Went through a period where whenever it got cold at night, next morning the slides wouldn't retract. Whacking things under there brought it back to life. Mostly.

Turned out it was the big ground lug welded to the chassis. There was corrosion between the ring terminals causing the intermittent problem. Once I reefed on the bolt on that lug (using a ratchet), the slides have worked fine since.

I did have the jacks stop working not to long ago, and when I went down below to check the in-line 40 Amp fuse under there, found that the fuse holder had gone bad and open circuited. Replaced it with a new fuse, which restored operation.

Check out your grounds. Here's where all the HWH grounds were tied together to the chassis frame on my rig. If it's corroded at all, that can cause all sorts of odd symptoms.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, hydraulic, problems