Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-12-2021, 03:33 PM   #41
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmike View Post
Thanks! The one issue I have is when emergency braking (there is always someone who will look you dead in the eye and then pull right in front of you as slowly as possible) it is locking up the toad tires. This doesn't happen on normal braking). I think this has to do with the lightness of the car and the fact that the car is off so ABS is not engaging.
It's possible that your braking system's actuator cable is a little too tight, you might want to try a little more slack. It's a trial and error process and the Subaru may require more slack than the installation manual specifies.

Here's a related thread on IRV2.com:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/can-...es-377054.html

One other thing, before you tow, always make sure the toad's parking brake is "off". Better yet, have your copilot make sure all four wheels are turning as you start to move. I shredded a tire during my first test tow. Fortunately I was close to home, and my spare was in good shape. Thanks to my fellow motorists who saw the smoke and honked at me, it didn't do any other damage. I never felt a thing.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 07:58 AM   #42
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
After turning off your car, before towing, be sure to drain the vacuum power breaking assist by pumping the brake pedal 3 or 4 times.

On the Brake Buddy and other similar systems you run through 5-tests to relieve any residual braking vacuum assist.

If you don't lift the Subaru then get a 4" drop receiver hitch adapter.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...er/RM-070.html

I don't quite understand the vacuum power assist you are referring to. You are saying to pump the brakes after turning the car off?

I do have an adjustable hitch drop sitting in the garage. Before heading home, I installed the turnbuckle that came with it so it is easy to adjust on the fly. Of course, once I got home the seven pin to four pin cable that I had ordered was sitting on the stoop. I I can Ziptie the wiring under the bumper and use the coiled cable which makes a cleaner disconnect.
Maddmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 09:17 AM   #43
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmike View Post
I don't quite understand the vacuum power assist you are referring to. You are saying to pump the brakes after turning the car off?
Your ReadyBrute is purely mechanical, you don't have a vacuum assist like some systems.

Did you try adjusting the slack in your cable?
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 10:26 AM   #44
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Your ReadyBrute is purely mechanical, you don't have a vacuum assist like some systems.

Did you try adjusting the slack in your cable?

Yes, I installed the turnbuckle that came with it for the way home and was able to further fine-tune the tension for the drive home. I think I got it right.
Maddmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad