Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-21-2023, 03:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2019 Navion 24D slide out crooked

Lippert slide out, controller model LCI 366701

Front slide portion is extended about 2 inches, but back slide portion never extended. Attempting to use slide in button does not retract slide.

I've deenergized and reenergized the controller. Unplugged one motor, then the other, swapped plug/cable combinations, and tried to retract. No joy in any combination.

I have not yet performed page 24 "Manual Override Mode - Auto-Program Controllers" to disengage motor and manually retract because there is rain the next day or so and I don't want to have the RV not be sealed. My weather seals that I think I have to pull off to get to the slide motor seem to be glued on.

Any thoughts about what I could/should do before I start pulling off weather seals or bringing this thing to a repair facility?

Manual for my slide: https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd-0004319.pdf
Old 12-22-2023, 11:28 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Update with more symptoms

Disengaged controller. Took off decorative trim, weather seals, and structural hold down. Disengaged motor. Realigned front and back.

Restored strutural hold down. Reengaged controller.

Now, front and back move, but I'm not sure they move at the same rate. I'll provide update on this later.

Front motor does sound strained.

Lippert 366701 Controller throws Motor 1 fault (1 green, 4 red).

Thoughts?
Old 12-22-2023, 12:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Not read the manual on this specific type but there is a process they recommend to help the motors stay together. Since each motor will work slightly different, they often recommend just holding button a few seconds after it looks like the slide is fully out or in as it is designed to have some "slack" and that lets the slower motor and gear catch up.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 05:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I tried that to no avail. Another update coming in now.
Old 12-22-2023, 05:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Update with yet more symptoms

Took off inner trim pieces to get to watch the motor to determine the sound.

Jogged out a couple of inches. Noise now gone...but...

Now the front motor (the one that was squealing a bit ago) seems to be faster on the extending cycle than the back motor.

Extended about 1 foot. Front it about an inch further out.

Retracted the same 1 foot. Front is now 1 to 2 inches out when the back is fully retracted.

I'm taking the day now. I now know I can get to and replace either or both motors and the controller. I'd be annoyed, but not $1K annoyed.
Old 12-22-2023, 05:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I know I said I was taking the day. I lied.

I just attempted to use emergency jog (one motor at a time) to retract back to even. When I pressed IN, it moved OUT. I unplugged it and plugged it back in to the controller. When I pressed IN, it moved IN.

Why does it INTERMITTENTLY go the opposite direction? I suspect the controller has lost everything. Sometimes it thinks it's at the stops. Sometimes it gets the demand signals backwards.

I'm gonna bite the bullet and get a new controller and try that.
Old 12-22-2023, 05:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:

Retracted the same 1 foot. Front is now 1 to 2 inches out when the back is fully retracted.

Am I reading this right? When going out the front is faster and getting ahead?
But coming back in the front is slower and left even further out than the other?

I think of these motors as simple direct current motors which run in opposite directions if the polarity of the power is swapped.
If that is all true, one motor is faster going out, then slower coming back in?
Since all the parts of the motor are the same when going out or coming in, I might first look at what it takes to swap the motors and see if it follows the motor?
Next, I might look at swapping out the controller.
Not sure I can see how this is working if all that is what it's doing! Sorry, No really good ideas!
Old 12-22-2023, 07:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Yes, you're reading that right. Here's what I think is happening...the controller is intermittently sending signals, sometimes right, sometimes not, sometimes out of good timing, sometimes not, to the motors.

This is resulting in...interesting outputs.

Best case scenario...after I buy and install the new controller, everything clears up.

Worst case scenario...there is a voltage or grounding issue that is making one or both of the motors act crazy.
Old 12-22-2023, 09:36 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I'd do the simple, free things first. Completely disconnect (one at a time) each ground connection, clean and re-attach. Do the same for the pos connections. This includes all connection plugs in the wiring. Don't forget battery cable connections. Test again.

That few hours of work isn't worth more than that $1k though, right?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 07:18 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

A bit of contact cleaning in any plug in ports on the controller might also be a good idea?
Old 12-23-2023, 08:00 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

. I did those things as well as I know how.
Old 12-24-2023, 12:28 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

2023-12-24 refresh on all symptoms from initial onset

****First symptoms:

Lippert slide out, controller model LCI 366701

Front slide portion is extended about 2 inches, but back slide portion never extended. Attempting to use slide in button does not retract slide.

I've deenergized and reenergized the controller. Unplugged one motor, then the other, swapped plug/cable combinations, and tried to retract. No joy in any combination.

I have not yet performed page 24 "Manual Override Mode - Auto-Program Controllers" to disengage motor and manually retract because there is rain the next day or so and I don't want to have the RV not be sealed. My weather seals that I think I have to pull off to get to the slide motor seem to be glued on.

****Update following:

Disengaged controller. Took off decorative trim, weather seals, and structural hold down. Disengaged motor. Realigned front and back.

Restored strutural hold down. Reengaged controller.

Now, front and back move, but I'm not sure they move at the same rate. I'll provide update on this later.

Front motor does sound strained.

Lippert 366701 Controller throws Motor 1 fault (1 green, 4 red).

****Update following:

Took off inner trim pieces to get to watch the motor to determine the sound.

Jogged out a couple of inches. Noise now gone...but...

Now the front motor (the one that was squealing a bit ago) seems to be faster on the extending cycle than the back motor.

****Update following:

I just attempted to use emergency jog (one motor at a time) to retract back to even. When I pressed IN, it moved OUT. I unplugged it and plugged it back in to the controller. When I pressed IN, it moved IN.

Why does it INTERMITTENTLY go the opposite direction? I suspect the controller has lost everything. Sometimes it thinks it's at the stops. Sometimes it gets the demand signals backwards

****Update following:

Tried normal mode again. Front and back seemed to extend and retract at the same rate. Front started about 2 inches early, but kept the same offset.

Disconnected back motor from controller. Back will retract, but not extend so I can't resolve the offset (without manually disconnecting motor).

Swapped to front motor from controller only. Front will extend but only retract to the point of offset, so I still can't resolve the offset (without manually disconnecting motor).

Good news is now the slide is extended far enough that I can access inner and outer trim on front and back.

New controller and motors on the way. I still suspect controller is intermittently losing its mind.
Old 12-25-2023, 09:06 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Update - things working

Did a basic disassemble-reassemble job. I think the reason the front did not fully retract was due to coupler rotated 1 flat off optimal.

Everything else seems normal except more friction noise on both front and back than I remember.

I think this may be solved.

Going for lubrication and complete the reassembly.
Old 12-27-2023, 06:59 PM   #14
Willow Rider

Just to add another angle to the topic, the slide on our 2021 24D started misaligning when a couple teeth broke on the rear rails. Our ESP paid to have the slide rails replaced and all realigned. Problem fixed. Just a thought …
WillowRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 08:10 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Oh man. I hadn’t thought of a real mechanical failure. I guess I have something to look for if it keeps up.
Old 12-28-2023, 07:56 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

My lippert has a similar problem. One of the 3 slides, the rear goes out faster, and 3 inches further than the front. When I shove the front, out by hand, and my wife presses the control, it opens nearly equally. Then I must do the opposite to close, because the rear closes slower. I need the exercise, so I have decided to live with it. I use Tri Flow spray lube, on the flat sprockets.
Rixthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 08:40 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

That’s interesting. My slides don’t respond to pushing pressure as an

Tags
slide, slide out