Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2018, 05:10 PM   #1
VFW Post 8639 Okolona Ken

Bedroom Slide--Replacing mattress in 2004 workhorse 35U

We have a 2004 workhorse 35U Was thinking about replacing the Mattress with a Standard type cut down to fit Queen size bedroom slide on a Adventure Thanks Ronnie
tallmantwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I do not understand your question or statement.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I'm not sure what you're asking but a standard queen size mattress (60" x 80") doesn't need to be cut down to fit the 35U. Although the platform measures 58" x 78", there's plenty of room for the mattress and any overhang won't affect functionality. I have a 60" x 80" RV mattress in my 2002 35U and it fits fine.

You may find that the weight of a residential mattress may be too heavy for the gas struts supporting the lift up part of the platform. They could be replaced with heavier duty struts but you can always use a stick.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:54 PM   #4
VFW Post 8639 Okolona Ken

Trying to find out how much weight I can have on the bedroom slide. We want to replace the small 4" thick one with a queen that will be cut to fit
tallmantwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Again, cutting won't be necessary. I don't think the additional weight will be a significant issue. I just looked up the shipping weight of a couple of 12" queen memory foam mattresses on Amazon and the shipping weights were in the 60 - 70 pound range. They seem heavier because they're so awkward. Besides, only a fraction (maybe a third) of the additional weight will be on the extended portion of the slide.

Having said that, I'd suggest not going with one of the deepest (and therefore) heaviest memory foam mattresses.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Make sure you get a mattress that is ok to bend. Some should not be bent.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikf View Post
Make sure you get a mattress that is ok to bend. Some should not be bent.
This probably isn't a big issue. It's not like it's going to be in a bent position more than a couple of minutes or even on a frequent basis. All mattresses get bent from time to time while being moved, rotated, being made, etc. It's not like it's going to be bent like it would on a hospital-like bed frame.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:42 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
This probably isn't a big issue. It's not like it's going to be in a bent position more than a couple of minutes or even on a frequent basis. All mattresses get bent from time to time while being moved, rotated, being made, etc. It's not like it's going to be bent like it would on a hospital-like bed frame.
Google can I bend a mattress.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:50 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikf View Post
Google can I bend a mattress.
I did, and heres what I found: "The first mattresses made with steel coils employed what is called a "continuous" or "Bonnell" coil unit, where are the steel coils were connected with wire. This made for a heavy and springy mattress, and also makes it difficult to move. While many companies have since moved on from that design due to comfort and weight issues, some companies still use that old fashioned and outdated design, such as McRoskey Mattress in San Francisco and some models of Sealy and Serta. This type of mattress is built with a border rod, a strong, continuous wire that frames the entire mattress. Bending or folding this type of mattress in any manner would result in damage to the mattress which could leave it unusable and would void the warranty.

If you have a pocketed coil construction mattress, such as a Simmons Beautyrest mattress, depending on the construction of the mattress it may be possible to move this type of mattress. Some of these models have no border rod or a flexible border rod which would allow you to bend and manipulate the mattress. There is high density foam and memory foam in many of these types of mattresses and folding them would not damage the foam. If you do fold the mattress or bend it, it would be advisable to only to it for a short amount of time."

https://www.nestbedding.com/blogs/ne...alf-to-move-it

IMHO this means don't bend it severely to get it through a tight space but the type of gentle flexing that would occur by lifting it to get to the storage under the bed or even to gently maneuver it through a door is OK.

In my earlier comments I was thinking of flexing, not actually bending.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:20 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Get a sleep number bed. They are light and you can adjust each side for your individual preference.Had them in last three coaches.
ernied7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 04:26 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Sleep Number makes a queen size mattress just for RVs. Very light and very comfortable.
litewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:44 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I have a 33 Itasca and my mattress when the slide is in has a small bend ,never had ay problem with it still sleep well and always lays flat
htbotdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:10 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallmantwo View Post
We have a 2004 workhorse 35U Was thinking about replacing the Mattress with a Standard type cut down to fit Queen size bedroom slide on a Adventure Thanks Ronnie
Just replaced my original air mattress with a Nectar. I think it weighs less at 74#. Last night was the first we have used it. Had a good nights sleep. First in all the years, about 5, that we have had this coach. Should work in yours just fine. No cutting necessary.

Tags
slide, workhorse