Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-26-2013, 07:01 AM   #101
Winnebago Owner

Rick,
I am not scolding you, what I am saying is a comment such as Danny's is being
taken to literary.
I defy anyone that can say the filter is in good shape when they can see only a
small amount of the filter in most cases.
Mounting the filter away from heat is important I agree for several reasons.
Vertically mounting allows a duck bill valve to work better and to some degree
helps with the media being on end in longer filters.
On my current MH the filter is mounted to the side of the engine with access from
the top and after removing a panel it is removed out the side of the coach.
I do not know of any filters mounted to the top of the engine as that is not recommended because of heat, vibration and their size.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 05:39 PM   #102
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7auk View Post
Rick,
I am not scolding you, what I am saying is a comment such as Danny's is being
taken to literary.
I defy anyone that can say the filter is in good shape when they can see only a
small amount of the filter in most cases.
Mounting the filter away from heat is important I agree for several reasons.
Vertically mounting allows a duck bill valve to work better and to some degree
helps with the media being on end in longer filters.
On my current MH the filter is mounted to the side of the engine with access from
the top and after removing a panel it is removed out the side of the coach.
I do not know of any filters mounted to the top of the engine as that is not recommended because of heat, vibration and their size
I Think that filter inspections for the "L" cartridge is going to be a little easier to do because the inside and part of the outside are visible. Danny is not recommending 10 years for a filter nor am I naive and believe that can be achieved. I am saying that 3, 4 or even 5 years in some cases is achievable for certain designs applications. I think the Cummins setup is one of them.

As I stated earlier, I truly have no true idea how the Cat filter is mounted. If it is horizontal and in the heat area of the engine, it is under greater stress than the low mounted vertical one.

Danny never said anything about the glue failing. All the communications I have had with Parker Racor have indicated paper concerns. If the paper deteriorates the filter fails. WoW! No kidding! Danny says that there is a greater risk to the paper in the filter sitting in storage than when is service. All I can think of is that it is the moisture changes help to stabilize the paper, but too much will destroy it.

So, back to the filter mounting and design. The horizontal filter arraignment, if it exists, is more prone to failure because of the inability to control moisture buildup as compared to the vertical mount.

All of this adds up to one thing. Whoever chooses to change the air filter every 1, 2 or 5 years is the one who is footing the bill, all or any. Failures happen even with new filters. We are just trying to do what is best for our individual situation.

I am here in Gaffney and just paid 1200+ bucks for the services I could not do. I am pleased with the results and will return in a few years to do it all over again. And my air filter? I will replace it in a week or so. I don't know what it has been through and I don't trust it. Will I change it again in 2 years? If it is doing a good job and has no signs of deterioration I doubt it.

Happy Trails,
Rick

Tags
freightliner