Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-29-2022, 12:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Flat tow F150 4X4

We have a 2008 Adventurer w/8.1L Workhorse. We've been flat towing a 2012 Jeep Wrangler with no problem.

I'm purchasing a 2019 F-150 Super Crew 4X4 and am wondering if I can get away with flat towing that safely. Based on what information I could dig up, the curb weight on the F-150 is between 4,500-5,000 lbs. I believe that the hitch on the Adventurer is rated @ 5,000 lbs. So, I would probably be pushing the limit.

It would really work out well for us if we could take the truck instead of the Jeep.

Any opinions and/or experiences?

Thanks.
empty_nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 06:22 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

You will get many opinions, and like anuses they will generally be stinky. Your towing capacity is rated a 5000lb. You did not say what tow bar you have, hopefully at least a 7500lb rated. You indicate you think your F150 is 4500 - 5000lbs (note the 500lbs is a hell of a variance) There will be some on some forums that say "the 5000lb towing capacity is just an estimate and that the mfgrs build in a "cushion" because consumers are ignorant." You could roll the dice and try to outsmart he reaper, or take the Jeep. Don't forget to add the tow bar weight in your calculation.
GrumpyVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 07:38 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyVet View Post
You will get many opinions, and like anuses they will generally be stinky. Your towing capacity is rated a 5000lb. You did not say what tow bar you have, hopefully at least a 7500lb rated. You indicate you think your F150 is 4500 - 5000lbs (note the 500lbs is a hell of a variance) There will be some on some forums that say "the 5000lb towing capacity is just an estimate and that the mfgrs build in a "cushion" because consumers are ignorant." You could roll the dice and try to outsmart he reaper, or take the Jeep. Don't forget to add the tow bar weight in your calculation.
Thank you for replying.

I am going to err on the side of caution. I was going to replace all the towing equipment, including the tow bar. Just not sure about the hitch. I am going to put the truck on a set of scales to get an accurate weight. The variance was from a brochure, all depending on the equipment of a particular vehicle. I have a feeling that we will end up continuing to tow the Jeep but it's worth checking into.
empty_nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 08:06 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by empty_nest View Post
Thank you for replying.

I am going to err on the side of caution. I was going to replace all the towing equipment, including the tow bar. Just not sure about the hitch. I am going to put the truck on a set of scales to get an accurate weight. The variance was from a brochure, all depending on the equipment of a particular vehicle. I have a feeling that we will end up continuing to tow the Jeep but it's worth checking into.
Good call on weighing the truck - at least that way you will know. With no insult intended, don't forget to calculate your Gross Vehicle Weight Rating to see if your RV can even tow the truck. I "think" you have the Vortex V8, depending on how much total weight you have in the RV (your Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) pulling a F150 "may" put a great strain on your engine. So replacing all your towing equipment "may" not solve all the potential issues. Here is a good article on towing capacity. Best Wishes.

https://www.lichtsinn.com/blog/how-m...motorhome-tow/
GrumpyVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 04:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

You will need a charging cable since the Ford will drop out of neutral if the battery is discharged. If you do a search you will find instances where the owners lost the transmission due to battery discharging.
johnnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 06:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by empty_nest View Post
Thank you for replying.

I tow a 2013 Silverado 1500 4x4, it weighs 5,600# with the fiberglass camper shell. The downside to this Is, when we head South for the winter I probably put another 1,000# in the truck-bed.
In your instance that is not an option, you must decide you cannot haul anything in your Ford truck-bed..
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow