Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-29-2022, 09:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

exterior damage and repair

We bought a 2004 Minnie Winnie in the fall and are getting it ready now to do some summer trips. Clearly I should have done a better job getting it checked out but now it’s ours, problems and all. Discovered one small delaminated area over the passenger door and now that I know what I’m looking for found a big one on the drivers side rear corner. The plywood is definitely crusty and partly rotten, I can pick at it with the ruler and a bug crawled out of it. 🤬

It was suggested to me to cover it over with some flex seal tape to at least keep more water from getting in… then what? If the plywood is rotten can this be fixed with epoxy injection or is that just for simple delamination?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	89112725-A593-4DF0-B648-385CD0869160.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	303.0 KB
ID:	182987  
Yakob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 08:07 AM   #2
Site Team

It depends on how far you want to take this. There are some videos on YouTube about exposing the luan (1/8” plywood) under the Filon (fiber reinforced plastic sheeting) sidewall and then removing the rotted section of luan and regluing the filon back in place. But that might be overkill, it’s hard to tell.

Luan is three thin layers of plywood, not thick or strong. If the layers are water damaged there may be nothing of substance to inject epoxy resin into.

I wouldn’t use FlexSeal tape on that edge, but Eternabond would probably do a good job of sealing and covering the gap.

So it’s up to you. Based on what you see and its location does it need a bandaid or surgery?
Old 05-30-2022, 03:16 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I don't think Eternabond is the best solution. Gorilla Tape will work well and will be easier to remove for repair. Removing the residue from Eternabond tape is a messy and involved project. Gorilla Tape also has tensile strength that Eternabond doesn't have so it will better secure the filon.

Gorilla Permanent All Weather Outdoor Waterproof Duct Tape is probably the most durable but it's only available in black. I've had some of this outside on my van for at least three years without any sign of deterioration. The tech specs list it as:

APPLICATION TEMPERATURE – Above 40° F, best at room temperature
SERVICE TEMPERATURE – 0° F to 200° F
INDOOR – Yes
OUTDOOR – Yes
MOISTURE RESISTANT – Waterproof

White Gorilla Tape is described as a "tough all-weather shell and UV resistance to prevent yellowing", but without the terms "Permanent" or "Waterproof". Its tech specs are:

APPLICATION TEMPERATURE – 40° to 120° F, best at room temperature
SERVICE TEMPERATURE – continuous-up to 150° F intermittent- up to 200° F
OUTDOOR – Yes
MOISTURE RESISTANT – Yes
STORAGE TIPS – Store in a cool, dry location. Keep out of direct sunlight

Whatever you use, don't use the garden variety duct tape. It will deteriorate very quickly.

Note, using Gorilla or any tape is a short-term solution. It'll be a judgement call if you think your delamination is significant enough to warrant repair of the delamination or to just repair of the leak.

I have a couple of spots on my passenger side under windows that show evidence of delamination (bulges) from old leaks before my ownership. They're about 8" to about 1' in diameter and have been stable since I bought my MH in 2007. I may try to fix them someday but my guess is that I probably won't. At this point they're mainly cosmetic. They're most noticeable in hot sun. I'm afraid that, if I get into it, one thing will lead to another. If they show signs of getting worse, I'll intervene.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 07:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

As Creative said, I would use Eternabond tape, google it, also YouTube, seal it but before there should be an attachment point for that trim strip where the screw has pulled loose. So I would inject some epoxy into that area and let it dry then you can screw the trim piece back in place. In second thought, glue, then tape and then put the screw back in. Bend that little tab up at the end of the trim piece and plull the white rubber strip out a little to expose the screw that was holding the trim in.
Just my two cents, hope it helps.
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 11:10 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

The challenge with Eterna-Bond is that when you do go to make a proper repair the Eterna-Bond will rip the outer skin of your wall off with it. That stuff sticks like crazy.
Old 06-02-2022, 11:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim myers View Post
The challenge with Eterna-Bond is that when you do go to make a proper repair the Eterna-Bond will rip the outer skin of your wall off with it. That stuff sticks like crazy.
I'm not sure about ripping the outer skin off, but it is a pain to remove. That's why I recommended Gorilla Tape for a temporary repair.

Here's a Youtube video on one method of removing Eternabond. You have to be extremely careful with step 4 or you'll damage your Filon. As an alternative, I've had pretty good luck by heating a putty knife instead of the remaining adhesive/sealant. You need to let the turpentine soak in for a while. I've had good luck with using acetone for the final cleaning.

https://www.rvwithtito.com/articles/...ernabond-tape/
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 12:20 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the suggestions. What I was able to get on short notice was flex seal tape and I’ve put some strips of that over the sections of loose filon I can find until I can get it looked at by a pro.
Yakob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair