Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2021, 04:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

What cars can be towed on the ground.

I know there are only a few vehicles that can be towed behind an RV because of their specific drivetrains. I read somewhere that several companies have made a device that will allow any vehicle to be towed. I think it is a disconnect that you install that disconnect the driveshaft. Does anybody know what companies sell these devices? TIA
Junkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 05:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

1. Here's a link to Motorhome's downloadable Dinghy Guides that list which vehicles are towable 4 down by model year:

https://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/

Note that each year's edition is standalone and only lists that model year's vehicles. Things change year-by-year so don't assume that if a vehicle is towable 4-down in one year, it is in another. A classic example of this is the Honda CRV which was a perennial favorite until the 2014 model year when it became untowable. I've looked but have yet to find a resource that's cumulative for all model years. In some cases things can get very specific. For example Vehicle A for a particular model year may be towable if it has transmission X but not if it has transmission Y, etc. and, with some vehicles you might have to decode the VIN to confirm the transmission.

Even if the Dinghy Guide says a vehicle is OK to tow 4-down, double-check with the manufacturer before buying.

2. Remco used to manufacture "towing kits" transmission pumps and other devices that would allow 4-down towing but they stopped doing so in Oct 2020.

Towing – Remco

I do see some listings for the Remco Driveshaft Disconnect by some other vendors but they could be outdated. They're not inexpensive:

https://www.google.com/search?q=remc...4dUDCA8&uact=5
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 06:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Since this is an area where what we each want is so wide, I go about the search in a bit different way and start at what I want in the way of a toad and that cuts the number to research way down.
For instance some want a really small car due to the RV they have and where/how they want to tow , while others are willing to go much larger due to the same factors and may want to tow a Ford truck, sometimes because they already have a specific vehicle in mind.

I often start with the basic idea of what I want to use the tow as everyday driver. Since cars actually degrade much faster when not driven, I start with the idea that I will normally be driving it several days a week and that is a big point with what I look for in the tow car. No interest in having a second car to tow if I don't want to drive it or can't store it!

Then I go into looking at what each car's manual says about towing it four down. Never trust the word of mouth to be correct as it is an ever changing area.
Often "recreational towing" is the term in the manuals.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 04:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I've helped someone with this superior driveline disconnect. It would not engage. After working with it for a while we got it working enough to move but it was not going to be reliable. I would absolutely not put it on any vehicle I towed. It isn't robust enough for the environment. When towing you will be away from all of your normal support system and possibly in remote areas. The last thing you need to do is introduce an unreliable linkage.

I should also note that I am aware of vehicles that are not specified as flat towable but are in fact flat towed successfully. One that I researched are Toyota Landcruisers. I tow an Fj60 and I have read posting by others that tow more modern versions successfully.

Obviously you need to do your own research but there are more options than you would think by just looking at the lists of modern vehicles who's manufactures specify flat towing as an option.
cruizerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 05:55 AM   #5
2003 Journey 32T

Just get you a Jeep Wrangler and be done with it.
alamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 06:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Cars that can be towed on the ground

Just go to any company that sells towing equipment. They have lists for all that they make equipment for.
madred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 07:17 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamon View Post
Just get you a Jeep Wrangler and be done with it.
Agree, Jeep Wrangler way to go. Just put transfer case in neutral and done.
megawatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 07:44 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

several comments here re the venerable Jeep Wrangler. If you want a 4WD that actually is comfortable to drive, consider the RAM truck with the Hemi engine, with crew cab. it makes a great toad and does well on 4WD roads. Has the same electronic shifting procedure into tow mode for the transfer case as does the Jeep.
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 08:26 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Okay, my turn; I've been towing for a few years now, both four down and with a dolly. We have (and still have) a 2001 Jeep grand Cherokee, shift the transfer case to neutral and be on your way. A 2001 Chevy S10 pickup with the driveshaft disconnect and a Harley in the back, and now a 2014 Chevy Equinox (just follow the towing instructions) And have upgraded to Blue Ox tow bar, but still using the same old reliable Brake Buddy we've been using for 20 years. Motor Home Magazine Dinghy list. Good Luck
jmo01830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 02:34 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

The Jeep Wrangler was our choice. There are other models which can be towed very easy like a Chevy Suburban or a Ford F-150 but they are too big and too heavy (thinking about the mileage....). Cars where you have to remove fuses etc. (e.g. Ford Edge or a Buick Envision) are not very convenient.
Cars with a manual gearbox can always be towed without any problems, but it's not easy to find them... a Fiat 500 perhaps.
The Jeep is very praktical, 4x4 drive & transfercase for adventures, not too big, not too small.

But.. we sold our Jeep and bought two electric bicycles.

Certainly the Jeep was great for adventure trips in the badlands of Utah etc. but we found out that if we're doing such roads with an ebike it's even more fun. And no towing and a better flexibility.

Ok, we are not fulltimers and have our cars at home and honestly said we both need the cars. But we take every year 6-8 weeks for camping and exploring and ebikes are a great alternative to the towed car.
As well as visiting Nationalparks like Yosemite or Yellowstone with ebikes is great. You reach every point without transpiration and you have no problems with parkings or vehicle size limits (and you do some sports too). We are in the mid-50ties, mostly working in the office, we like hiking but we are not "semiprofessional runners".

For shopping or for an overnight camp we have a foldable "dog"-trailer (originaly made vor dogs; carries 100lbs easy), which we can store in the rv.

There is a big choice of cool ebikes on the market which you can store on a bike carrier in the rear or even foldable ones like the Tern Vektron etc.. But ebikes are heavy (up to 50lbs, even the foldable ones) and so we still miss a good hitch mounted "bike carrier with a lift".

We have done now several trips with our ebikes (Cottonwood Canyon, Cathedral Valley, Yellowstone, Yosemite, etc.) instead of the towed Jeep and we are very happy with our decision. I will write a thread about it.
The mileage rised also... never saw a 10 but 9+ is possible. Instead of 7.
cj_calva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:50 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Wranglers in good condition tend to be pricey. If you are budget minded, get a manual Subaru. Same idea, put it in neutral, ensure the handbrake is down, and go.
Maddmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow