Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-28-2022, 12:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

HWH room slide manual retract screw/rod

have a 2003 winnebago adventurer 38g on w22 chassis. I had an issue with the living room slide which required me to try and manually retract. I followed the directions but the aft manual retract screw/rod snapped about an inch in. I have contacted HWH numerous times asking for help, as my slide is extended and I cannot move my motorhome. I have supplied all the relevant info but all I got back was a set of drawings for something else and havent heard anything else. If someone can tell me how to remove the threaded rod and perhaps where I can buy a replacement that would be great as unfortunately I have gotten no where with HWH. My options at this point is perhaps get it welded, or simply delete the slide completely, yes I'm seriously considering this. I have pictures, model numbers serial numbers etc etc to HWH with no reply back. Anyways the model number of the slide mechanism is AP27505. The rod is roughly 39 inches. I just cant figure out how to remove the rod.
Pictures are attached. Any help is much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220528_122720.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	182979   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220528_122619.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	182980  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220528_122629.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	182981   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220528_122613.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	182982  

BigAl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 02:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sounds like the work on the slide has not been done per the book??
Do you have the big info case which should go with each RV and has the HWH info in a seperate booklet?
My hope would be that the book would have more info than the standard user's manual that Winnebago provides online.

I did a check of that manual here and it referrs to the HWH manual:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...Adventurer.pdf

Down about section 2-21 there seems to be info on how to do it manually but it sounds like the operation has gone one step too far and tried to close without disconnecting the hydraulics? But at this point, if the hydraulics are disconnected and the manual is broken, I would expect to be able to "muscle" the slide back in but the hydraulics do have to be shut down first.

Do you have the book from HWH and tried there for info?
Have you looked for that manual online as it has to have specific info on how to find and open the correct solenoids?

Sorry, never muscled one in, nor torn one down to know how to get in to do that!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 02:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Hi
I followed both manuals to the t and the rod snapped as the room was moving in, had approximately 4 inches moved in. Unfortunately nothing on hiw to remove the rod.
BigAl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 03:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

This thread looks like it might have some good info: IF & That's A Big If My Slide Does Not Go In

Looks like you're going to need to drill a hole at the inner end to release that end of the threaded rod. Sounds like you may want to contact HWH (or possibly Stuart's Service) for specific info on that.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 03:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Okay, moving on from that angle!
Does the rod turn or does it seem like it is bound up/frozen at the point where it should turn to move the mating threads?
Since it looks like you have found a fair amount of space to get to the rod, any chance of turning it in some other way to slowly get it to move the slide in or out?

You certainly know more about the operation than I do, so can you clue me in on how the hydraulics work if the manual system is still in place? I assume when the hydraulics are moving the screw gizmo has to be disconnected in some way? So if that idea is true, is there a way to disconnect/ disable the screw, so the slide could be pushed/pulled brute style?

Maybe this post would give some ideas on where to get better info as there are several here on the forum who have been closer to what you have and had some recommendations for getting help?

Being a holiday weekend, they may notlook in for some time.

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...-360655-2.html
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2022, 05:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Save yourself a lot of time and contact Paul Maddox, aka azpete, a Winnieowner. Paul is an HWH employee who's helped me and many others with HWH issues. You can PM him or, better yet, contact him directly at [email protected] or call him at 602-549-3638. He's published this information on Winnieowners and it's sister site IRV2.com so don't be reluctant to use it.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 08:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I had the same problem my large slide on the driver's side would not com in hydraulically and when I tried to retract it manually one of the screws broke. It had somehow got frozen in place. The system was working but it could not pull it in. I was desperate and so I sprayed everything with WD 40 and then it came right in. I was going out west and so I scheduled an Appointment with HWH and they replaced the screw for me . While I was there they fixed a back slide that would creep out after it was pulled in. I have a 2004 itasca Horizon.
Old 06-02-2022, 03:09 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I guess my slide has to be different. I have to unlock the system from the motor with the little lever. Is there a lock hiding on yours?
Old 06-02-2022, 11:08 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

There is a guy on YT that has a video on manual retraction, I think his name is Kevin Caudill, the threaded rod runs through a nylon threaded block and the nylon block is supposed to be the sacrificial lamp in the system. In the OP's case it just might be plain old fashioned corrosion.

I have tries to locate where to lubricate that rod and it is mostly enclosed on my Journey. Hope the OP can get this resolved and look forward to hearing how it was resolved for him.

Tags
hwh, manual, scr, slide