Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-23-2023, 10:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2003 itasca bedroom slide keeps returning on it's own

I have a bedroom slide that return's on its own (about 8 to 10 inches) it stops there. I also have the left rear stabilizer moving slow and it won't return all the way it stops about 3inches from top.
AlgerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 11:23 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

If they are both hydraulic, it can be related. But to really check and know what is involved we need to know more about year odel and floor plan as the drawings are all sorted that way for looking at what parts you will have as different models use diffferent parts.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 01:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

2003 IFG33v Itasca Sun Cruiser, yes Hydraulic
Old 06-23-2023, 02:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Ok, that makes it sound like you may have two different items on the pump and control solenoids which "might" be the problem.
Those act as "valves" to let the fluid pressure from the pump go to the correct ram to move things. If something goes wrong with that valve, it may not pass the pressure as it should.
Some fail to work at all while others can get leaks at seals and things. A booklet on the specific brand you have might be the best first stop as it can have troubleshooting info.

On the jack that doesn't retract as it should, does your type have the large springs that pull it up? Those can get worn so that the pressure to pull it up is lost.
Old 06-23-2023, 03:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Yes and thanks for the info
Old 06-23-2023, 07:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

One way to do a bit of test but takes some manual labor type stuff?
If it is just a weak spring that is not put5ting enough pressure on to bring the jack up, we can do a little figuring and if we can get a long board, etc under the jack to then make a lever to pry up on the jack we can learn a bit there.
If we can then pry the jack up, it leans more toward a weak spring needing replaced versus the worse case of the hydraulics not letting the fluid go back to move the jack up.
My change of thought, explained? When down, the preesure is still on the jack and should release when we hit the right button to store. since it seems to be releasing to let the jack come part way up, I feel the solenoid and prssure is doing okay but then as it gets further up, the spring tenstion s not enough to keep pulling it up.
So by putting more pressure on, we know that if it were the pressure keeping it down, we are not big enough to move it up!
If you can move it on up by prying, I think it is a weak spring ??
Old 06-23-2023, 07:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

double post?
Old 06-23-2023, 08:54 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Assuming your hyd. leveling jacks are HWH brand; clean them with WD40, spray on/wipe off. Then wipe down with ATF, then wipe dry.
The jack piston seal often gets jammed with dirt and oil, gently clean the packed dirt away, without damaging the seals, before cleaning the jack piston shafts.

If the jack will not retract fully without help from a pry board, the jack shaft may be bent.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 08:04 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Just a simple thought. I didn't see anything mentioned about having checked the fluid level in the reservoir. You probably did, but sometimes the simplest things are overlooked. A low level would effect the operation of multiple hydraulic systems since all utilze the same pump and oil reservoir.
Ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 03:06 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Put some pressure on it with a floor jack and it did not move until the return button was hit.
Old 06-24-2023, 03:07 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Fluid was good, it was in between the lines just a little under the top line.
Old 06-24-2023, 03:08 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Will do thanks
Old 06-25-2023, 07:20 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford1 View Post
Just a simple thought. I didn't see anything mentioned about having checked the fluid level in the reservoir. You probably did, but sometimes the simplest things are overlooked. A low level would effect the operation of multiple hydraulic systems since all utilze the same pump and oil reservoir.

Yes, that is the tell-tale sign of air in the system. Air can be compressed and cause rebound, liquids cannot be compressed so do not cause rebound.

The easiest way to purge air from the system is to extend the slide (jacks retracted) then retract slide. Fill reservoir to full mark, then repeat this process until oil level remains the same.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 07:43 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Will give that a go Tomorrow thanks for the info!
Old 06-25-2023, 08:00 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

According to HWH, a slide "creeping in" can only be due to a bad retract solenoid (see Part 9):

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...mVhZjYwMDM2NzM

Even if this isn't the exact same model as yours, the solution is the same.

I had the opposite problem (creeping out about 10" over time) about a year ago on my 2002 Suncruiser and had the extend solenoid replaced, problem solved. At the time, HWH was unable to supply the solenoid due to supply chain issues but I was able to get it from Stuart's Services in Elkhart, IN. They were great to work with on the phone and shipping was prompt:

HWH Replacement Parts - Stuart's Services

I was going to do it myself but ended up having a mobile RV tech do it. I ordered the parts and installation was relatively inexpensive ($120 + $95 mobile service call). The valves aren't cheap, it looks like they're over $200 now. He did it in a tenth of the time it would have taken me, plus he had some sort of special tool. I'd ordered two solenoids so I would have a spare but I ended up having both the extend and retract solenoids replaced since there was so much crud in them.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 05:55 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

My experience on my '03 Adventurer was if the slide is retracting itself the extend solenoid if probably leaking. I don't know if HWH still sells a rebuild O-ring kit or not, but that is what I used to fix mine.

Tags
itasca, slide