Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-28-2020, 06:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Toad Supplemental Braking Systems

Just bought a 2014 Nissan Versa S 5-speed that's being modified to flat tow behind our 2010 Aspect 28B. I also ordered the Blue Ox Patriot Braking System for safety reasons, although I'm not sure it was really necessary. The car weighs in around 2,850 and I'll probably up that by a few hundred pounds with supplies and all. From what I've read, only a few states require all Toad vehicles to have supplemental braking systems. Other states require them for vehicles over 4000 or 5000 lbs respectively. Anyway, I bought it.

I understand the concept of the braking system with the actuator pushing the brake pedal to slow or stop the car, but what I don't understand is how the remote panel inside the RV knows when I'm stopping to tell the actuator to apply the brakes (via blue tooth)? The remote panel only plugs into the cigarette lighter for power. There's nothing connected to the brake pedal, brake lights, etc. to know the RV is slowing down. Is there some type of accelerometer making these decisions?

Second, how do you know these systems are set up and adjusted properly? I'd hate to think the toad's brakes could be worn down trying to fight against an RV that's trying to accelerate. Any input would be appreciated...
JDHarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hello!, Some actuate by inertia, the controller sets the braking intensity.

Some are wired into brake lights, controller still sets intensity.

The intertia ones can indeed hang up going down a steep hill or be off going up hill.

It’s the unit inside the car that does all the “thinking” and most states DO require a break away switch on anything you’re towing of that weight. you may have to hook that up as well, most brake controllers already support that feature.

Brake adjusting it is by trial and error.
MicroMinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 10:29 PM   #3
Site Team

You need it.

It’s required.

It’s easy to adjust and use.

You will know when it is activated. Simple as that.

It only brakes when you brake hard. It is activated by hard braking inertia only. Not every time you touch the brakes. Going down hill or even slowing down your RV will not activate it. The remote in the RV just lights to confirm it is activating the brakes on the toad. But when it applies the brakes on the toad you will feel it in the RV.
Old 09-11-2020, 01:46 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
You need it.

It’s required.

It’s easy to adjust and use.

You will know when it is activated. Simple as that.

It only brakes when you brake hard. It is activated by hard braking inertia only. Not every time you touch the brakes. Going down hill or even slowing down your RV will not activate it. The remote in the RV just lights to confirm it is activating the brakes on the toad. But when it applies the brakes on the toad you will feel it in the RV.
Im new to the Patriot brake system , i just got it and havent installed it yet.
I have a VERY steep gravel driveway , down then up. On the down sides im literally standing on the brake and going very slow... i was worried the brake would engage on the way down.
Im hoping you are right and it doesnt engage.
UrbanTarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 02:17 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I have the RVI brake which sounds quite the same as it sets in the toad floor and pushes the brake and communicates with a tablet in the RV to show when it is breaking. I have not had to panic brake the RV and have not seen it brake at any time except as part of checking before moving we hit the brake on the tablet while the wife watches the brakes in the toad work.
Very happy with it and the way it works on our Focus and we do also have to have it in the states we travel often, as well as a simple breakaway switch to stop the car if the whole thing comes off the RV.
One item is that we are required to have both to be legal but also, if I do have to panic stop, I certainly do not want the car held only on the tow bar strength to try to come up under the rear where it tends to lift the tires!
Unless it is hard enough to make standing in the RV difficult, I would not expect the toad brakes to come on. They might be named "crisis brakes" better?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 04:58 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I've been using the Demco Delta Force proportional braking system for almost 4 years. I am on system #3. It keeps failing and they repair or replace it under the 5 year warranty. When it works, it is very good. It does apply the brakes directly in proportion to what you are doing in the motorhome. So even a light tap will trigger a very light braking in the toad. I have found that a good way to go (when it works). When it fails, it actuates on it's own - a terrifying experience when it happens on the highway. Sometimes it fails during the setup. Sometimes it fails while on the road. Time for a new system...looking at Invisibrake (Roadmaster) and Patriot (Blue Ox). Demco has a "stay and play" that goes under the hood but after my experience with their portable system, I shy away from them for obvious reasons.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:39 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have decided to give Demco's "Stay n Play" a try. Demco's customer service is excellent and the system gets good reviews on various sites.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, toad