Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-16-2013, 12:31 PM   #61
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
What a sad but informative story. I feel bad for you. So, this proves it can happen.

Now the question is about the date of the filter. Had the filter been services within 2 years?
I believe the condolences should go to the dealership's owner, since I assume it was he who absorbed the loss.

FWIW, there is a thread running here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/week...ce-176667.html with pictures of another DP's air filter coming apart while in use.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #62
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
I believe the condolences should go to the dealership's owner, since I assume it was he who absorbed the loss.

FWIW, there is a thread running here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/week...ce-176667.html with pictures of another DP's air filter coming apart while in use.
Today's couple of post just show why it is so important to inspect and
replace the air filter and DO NOT just rely on the filter minder, it may
not work do to damge or failure.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
edgray
What???...
You apparently have a much higher regard for dealership owners than I do!

If the dealer did "absorb the loss'', I'll bet that for that one absorbed loss there are thousands that he should have absorbed and refused to accept responsibility for.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #64
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
edgray
What???...
You apparently have a much higher regard for dealership owners than I do!..........
Well, apparently I do.

Its too bad you never met an honest dealer. I've met at least two that I can think of immediately; Lee Litchfield (deceased) and Marty Lowen of Coachlight in MO.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #65
Winnebago Camper

I was thinking a bit more about the 2 years and when I was picking up a new one at Freightliner. I asked why they don't design a longer lasting one. He said he rarely see's one go past more than 6 months except when used in a motorhome. He said that the number of diesel motorhomes is such a small market compared to the over the road trucks, and he rarely sells one for a motorhome, most are commercial trucks. He said I will replace mine at 2 years, meanwhile the trucker rolling down the freeway has probably replaced his at least 3 or 4 times, and if they are driven in dusty areas sometimes more frequently.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:12 AM   #66
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
I was thinking a bit more about the 2 years and when I was picking up a new one at Freightliner. I asked why they don't design a longer lasting one. He said he rarely see's one go past more than 6 months except when used in a motorhome. He said that the number of diesel motorhomes is such a small market compared to the over the road trucks, and he rarely sells one for a motorhome, most are commercial trucks. He said I will replace mine at 2 years, meanwhile the trucker rolling down the freeway has probably replaced his at least 3 or 4 times, and if they are driven in dusty areas sometimes more frequently.
My filter costs $110 and change. Would it be that much more money for a better glue and cover all the industry usages? Just look at the stuff they mount your car air filter in. It is tough as nails and will never fail in two years. If the paper has something hit it that it is not designed to handle, and is outside of normal, I just can't blame the manufacturer if it fails. I can if the glue fails after two years.

All of the conditions that you were told of only stand to reason. But if the stuff holding the filter together is that fragel who knows what it will do when one of the extreme but within normal conditions is met? Does the heavy resistance of the filter when it is getting near the end of its useful life put the glue in jeopardy? Will it give up the ghost under the heavy but within tolerance load? This new knowledge I have about the build of the filters gives me no comfort whatsoever. And I have no real choices that I have found yet in the product stability.

I am still hunting.

Rick
Old 09-17-2013, 06:00 AM   #67
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
What a sad but informative story. I feel bad for you. So, this proves it can happen.

Now the question is about the date of the filter. Had the filter been services within 2 years?
The coach was almost 3 and 1/2 years old and the filter had never been changed. I
believe it would have been covered if it had been a factory approved filter and in date.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:09 AM   #68
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
edgray
What???...
You apparently have a much higher regard for dealership owners than I do!

If the dealer did "absorb the loss'', I'll bet that for that one absorbed loss there are thousands that he should have absorbed and refused to accept responsibility for.
Why would you say this? You just assume that all dealers a crooks. While some are, most will do the right thing. We were in the Atlanta area and of all the dealers in the metro area, we told our customers to avoid only two dealers. They were crooks. We deducted the price of a new engine from our price. The last I knew, the guy was enjoying his coach and had no further problems with it.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:11 AM   #69
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I have really started a good debate here. Let me throw a bit more fuel on the fire. My Freightliner chassis manual states that the air filter is to be replaced every year or every 15,000 miles. Hummm. I wonder what lawer is writing their maintenance schedule?

As I read through the maintenance schedules I was amazed at what is required. Did you know that your oil lubed front hubs are to be drained and refilled every 15,000 miles or 12 months? Oh? You have greased bearings. They require repacking in this schedule.

I know I am falling flat on my face when it comes to meeting these requirements.

Mekanic brought up a good point. His industry cleaned and reused the filters. So, what is it with Farr filters? Are we so special that we need the worst on the market?

I will replace mine with the K&N washable filter. Many folks out there are very pleased with their products. I can't find any negative reviews on my web search. So why not go with what is trusted.
Good points Rick. The only thing I keep in mind is Freight Liner writes their manual on units running in the worst conditions. That protects them in all scenarios. And gives them something to hide behind when things go wrong. Too bad there was not a clause (except when running in these conditions) If they did it would be a fight to prove who is right.
Should be some thing like a clause covering Motor Home use. Most people don't abuse their units. Dealerships see a lot of units (trucks) that are junk even after they leave the shop.
I have read my chassis manual from cover to cover and have I decide what I am going to do.
narampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:26 AM   #70
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
One question not asked that I will ask now. How many folks out there have had, or heard of, a paper air filter coming apart and tearing up and engine? Any one? Even web rumors? Anything at all? Diesel mechanics out there, what is your input?
40 years as a mechanic,I have never seen this. But I would not go so far as to say this won't happen. Failure rates seem to be (and I hate the word) "Engineered" into everything made in today's world.
Most every thing we drive nowadays is throwaway.
narampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:32 AM   #71
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by narampa View Post
Good points Rick. The only thing I keep in mind is Freight Liner writes their manual on units running in the worst conditions. That protects them in all scenarios. And gives them something to hide behind when things go wrong. Too bad there was not a clause (except when running in these conditions) If they did it would be a fight to prove who is right.
Should be some thing like a clause covering Motor Home use. Most people don't abuse their units. Dealerships see a lot of units (trucks) that are junk even after they leave the shop.
I have read my chassis manual from cover to cover and have I decide what I am going to do.
Check your car manual. They do have two different maintenance service points. So, why not motorhomes?

It is true that truckers go places we don't often see. And their travels each day, let alone each year, are far more extensive than ours. I see the schedule as not realistic for our usage. If we were to travel that many miles each year we would never have a chance to enjoy life. Might just stay working the commute!

We are RVers riding on chassis manufactured by the trucking industry. Their stats for maintenance are based on that industry I must assume. Would it not be a great benefit to us if the coach manufactures put together the what failed and wen of RVs? Presenting this data to the truck manufactures might give us a little slack.

Someone mentioned Daimler and how maintenance heavy they are. And that is my point. Is the intensity really necessary for us? Or are their products substandard and need that much attention?
Old 09-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #72
Winnebago Master

Here is an update from: Parker Hannifin Corporation - Racor Division
P.O. Box 3208 / 3400 Finch Road
Modesto, CA 95353

"Two years is about average, though most last longer than that, the only
thing that should happen if you do not replace your filter is you will lose
power due to the restricted filter."

I have restated my request for clarity to them after this answer. I am asking if there air filter will break down after two years of service because of glue failure. So far it seems that Parker/Racor is not subscribing to the scenario. Their filter just does its job until it is too restricted to be of value to the engine. And, personally, I like that idea.

Rick
Old 09-19-2013, 11:29 PM   #73
Winnebago Camper

I know the Freightliner shop here uses the Racor filters. I would image there are not many manufacturers of the filters, probably 1, maybe 2 Companies that just package and label them differently. Here is a pic I took of the label in case I misplaced what part number to buy. The address is different than the one you are writing to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RacorFilter.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	46424  
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:38 AM   #74
Winnebago Owner

Anyone notice the part number is a Farr number?
Old 09-20-2013, 07:20 AM   #75
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7auk View Post
Anyone notice the part number is a Farr number?
These filters that are labeled Eco or Ecolite are all manufactured by Farr and relabeled.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:22 AM   #76
Winnebago Owner

That was my point
Old 09-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #77
Winnebago Master

One thing that I noticed in the picture of the filter that came apart is that the air was drawn from the center of the filter, thus the tornado looking filter material. My filter is "L" shaped and for it to detonate in that manner seems a far reach. the air flows center to outside. I wonder if the 2 year rule is generic?
Old 09-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #78

Quote:
One thing that I noticed in the picture of the filter that came apart is that the air was drawn from the center of the filter, thus the tornado looking filter material. My filter is "L" shaped and for it to detonate in that manner seems a far reach. the air flows center to outside. I wonder if the 2 year rule is generic?
\

Are you saying your outside air is drawn into the center of your filter and then flows out through the paper filter medium before it goes through the turbo and into the engine?
That means the inside of the paper filter medium is the dirty side?

On my coach the outside air is drawn into the filter canister, flows around the outside of the filter medium, then through the paper filter medium and finally out of the center of the filter into the turbo.....(the outside of my paper filter medium is the side that gets dirty).
Mel
'96 Safari 3126 Cat
Old 09-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #79

Quote:
\

Are you saying your outside air is drawn into the center of your filter and then flows out through the paper filter medium before it goes through the turbo and into the engine?

On my coach the outside air is drawn into the filter canister, flows around the outside of the filter medium, then through the paper filter medium and finally out of the center of the filter into the turbo.....(the outside of my paper filter medium is the side that gets dirty).
Mel
'96 Safari 3126 Cat
Old 09-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #80

Quote:
\

Mel
'96 Safari 3126 Cat
My message #79, (quoted above), should have been addressed to "jerichorick".
(I caught to late to edit without "jumping through hoops" so I re-posted it).
Sorry!
Mel

Tags
freightliner