Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2023, 02:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Trip Planning Apps?

Hey all
Now that we have the new-to-us 2018 Vista resting up in our driveway, we're working on planning out some trips this spring-summer-fall. I've played around with various apps including Good Sam, RVLife, and Campendium. But I've found none that work the way my brain does :-) What I want to do is say (a) I'm starting here, (b) I don't want to drive more than 300 miles per day and (c) I need to end up here at the end. Now show me the campground options that meet my sorting criteria for length, hookups, camp type, etc. RVLife seems to come closest but is still a little unwieldy to use (could just be me). What I'm discovering is that I need to use a combination of the 3 above along with Google Maps to get an idea of where to go and how to get there. Has anyone discovered a better all-in-one app? Or maybe have tips on how best to maximize the apps available?

'preciate the wisdom!
Beth
Bmblsad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 03:54 PM   #2
Site Team

You have to use many apps to do what you want. You'd never be happy with just one app trying to figure "you" and your wants and needs out.

The apps I use the most are RV Life's Campground Reviews and Google Maps. On the road we use Gas Buddy.
Old 02-08-2023, 05:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I haven't used this in a long time, but you can play with it and determine if it is useful: https://trips.furkot.com/
I seem to recall it is primarily for staying in hotels, but finding RV parks is an option.

This website is good for determining distance between 2 points: https://distancesonline.com/
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 03:06 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

This is the first year I have moved over to RV Life trip Wizard. In the past I used to use a very old 08 trip planning cd from Good Sam. Mostly I work between Google Maps, RV parks and reviews, and the RV Life Trip Wizard. I believe the RVTW has some fine tuning to do, but there are some factors you can put in to help with what you are looking for.

Planning to me is part of the fun, do not over think it. Finding a RV park in your 300 mile drive may not work. You may have to drive a shorter or longer distance to find a park that works for you.

Good Luck and just enjoy rving.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 02:05 PM   #5
Site Team

I should add for route planning and to program my RV's built in GPS I use Rand McNally TripMaker website.

This is basically the old Good Sam Trip Planner website. It's not an app and only available in a web browser.

But if you have an Xite Infotainment System in your motorhome, the RAND TripMaker website will export your trip directly into your Xite Rand McNally GPS feature of the Infotainment system.

If you used to use the Good Sam Trip Planner website (it was powered by Rand McNally) before they discontinued it, this TripMaker website works exactly the same.

I do all my planning first and then just enter the campgrounds into TripMaker and create an itinerary - then I export that to an SD card and import that into the Xite GPS.

Here's a link.
Rand McNally - TripMaker

And here's what a trip looks like:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-02-09 at 3.10.06 PM.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	273.1 KB
ID:	185152  
Old 02-10-2023, 06:06 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Lots of great suggestions here. I also stumbled across another one yesterday - RV Parky - that is similar to RVLife and seems to work okay. I'm starting to get the hang of this - but boy oh boy do I have a lot of browser windows open by then time I'm done!
Bmblsad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 07:27 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I have used RVParky for the past 10 years and love it. I can make adjustments to mileage between stops by adding a stop and then checking. If it’s too far, I change that stop for a different one. I can see boondocking spots, gas stops, campgrounds, State and national parks, etc. RVParky is my go to app for it all. We’re in NY and we travel 4-6 months every year across the US and Canada.
Ssherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 10:39 AM   #8
2018 22M

Another vote for RVParky

[QUOTE from Ssherry "I have used RVParky for the past 10 years and love it."

Like Ssherry, I LOVE RV Parky! Have used it for 5 years. Once you understand its capabilities for Trip Planning it is wonderful. Of course I'm one who, if just driving from Point A to Point B and THEN stopping, stay at Walmarts and such so it's nice to see the feedback on them and, although it's not always accurate, see if they say a particular place allows overnight stays. Yet I've used it for campgrounds as well. It's easy to start with origin and destination and then use the app to find/add all the appropriate gas stops and eating places along the way - - ONCE YOU GET THE HANG OF USING IT. And once a trip is made, and I'm going to return 'there' later, it's great to just duplicate the old trip and make changes only where necessary. Of course I'm sure much of this is available on apps I have not tried. I'm just putting in my vote. Good luck!
dnta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 01:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I do it a little differently. using Allstays Camp and RV App (is going to subscription service). I roughly figure what city or area I want to stop at. Then I open AllStays, and bring up the highway or area where I want to be. I read the reviews, and choose an RV park. Then I click on the park icon, and it gives one option: "send to Apple map", Send to Google map", "send to Waze" I click on my location or a projected location and it gives the route, plus time and distance.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote