Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-14-2023, 01:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Propane tanks on Micro Minnie 2108FBS

recently we purchased a 2022 Minnie 2108 FSB. It came standard with 20lb propane tanks. We have a couple of 30 pound tanks. We are wondering if we could replace the 20 lb tanks without affecting the ride, tow or whatever?
frankbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 03:19 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi and welcome!

I don’t know the answer to your question. But I want to alert you to an important distinction when posting here, or buying parts, etc. You have a Micro Minnie 2108 FBS not A “Minnie”. I know it seems picky, but here’s the problem. Winnebago sells Micro Minnie’s, Minnies, And Minnie Winnie’s. These are all very different and distinct RVs.

If you look for parts for a Minnie there’s a good chance you’ll get the wrong parts or the wrong advice on the forum.

I added the correct product name to your thread title so folks will know what TT you are asking about, but I wanted to let you know about this distinction. Hope this helps.

Someone should come along soon to answer your question. I know every TT I owned in the past came with two 30 lb tanks but that’s not a good answer. So best to hear from others.
Old 01-14-2023, 06:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

30 lb Propane Tanks

You are very unlikely to notice the extra weight of the larger tanks. If your tow vehicle squat while towing is not on the high side now you should be fine. Weight forward of the axles is needed for towing stability. When towing you need to be careful not to add too much weight behind the axles. Your weight addition on the tongue is minimal to the approximate 425lb tongue weight that you already have.
Scott
Thindirtline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 10:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

A Micro Minnie 2108 has a GVWR of 5,000-6,000 lbs depending on year of manufacture. [Axle Rating]. Look at your sticker on the driver side forward of the trailer to be sure. Micro Minnie’s tow best with 12% or more of the GVWR or the tongue. That means 600-650 lbs wet tongue weight. Changing to 30 lb propane tanks only adds 20 lbs to the tongue, and therefor will not have any noticeable affect on towability. We have found that removing weight from the tow vehicle and adding weight to the pass thru gives us a better tow. We try to tow with 600# on the tongue. 2/3 of a tank of fresh water and heavy stuff in the pass thru. Lighten the rear axle of the tow vehicle as much as possible. If you switch to LiFePo4 and mount the battery in the pass thru, you’ll need to add some weight to the A-frame like a tool box, to compensate for the weight shift. That being said, you can accomplish the same thing by carrying an extra 20# propane tank in the tow vehicle. The 3 tank arrangement gives more flexibility. You can use the third tank for grill/griddle, propane firepit, or to power a propane generator without tapping into the house supply. Also, you never have to worry about propane tank levels. When one runs dry, switch to another. When the second tank runs dry, switch to the third and go fill up the other two.

Tags
propane, tank