Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-21-2023, 07:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Help New Travato shudder when braking on test drive

Took my new Travato out for a test drive and noticed it ran a little bumpier than the last Travato I test drove, which ran smooth and broke smooth. Also noticed that as I was braking it would start to shudder and you could feel it in the brake peddle. Then when I accelerated I also noticed a slight shudder. Has anyone else experienced this ? Any one have any advice ? The rest of the unit is great, should I go forward with the purchase ?

Thanks
ourpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 09:33 PM   #2
Site Team

Greetings ourpath,
It could be something as simple as needing to run the vehicle a little to get the brakes to set. A shutter upon acceleration is usually either an engine miss, or an out-of-balance driveline. I would recommend that you hire a mechanic to take it for a test drive with you, and get an extra opinion.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 08-22-2023, 04:32 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Travato shudder when braking

Hi Eagle5,
Thanks for the response and the greetings. The Travato has 1300 miles on it from being driven from the factory. But they also said it sat for a couple of months. I am taking it out again today to see if the issue repeats, and then I am going to ask to drive another Travato. I am not from around here, so I dont't know any local mechanics. It seemed to happen when I was braking and slowed down somewhere between 20 to 30 mph. I will post how the test drives go today.

Thanks
ourpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 08:44 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

If it bothers you now, when on a short test drive, how much will it bother you driving it five hundred miles?
Current vehicles are VERY expensive to repair and warrenty work is often a joke that costs us lots of time and often money.
If I were buying this, I would want THEM to fix it and let me drive it before signing!

Big question? If they tell you it is something simple.
Why don't they fix it?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 10:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Could be a tire as well.
Old 08-22-2023, 02:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Warped rotor is one that comes to mind if it has disk brakes?

My thought is that if it is not a big problem, they should fix it once they know about it. If it is not a small one, I don't want to pick it up for them!
The difference should be obvious to a dealer who may have a service department.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2023, 03:25 PM   #7
Site Team

I'd think maybe that it's flat spotted tires from sitting in the dealer's lot too long - and probably in the heat since it's been hot everywhere this summer.

You might check the tire pressure, too
Old 08-23-2023, 04:02 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Could be as simple as the brake rotors are severely rusted from not being used Do another test drive and on the way to a highway ride the brakes while holding speed steady to clean the rust off the rotors and heat up the pads.

Then again it can be the driveshaft. If the damage was caused by the delivery driver the dealer is the one to handle the financial responsibility aspects. I can envision the delivery driver having to make an emergency stop and warping the rotors and ruining the new pads. At any rate all repairs should be performed before you sign anything.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 05:38 PM   #9
Travato 59K

No RV manufacturers align their vehicles after they build them. They come aligned from the factory, but adding all the additional weight changes the balance. One of the first things I do when I buy an RV is to have the tires aligned and balanced. That probably won’t help your brake issue. They should fix that to your satisfaction before you take possession.
Oneilkeys is offline   Reply With Quote