Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-13-2023, 03:17 PM   #1
Dosis sola facit venenum

2004 Adventurer Workhorse Won't Start

Hello,

I have a 2004 Adventurer 35 Workhorse. It was in storage for about eight months. Everything worked when it went into storage. The engine battery was disconnected. I went to start waking it up to get it out. Reconnected the engine battery. The stairs extended. When I put the key in the ignition the dash lights came on and the leveler alarms started. I turned the key and nothing. I didn't even hear clicking. Just nothing. I jumped the battery. Nothing. I thought the battery might be bad but it's been tested twice and I was told the battery is fine. Then I started getting a J1850 error and the fuel gage shows empty even though I know there's a half a tank.
I have Good Sam and had a mobile tech come out. He thought it might be a solenoid but said he couldn't fix it. We were trying to arrange a tow to a shop but after six hours yesterday and three today that didn't work out. That is another story. They did manage to find a second mobile tech to come out today and he's trying really hard but hasn't been able to figure it out yet. He's coming back tomorrow. He was able to get it to crank by jumping the starter but it still won't start. He seems to think that it's not producing any spark. We've tried using the battery boost switch and still nothing.
Any ideas on where to look or what to try?
Thanks in advance.
TWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 04:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sometimes we don't get the value on hiring folks that we should. That may/may not be the case here as they may not be thinking the right solenoid???
What it sounds like is not what I call an RV problem as much as a basic truck chassis problem that gets confused when we build an RV on top?

But we can sort a few things out that are NOT involved as they are strictly coach/RV parts.
The "truck" part of your RV works just like most cars/ trucks.
You have a chassis battery with cables and wires that go to the starter and the other ignition parts that are needed to make it run.
When we turn the keyit does several things.
One big thing is the key sends a signal to a starter solenoid. That is just an electrically operated switch which pulls two contacts together when we want it to crank. Those contacts connect the cable from the battery to the big connection to the starter. And that makes it crank. But at the same time other parts have to get power to make the spark, etc. Way past my pay grade or interest as I just hope it works!

But if they are speaking of a different solenoid that connects chassi and coach batteries together, thya re way wrong. RV repair folks tend to think of this mode solenoid when it is not really involved, but they may change it anyway!
If they are speaking of the starter solenoid, yes, it has to work to pass the power to the starter.

But when you get it to crank but it doesn't seem to get spark and try to start, there is a good chance, the cables from the chassis battery to most of the engine parts is dirty/corroded, etc.
That's why it won't crank and then when you DO get it to crank it won't start as the rest is not getting power.
I would first begin at the chassis battery and search all along the route to the engine as there are often "mega-fuses" inline and those are real common to get corroded while things are stored!
We don't get the best info from Winnebago when it comes to the chassis as they do not build that and referr us to those different peopl for info. Those people tend to hold that info close and we don't get much of it.

Like a hole in the road, when you put battery power straight on the starter, it turns over. But when you put power on the batteries, it does nothing becasue there is a hole in the road!
You are really needing a truck mech that will work on RV, more than an RV tech who may not do much truck work??

hope that makes some sense and helps to point the way. Best of luck to you!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 08:35 AM   #3
Dosis sola facit venenum

Got it to a mechanic

I finally located a towing service and paid for it out of pocket. I got it to a truck mechanic shop that also works on RVs (the truck part of the RV). Fingers crossed. Thanks for the reply.
TWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventurer, vent, workhorse