Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-22-2023, 06:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

1997 Adventurer (chevy) Engine clicks won't start

I have a 1997 winnebago adventurer chevrolet 454 big block 7.4 p30
Went to start engine and it cranked up for about 15 seconds and died. Now when you try to crank it, it clicks and a spark comes from below the spark plugs on the right side of the engine. You can see it from inside the house. Any ideas?
Trthomp2p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 06:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Not a Chevy guy but if the starter is on that side, I might guess the battery cable is loose and the click you hear is the starter solenoid clicking and trying to make contact but not getting enough to do the full job of cranking!

But there are a number of different wires that may make a spark in that area.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 07:02 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Electric clicking

Good point Monica. Totally agree. Make sure battery is good then go to starter and connections. When you are sure battery is good checking connections is important. Don’t wear any jewelry. You may want to disconnect battery for safety. Travato John
TravatoJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 06:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Not a Chevy guy but if the starter is on that side, I might guess the battery cable is loose and the click you hear is the starter solenoid clicking and trying to make contact but not getting enough to do the full job of cranking!

But there are a number of different wires that may make a spark in that area.
I agree, loose cable.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 10:51 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have a video of the spark. Can I load it here to show you. This weekend I am going to look at the battery, starter and wires.
Trthomp2p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 11:37 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I don't think the video would help much as the sparks can only come from a couple different things and they are loose or broken wires!
This is a common starter but may look a little different than what you have on a different engine.
Click image for larger version

Name:	starter side copy.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	186753
One end of the starter will be bolted to the engine as the black area and you don't see that part. But there will be one big battery cable, maybe red or black and it connects to the starter solenoid.
when looking at the back end of the starter, you will see the cable and two places where wires connect.

Click image for larger version

Name:	starter back copy.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	186754

The solenoid is a set of contacts that act like a switch. When you turn the key those contacts connect together inside the solenoid and should pass the power on to the starter to make it turn.

When you hear the click, it is likely to be the solenoid switch moving but the spark is coming from one of the wires being loose and the power is trying to jump across that gap! So you see a flash but not enough power gets where it should to make the starter turn.

And it may change every time you hit a bump or try it on different days until it gets loose enough to fall off! The solution is to tighten the nuts on the loose wire or find what is loose!

Warning!
Make sure the end of the wrench doesn't touch any metal while you are on the nuts to tighten them!
Big flash and not GOOD! Burns hands/ ruins wrenches!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 05:54 PM   #7
1996 Itasca 29Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I don't think the video would help much as the sparks can only come from a couple different things and they are loose or broken wires!
This is a common starter but may look a little different than what you have on a different engine.
Attachment 186753
One end of the starter will be bolted to the engine as the black area and you don't see that part. But there will be one big battery cable, maybe red or black and it connects to the starter solenoid.
when looking at the back end of the starter, you will see the cable and two places where wires connect.

Attachment 186754

The solenoid is a set of contacts that act like a switch. When you turn the key those contacts connect together inside the solenoid and should pass the power on to the starter to make it turn.

When you hear the click, it is likely to be the solenoid switch moving but the spark is coming from one of the wires being loose and the power is trying to jump across that gap! So you see a flash but not enough power gets where it should to make the starter turn.

And it may change every time you hit a bump or try it on different days until it gets loose enough to fall off! The solution is to tighten the nuts on the loose wire or find what is loose!

Warning!
Make sure the end of the wrench doesn't touch any metal while you are on the nuts to tighten them!
Big flash and not GOOD! Burns hands/ ruins wrenches!
My advice is that when you want to tighten a loose connection on the chassis you disconnect the chassis battery! It is the best practice! The same goes for the coach wiring and batteries.
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 06:00 PM   #8
Former Winnebago Class A

One of three things:
1.Low battery
2. Loose positive cable to starter
3. Bad solenoid
Old 07-30-2023, 06:23 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Check the Battery Voltage first!

Tags
vent, engine, adventurer