Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2021, 08:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Winnie drop axle lift kit

There is an axle lift available for the lippert diamond used on our winnie drop. We are considering installing one. Anyone here that has already installed one? It lifts the axle by 3.5 inches so it might change the side to side sway a little. But because the trailer we have is very low it might be a really good thing getting on and off BC ferries and up over humps that currently cannot be negotiated with our trailer,a 2016 winnie drop. We did changed over to load range d 14 because the trailer is close to 3000 loaded and the load range c that it came stock with are only rated for a 500 lb cushion above the loaded rating of the trailer.
I do find that load range d tires make a difference and the trailer does pull smoother.
The correct lift kit is simple to install and is available from etrailer online.
reeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 01:02 PM   #2
Dud
Winnebago Camper

I installed a lift kit on our 2016 Drop.
I did the install in an afternoon, found it easy to do.
No more clearance worries.
Also added a set of mud flaps and built a wooden step.
Old 03-11-2021, 04:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dud View Post
I installed a lift kit on our 2016 Drop.
I did the install in an afternoon, found it easy to do.
No more clearance worries.
Also added a set of mud flaps and built a wooden step.
Did you need to snip and resection the brake wires? The instruction says you need to take off the tires, I would think it would be easier if the tires were left on so that the axle stays up off the ground and you can just roll them back a few inches.
Old 03-11-2021, 05:48 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I don't own a Winnie travel trailer, but have owned a lot of other brands in the past. On ALL of those trailers, moving the leaf springs from the bottom of the axel to the top increased ground clearance significantly. No extra components/parts were necessary. The same U-bolts fit, wether on the top or bottom of the axel. Most owners that towed with a 4wd or 3/4 ton tow vehicle made the conversion, just so the trailer would tow level. Here is a link to more info.
https://mechanicalelements.com/overs...ailer-springs/
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Charlie View Post
I don't own a Winnie travel trailer, but have owned a lot of other brands in the past. On ALL of those trailers, moving the leaf springs from the bottom of the axel to the top increased ground clearance significantly. No extra components/parts were necessary. The same U-bolts fit, wether on the top or bottom of the axel. Most owners that towed with a 4wd or 3/4 ton tow vehicle made the conversion, just so the trailer would tow level. Here is a link to more info.
https://mechanicalelements.com/overs...ailer-springs/
I believe the Winnie Drop trailers use torsion axles (not spring axles). Lifting requires inserting a special spacer between the axle and the original mounting points on the trailer frame.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
I believe the Winnie Drop trailers use torsion axles (not spring axles). Lifting requires inserting a special spacer between the axle and the original mounting points on the trailer frame.
Correct they are lippert made and in this case the diamond shaped ones.

We have a neighbor with a starcraft mini that has a single 3500 lb axle on springs that bent because the trailer is even closer to the maximum load and has off road tires that are heavy, if things start go south I will get a new 4600 lb axle as another winnie owner has done.

I have read that some winnie drops have had a problem on the slide out side. Ours seems fine and I will pay careful attention to not overloading the trailer on the slide side. Once I have the lift kit installed I will run it over a scale one each side of the axle to see if there is much difference in loading between the two tires with the trailer empty.

I will also photo document the process and post them.
Old 03-12-2021, 05:19 AM   #7
Dud
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeman View Post
Did you need to snip and resection the brake wires? The instruction says you need to take off the tires, I would think it would be easier if the tires were left on so that the axle stays up off the ground and you can just roll them back a few inches.
I did have to snip and reconnect the brake wires.
I left the tires on when I installed the lift kit.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:51 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Cool

Thanks, seems sensible to leave the tires on and much easier on the back than dropping the axle down on the ground!