Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-12-2021, 05:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2018 Winnebago View Slideout Problem, Help!!

I have a 2018 View Model D motor home and the slide out isn't working. I think it's in a bind as the front of the slide will open about 5 to 6 inches and stops but the rear never moves at all. There is nothing blocking the movement of the slide. At this point I'm not 100% sure the motor at the rear of the slide is even working. I found the control box in the outside storage compartment and removed the cover. The manual says that if the unit sense a fault it will blink a group of red lights and then a group of green and these will allow you to diagnose the problem. I'm getting no blinking lights on the control box. If I unplug the main power connector on the control box and plug it back in both the red and green lights blink once and I assume this is just showing that it's received power. Right now the slide doesn't want to come in or out on either end as I believe it's in a bind. In the morning I plan on bringing the slide fully in manually with a socket and ratchet. I'm hoping that this might unbind the slide and possibly allow it to work as it should?

If this doesn't correct the issue I need to know what is going on at the rear motor on the slide. From what I can see each side of the slide has 2 horizontal geared tracks. I believe there is a long vertical shaft that has a gear the lines up with each track and I believe the motor is down at the bottom of the vertical shaft. I'm not sure how to gain access to this shaft and motor and was hoping someone might be able to help me with this. The front end of the slide has a lot more room because the drivers seat can be slid forward to gain access. I assume the cover on the shaft probably pry off as I didn't see any screws. To bad that my front motor is the one that I know is working correctly, it's the rear one that isn't. Gaining access to the rear motor doesn't even look possible from inside the coach. I'm assuming either the motor is fried, the connection from it to the vertical shaft is broken or not working, or the gears on the vertical shaft aren't rotating to engage the track. I'm further assuming that these gears maybe attached to the vertical shaft by a set screw and possibly they have come loose allowing the shaft to spin inside them, or they have slid down and no longer align with the tracks on the slide.
Obviously this is what I have gathered by looking at how I think the system was designed to work. What would be very helpful is if someone can tell me if I am on the right path or not and most of all how do I gain access to that rear motor? One thing that really bothers me is why I'm not seeing any of the lights flashing on the control box when I obviously have something that isn't working as it should? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just so you know I have tried to open the slide while plugged into shore power and also with the motor running. Parking brake is always set and the unit is level both side to side and front to back. We bought this unit brand new and have only used it on 3 short trips and obviously the factory warranty has expired. Thank you in advance for any and all help and I hope one day I can help you with a problem that you have. God Bless.
Dozers Dad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slideout, view, winnebago