Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-13-2023, 11:12 AM   #21
DonMcF

Reattaching Hood Bracket

Our passenger side bracket came loose about 18 months ago. Fortunately it stayed in place and didn’t fall into the road to become a hazard. After determining that the cause of the failure was that the painted bracket hadn’t been properly prepped to adhere to the adhesive used at the factory, I decided to follow the lead of a fellow Vista owner and used stainless bolts and locking nuts to secure both brackets. They are holding well and don’t look too bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9611.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	186327  
Donmcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 05:19 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donmcf View Post
Our passenger side bracket came loose about 18 months ago. Fortunately it stayed in place and didn’t fall into the road to become a hazard. After determining that the cause of the failure was that the painted bracket hadn’t been properly prepped to adhere to the adhesive used at the factory, I decided to follow the lead of a fellow Vista owner and used stainless bolts and locking nuts to secure both brackets. They are holding well and don’t look too bad.

Great job, reminds me of another one I saw LOL. I only used two screws on each side of mine, but I also found that the three mounts at the top of the grill had also come off, and I put screws in those too. You might want to check the grill just to be safe. I also got a bottle of "Mocha" color touch up paint to dab on the screw caps after this pic was taken.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front-cap.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	186331  
Old 06-19-2023, 09:15 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

I need the bracket for my Sunstar. Any idea of the part number or what's it called?
ajkishgolf12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 11:01 AM   #24
Winnebago Watcher

We had a similar issue with the front hood bracket detaching. Fortunately we were on our way to Forest City and booked into the factory for service. When I inquired what they used to bond the metal bracket to the fibreglass, the service tech gave me the empty cartridge.

From the data sheet: Plexus MA300 is a 2-part methacrylate adhesive designed for structural bonding of thermoplastic, metal and composite assemblies. MA300 offers a combination of high strength and stiffness as well as the ability to bond a wide range of materials. Working time is 4-6 minutes.
I purchased several dual-tube "cartridges" once home, and had to use one several years later when a fog lamp "dropped" out of it's mounting in the front fibreglass cap. Plexus sets up very quickly in warm temperatures.
escrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 02:22 PM   #25
Ted & Lynne

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkishgolf12 View Post
I need the bracket for my Sunstar. Any idea of the part number or what's it called?
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm
this is where i searched
Old 06-19-2023, 02:26 PM   #26
Ted & Lynne

also, it was passed on to me, if you go to your user cp and add your year make and model to your signature folks can at least see the rig your asking about. enjoy the forums.
Old 06-28-2023, 05:16 PM   #27
Winnebago Watcher

I had that happen to 2004 Sightseer a couple of years ago. Hood bracket came loose. I repaired it with Marine Tex which has worked very well. It is a two part epoxy that is used for repairing engine blocks as well as fiberglass crack repair in boats. You can even drill and tap it for bolts. Just follow the directions on the box.
Sarjon52 is offline   Reply With Quote