Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-14-2014, 09:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Leaky skylight and water damage

As the title suggests, I have some water damage from a long time leaky skylight. I didn't realize the skylight in the shower was leaking because the water was down in between the exterior and interior wall. Now the wallpaper in the closet beside the shower is ripply and coming off as well the wall is spongy. I'm going to reseal the leaky skylight. But my question is this: is there anyway to fix the wall itself?? I suppose the closet cabinet would need to be removed but how in the world would I match the wallpaper?!
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 05:25 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deucenut View Post
As the title suggests, I have some water damage from a long time leaky skylight. I didn't realize the skylight in the shower was leaking because the water was down in between the exterior and interior wall. Now the wallpaper in the closet beside the shower is ripply and coming off as well the wall is spongy. I'm going to reseal the leaky skylight. But my question is this: is there anyway to fix the wall itself?? I suppose the closet cabinet would need to be removed but how in the world would I match the wallpaper?!
Contact Winnebago and see if they still have some that matches? Re-paper the entire bath?
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Are you certain it was the skylight leaking? I just had a similar problem. Was certain it was the skylight leaking. I was so wrong. It turned out to be a bad factor caulking job on the roof track seam. Upon close, very close, inspection of the seam I found a very slight depression. When I started digging at it with a pick point I found the sealant had a dirt under it. This is a sign of a leak. I used a small L pick to clean the full length of the track out and recaulked with Henry 212 clear from Home depot. I was careful to make certain I had no air bubbles. Work to fix the leak.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I'm pretty sure it's the skylight. I took the inner skylight liner out and a bunch of the screws were rusty. If it were the roof edge seam, then I wouldn't think those screws would be rusty. I might be wrong though.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it's the skylight. I took the inner skylight liner out and a bunch of the screws were rusty. If it were the roof edge seam, then I wouldn't think those screws would be rusty. I might be wrong though.
Not only were my screws rusty but the ceiling panel was coming apart. If the caulking on the roof around the skylight is not compromised your leak is not from the skylight. Where my roof track was leaking was at a joint in the track. That is where the caulking was missing. I did not realize that signs of the leak were there when I bought the coach last year in Ft Myers. Spending time in WA gave the leak time to do more damage. If you clean out and recaulk your track the worst thing that will happen is that you will prove me wrong and have peace of mind. I won't loos sleep over being wrong in this case. One test is to leave the skylight liner out during rains. Did you give the ceiling time to dry before putting things back together?
Old 11-19-2014, 07:45 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I haven't had a chance to take it apart yet. It's on my list for the near future. I have to wait for the weather to warm up so the caulking will cure when I apply it.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I haven't had a chance to take it apart yet. It's on my list for the near future. I have to wait for the weather to warm up so the caulking will cure when I apply it.
My '05 and this coach both were sealed with a self leveling, very rubbery, caulking. If the surfaces were clean when the caulking was applied I doubt it has come loose.

I was just on the roof today to check the one seam I hadn't gotten to. What a mess. It was split open in several areas. It took about 3 hrs to clean as much of the old caulking out as I could, clean the groove and re-caulk with Henry 212 clear. The seam is tight again. Got a few sprinkles from a brewing storm on me as I finished but the caulk can be applied under water.

I have a email to Winnebago about the purpose of the caulking; hold the roof cover in place or the water out of the coach? I just want to be certain that my thinking is correct. We had a moisture buildup in the cabinets. I don't know if it is from sweat or leaking. With the caulking being tight at least one potential problem is solved. I'll post when I hear back from them.

Rick Y
Old 11-22-2014, 08:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Hearing from Winn

good luck hearing from winny

g
rfonte649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:09 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfonte649 View Post
good luck hearing from winny

g
Attitude not luck:

Rick,

The sealant along the roof edge are mostly to keep water from weeping into the edge of the roof and wind from getting under the fiberglass edge. The sealant does act like a bond to help keep the fiberglass inserted into the rail. The slight cracking in the roof material is called micro cracking which is a cosmetic issue. This will not affect the integrity of the coach.

Rod Schlingmann
Service Advisor
[IMG]mailbox:///C:/Users/jeric_000/AppData/Roaming/Thunderbird/Profiles/dlnhv62k.default/Mail/incoming.verizon.net/Inbox?number=15284874&part=1.2&filename=image001.j pg[/IMG]

[IMG]mailbox:///C:/Users/jeric_000/AppData/Roaming/Thunderbird/Profiles/dlnhv62k.default/Mail/incoming.verizon.net/Inbox?number=15284874&part=1.3&filename=image002.j pg[/IMG]

Tags
leak, water