Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2014, 07:11 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Entire back hatch fell off 2012 Itasca Meridian

Went to lift the back hatch that houses my radiator on my 2012 Itasca Meridian to check my fluid levels (ie: trans, coolant etc) and as I lifted carefully and the hatch went up on its struts the entire hatch came off the epoxy resin attachments. My front hatch/hood that houses the generator has done the same as the specialized adhesive/epoxy did not hold the latches. This would be the 76th item that has needing fixed/addressed on our new off the lot coach. Oh, and since I am telling more about the story every one of the running lights at the front peak have cracks in the body as it appears whom ever installed them tightened down the screws beyond their needs. We had one fixed in Havasu at the tune of $1200. Love this coach!!!
mackspot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Your back hatch fell off. I was on my the way to the factory at the end of April to have my roof to sidewall extrusions refastened, the driver side rear extrusion was separating from the body, I lost the entire lower rear panel somewhere between the RV park in Amana and Forest City, Winnebago calls that approximately 3ft x 8ft fiberglass panel a rear bumper. That panel is fastened only by adhesives. No warranty or policy support at all. I guess Winnebago figures any adhesive failures after the warranty expires is par for the course.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackspot1 View Post
Went to lift the back hatch that houses my radiator on my 2012 Itasca Meridian to check my fluid levels (ie: trans, coolant etc) and as I lifted carefully and the hatch went up on its struts the entire hatch came off the epoxy resin attachments. My front hatch/hood that houses the generator has done the same as the specialized adhesive/epoxy did not hold the latches. This would be the 76th item that has needing fixed/addressed on our new off the lot coach. Oh, and since I am telling more about the story every one of the running lights at the front peak have cracks in the body as it appears whom ever installed them tightened down the screws beyond their needs. We had one fixed in Havasu at the tune of $1200. Love this coach!!!
From the hinges or as in this thread?: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/rear...ff-191914.html
Old 06-15-2014, 08:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Can you post a picture of the rear hatch ... I am not sure what that is and am not sure exactly what part of my coach I need to go inspect. Sorry for your loss -- and I admit I'm trying to keep my name off this particular list. Thanks! \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 08:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Is this what we are calling the "back hatch?" Thanks! \ken
Attached Images

Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Bummer!!
Old 06-16-2014, 06:00 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

1/4" Stainless steel button head screws both front door to latch and back "bumper" and door.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 11:20 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I noticed that the louvers on the back of my 40U were slanted and after a quick check, noticed that the left side had totally broken loose from the adhesive. I finally ended up putting 2 selt tapping chrome screws on each side. Since they were visible from the the rear of coach, I carefully placed them up under the louvers. They held on my 2050 mile trip...but one of the cylinder locks feel out. Good news, ordered a new lock from mobility, with matched keying for less than $20.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:54 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I'd read about this issue earlier this spring so I took the proactive route and used 1/4" Stainless Steel rivets and riveted the rear radiator access hatch in place BEFORE it came loose. Took about 10 minutes to put 3 rivets on each side and was able to do it without even the need to open the hatch. As to the front generator access hatch I licked out and mines bolted on not glued on.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:47 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
I'd read about this issue earlier this spring so I took the proactive route and used 1/4" Stainless Steel rivets and riveted the rear radiator access hatch in place BEFORE it came loose. Took about 10 minutes to put 3 rivets on each side and was able to do it without even the need to open the hatch. As to the front generator access hatch I licked out and mines bolted on not glued on.
Wise move. I almost ended up with a hole in my radiator. I used aluminum rivets. There is enough of them that I think it will stay in place. I hope later years have addressed this common issue.
Old 11-05-2014, 02:57 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Jerichorick: Wise move. I almost ended up with a hole in my radiator. I used aluminum rivets. There is enough of them that I think it will stay in place. I hope later years have addressed this common issue.

You know, I had that exact epoxy failing problem 10 years ago. No, the later years Winnebago has not addressed this common issue.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:57 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Here is a pic of my front hatch with button head screws.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0557.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	78328  
Old 11-06-2014, 06:58 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary CA View Post
Jerichorick: Wise move. I almost ended up with a hole in my radiator. I used aluminum rivets. There is enough of them that I think it will stay in place. I hope later years have addressed this common issue.

You know, I had that exact epoxy failing problem 10 years ago. No, the later years Winnebago has not addressed this common issue.
Does anyone out here know how to publish a form letter to the Winnebago CEO about this issue? Get enough signatures in his face and he might get this problem addressed properly.

Old 11-06-2014, 07:27 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Charles Tuit, did you paint the screw heads, looks like it. Where did you get the paint?
Old 11-06-2014, 07:52 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

I had the coach painted after installing the screws. Any touch up paint I assume will work. IMHO I didn't think the Stainless screws looked that bad before paint.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:56 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Recently while driving our '99 Vectra Grand Tour we heard this banging from the front outside area of the MH. Stopped to see what happened and found that the front left portion under the door was flapping in and out. It is held on with 2 screws at the top and double face tape down the sides. This is worse than jury rigging it in an emergency. Did somebody say save a few cents?
Wetsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 03:08 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetsnail View Post
Recently while driving our '99 Vectra Grand Tour we heard this banging from the front outside area of the MH. Stopped to see what happened and found that the front left portion under the door was flapping in and out. It is held on with 2 screws at the top and double face tape down the sides. This is worse than jury rigging it in an emergency. Did somebody say save a few cents?
How dumb is that for manufacturing?

The kick panel under my door, over the steps, buckles when the sun shines on it. Once again....

Rick Y
Old 11-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

We bolted the front and rear doors on our 2004 Journey so they haven't resolved the problem. We had a 2015 Minnie Winnie on the short list but am wondering what ongoing problems may be with them.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:04 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beabop View Post
We bolted the front and rear doors on our 2004 Journey so they haven't resolved the problem. We had a 2015 Minnie Winnie on the short list but am wondering what ongoing problems may be with them.
Search your model on the forum. I'm certain you will find something.

Tags
itasca