Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2005, 03:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Ever couple days the battery is flat dead. Have to start by using house batteries, boost switch. MH is a 2004 with a sealed battery. Radio switch is in house position. Any help as to what could be draining the battery? I am plugged into city elect. Thanks for any help. Vet Man
Vet Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 03:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Ever couple days the battery is flat dead. Have to start by using house batteries, boost switch. MH is a 2004 with a sealed battery. Radio switch is in house position. Any help as to what could be draining the battery? I am plugged into city elect. Thanks for any help. Vet Man
Old 03-21-2005, 04:04 PM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vet Man:
Any help as to what could be draining the battery? I am plugged into city elect. Thanks for any help. Vet Man </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't know what could be pulling your battery down but I fixed my problem for the most part. I bought a Battery Minder and I have it plugged into a separate outlet on the pedestal.

I found that if I sit for a while without the BM I felt a slight hesitation before the engine fired. It was an uneasy feeling and it got me thumbing through some older posts. I found where folks were talking about the Battery Minder (or float charger) and I said to myself, iRV2 folks "know" what they're talking about. Reading these posts was enough for me to set a course for Camping World to buy the BM.

My battery stays pretty much at a full state of charge and better yet the battery is being reconditioned while I'm sitting here.

You might think about getting a BM since as you said you have power available. I won't put my neck out too far on this statement but I don't think that while the MH is plugged in much if any charge is going to the automotive battery.

Nice posting at ya Vet Man, hope to see you in PA.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 04:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Driver,

When you hook up the Battery Minder do you un-hook anything or just connect the BM to the battery's positive and negative post?
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 04:23 PM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LK23:
When you hook up the Battery Minder do you un-hook anything or just connect the BM to the battery's positive and negative post? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I have the positive clip attached to the lug up on the bulkhead with all the other <span class="ev_code_RED">+POS+</span> cables and I have the negative clip attached directly to the -NEG- terminal on the battery.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:34 PM   #6
PDB
Winnebago Camper

I had the same problem, I went to C-World and bought a Batt-Miner for around $40. It has completely eliminated my prblem with dead engine battereis.

I just connect the BM clips to the proper posts on one of the engine batts, and then plug the BM into a 110 wall outlet that is near the batteries!

As it comes from the factory, shore power does not get to engine batts. But, under my setup, shore power is charging my chassis batts, by way of a convertor, coverting shore 110vac to 12vdc for the batts, shcich are producing output to the invertor which is converting the 12vdc from the batts to 110vac to the wall receptacles. The BM is plugged into one of these wall recetacles and converts the 110vac from the wall to 12vdc for the engine batt.

Crazy, eh? But it has fixed my probs.
Paul

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd
PDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 04:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the info Driver, you always are a big help. I just needa better explaination of where you have the leeds hooked up. Also can the BM be left in place, or remove it to drive. Sorry for the questions, but am not sure of how to hook it up. Why not just put it on the battery terminals? Vet Man
Old 03-21-2005, 04:45 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Just plug in the BM and clip the positive (red) cable to a positive battery terminal and the black (neg) clip to the negative battery terminal...When you are ready to go, just unplug from the battery and store it. It is about the size of any plug in the wall D.C. adapter....RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 05:17 PM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

RKL's got the all the right stuff on that issue. I leave the small pigtail harness connected to the batteries and unplug the BM and store it just inside of the door along side of the wall. The BM plugs into the (provided) harness through a one-way plug.

The biggest problem I have with the BM is coiling up the 25ft of 12/3 extension cord when I have to break camp.

It's really easy.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:43 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I have a Battery minder. It automatic and stops charging when not needed. Eye hooks to the pos and neg battery post. Plugs into 110 outlet. Leave it there. Start up and go. No need to unplug.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:26 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Vet Man, what you are describing (engine battery charge depletion) sounds unusual to me, especially with a new coach. Do you have a multimeter or access to one? Once the engine battery is charged up, you ought to try getting some readings on dc amperage draw from the battery (with your engine off, off course). Seems like something, I'd say more than 5 amps, is drawing continuously and taking the battery down.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:44 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

There product similar to the battery Minder called the Battery Tender. It is completely water and weather proof and around the same price.

http://www.batterystuff.com/productd...of_800_charger
3huskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 02:51 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Xantrex makes Echo-Charge which also charges engine battery from house battery:
http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/103/p/1/pt/20/product.asp

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 03:53 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

If you have your power step in the on position. So that it goes in and out every time you open/close entry door. This will run down engine batt as many steps are wired to this batt.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 03:33 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the info. I charged the battery today and it seemed to take it ok. Will get a BM. Just a couple more questions, how many days between running the engine do I need to use it? How is the best way to get the plug to the receptial on the outside of the MH. Do you drop it down beside the batteries then crawl under to get the plug, or run it through the doorway? troth, I will check into the battery drain. Thanks to all. Vet Man
Old 03-22-2005, 04:23 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I experienced the same problem with battery would not stay up and found that I had kicked the rocker switch in door way on for the compartment lights. That was running down the battery. I keep my Adventurer plugged in with the battery isolation switch off, then I just turn it on and plug in battery charger into outlet by door with step cover off so charger leads can be hooked up, therefore, not blocking door. It will get weak over couple of months, then I just recharge. It still has some load when just sitting, engine computers, etc. Happy RVing!!!!

07 F350 Dually Ford Diesel
R Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 04:41 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

We have the battery drawdown problem common on 04-05 Journey/Meridians.Winnebago blames Freightliner and vice versa. We had our draw tested today and are taking the results to Freightliner on 3-31. Our battery goes down in 6 days. The awnings and slides are on the chassis battery plus all the Freightliner memory items.We wish there were a way to really test these sealed batteries.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:42 PM   #18
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vet Man:
Do you drop it down beside the batteries then crawl under to get the plug, or run it through the doorway? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>VetMan, Exactly - no need to crawl BTW use the awning rod and pull the end of the cord up from the ground into the battery compartment. Be careful with the rod, don't touch anything like a battery post.

They don't call it a miracle tool for nuthin'
Old 03-22-2005, 05:58 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Well thanks for all this info. MH has been sitting here in Fla for 3 months while we stayed warm. Maybe my occasional start ups was not enough. Now my only question is how long of a stay would I need to use the BM? Vet Man
Old 03-22-2005, 07:54 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Have the same problem with 2004 Meridian. Read on another post the other day, use a heavy gauge wire with alligator clip on each end and connect a positive post on the engine battery to a positive post on the coach battery. This is supposed to keep the engine batteries up with the converter/inverter charger while plugged into shore power. It said to be sure the wire is disconnected before starting the engine or it will fry the wire. Not sure it will actually work but may try it when I get some heavy clips and wire.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote