Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2022, 06:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Storage Compartment Gas Strut Replacement for Vertical Hinged Doors

All 8 of my storage compartment gas struts for my vertical hinged compartment doors were all worn out on our 2009 Winnebago Journey. I started shopping on line for replacements. The existing struts were 142569-06-000 or Stabilus 2788VG. The specs on them were 8.8 inches compressed to 14.7 expanded with 12 lbs of pressure. Online I found these available for around $24 each. That would cost my $192 for eight struts. So I started a search for an equivalent strut. I found that there are a lot of struts with the same size specifications but a stronger 22.5 lbs of pressure. I was able to find a pair of those struts on Amazon for $13.99 or $7 each or only $55 for 8 struts.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093H8Z2V2...t_details&th=1

I received them and installed them today. I couldn't be happier. The extra pressure actually feels like what should of been installed from the start. Hopefully this information might help others with similar compartment doors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220331_120900.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	396.9 KB
ID:	182397  
skitime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 02:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Good info. Filed this in my "Gonna need it one of these days" file. Had a heck of a time replacing "soft" struts on our aft engine access door. (bet it has another name)

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 06:34 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I ended up trying a couple of different struts from Amazon, and I found that I needed 120# rated struts, to get good balance. I returned two different models, and the ones I ended up keeping were:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

These were about 22+ for two of them, and if I need more I will start buy buying the same. They did not come with mounting hardware, but they have not failed after 5 or 10 operations, like some of the others.

Hopefully these represent a slightly better price point and perform for others as well as they have for me.
Old 04-02-2022, 06:19 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I've found this place to be a good source:

https://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/

Another place where heavier struts are a plus is your bed.

I've never needed to change my brackets, the new struts have always fit the old ball brackets. Once you figure out the trick to removing the old struts, it's easy. There are a couple of different types, some use a spring clip while others just have a locking tab that you lever out with a small screwdriver, but they all fit the same brackets as long as the ball is the same size.
BobC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 11:38 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I ordered the ones from amazon I have a 2009 Journey and was wanting to replace the struts but must all the numbers were worn off and I keep forgetting.

I just redid my suspension with super steer valves, Koni shocks and a super steer bell crank. RV rides like its on rails

I'm sure we might have a lot of fixes to share ...
HollywoodGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 10:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Vertical door opening gas prop struts

Does anyone know what size strut I need to order for my 2012 Winnebago Journey? Thanks in advance.
R L HAMILTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 04:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by R L HAMILTON View Post
Does anyone know what size strut I need to order for my 2012 Winnebago Journey? Thanks in advance.
The old gas spring will have an ID label listing the pressure in NM =newton meters.
This will help: https://www.maxumhardware.com/catalo...x.php?cPath=50
https://www.gas-springs.biz/spd-cross-reference
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 11:06 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by R L HAMILTON View Post
A check of the parts list may be needed as there may be different doors at different locations and on different floorplans of the same year and model.

https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm
With the correct part numbers, you can then do a search for the specs of that specific part as a starter for finding new to match.

Normally the last place to find good pricing is the RV specific parts, so a wider search will often turn up the better pricing.
Folks won't pay $30 each for something on their hen house but they will for the RV, so they tend to charge what the market will bear!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, door, gas, replace, replacement, storage