Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Pictures from a body shop...

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. This Winnebago motorhome is for what appears to be pretty obvious repairs to a leaking windshield frame, a problem that Winnebago denies or says is insignificant. Except to maybe the owners with this issue, that is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9339.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	27594   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN9340.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	27595  

Name:	DSCN9347.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	27596   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0002.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	27597  

Name:	PICT0006.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	305.9 KB
ID:	27598  
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Heard about this problem from many winnie owners. First time I've ever actually seen it. Not good.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I think there are many a lot worse than that one.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Ah, you had the same pleasant surprise I had for my '04 Vectra when I had a windshield replaced early this Spring... had to essentially rebuild the whole frame for both windshields.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_1016.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	27599   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1018.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	27600  

Name:	DSC_1025.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	27601  
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. This Winnebago motorhome is for what appears to be pretty obvious repairs to a leaking windshield frame, a problem that Winnebago denies or says is insignificant. Except to maybe the owners with this issue, that is.
A little duct tape and silicone and it'll be just fine!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Sure wish folks would quote the cost of things when talking about repairs replacement, and such. Sure would help the rest of us know we are getting a fair price,

SO what did is cost to repair your frame???
doit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:53 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

It always gets difficult to compare $$ on these things as each case is different as far as the amount of labor, materials etc to repair, which is why I was reluctant to share.

In my case, both windshields had to be removed (one was the broken one (rock impact) the other was fine but I wanted the rust on both sides fixed. There was a multi-month delay in getting a new 'official' windshield frame from Winnie at that time, so I elected to have the shop grind away the rusted portions, fabricate a new steel overlay, and weld all essentially make a new frame surface. Then of course replacing the windshields along with all the appropriate sealing and rustproofing so hopefully it won't happen again. Took about a week, biggest cost was the labor. Glass excluded, the frame repair was in the $2k range.

Shop said it wasn't their first rodeo when it came to doing this for a Winnebago...
Old 10-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

$1K per side is about right. I had my passenger side glass break due to rust and rust abatement and new glass was right at $1,000.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Gang,
$2,000.00 is all you're saying it cost to repair the W/S frames and, replace the glass in both sides? Wow, that's incredibly cheap. I just had crack repaired in the passenger side and an estimate for that side of the windshield alone was close to $1,000.00. So all that work, and new glass, sure seems incredibly cheap to me. If you got it for that, that's great. I'd sure like to see the work prior to install of the glass.
Scott

P.S. On edit: Sorry, I just re-read the posts and saw that the glass was excluded from that cost. My bad.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by doit2010 View Post
Sure wish folks would quote the cost of things when talking about repairs replacement, and such. Sure would help the rest of us know we are getting a fair price,

SO what did is cost to repair your frame???
My father-in-law and I both used the same body shop and glass shop. Both windshields were replaced on both motorhomes. Approximately $1,000 in rust repairs to the body shop / approximately $2,400 for the windshield replacements. His repair was slightly more due to more windshield frame replacement than mine, but not by much, so figure $3,500+ with 'taxes and shop supplies' charges.

$7k between just these two motorhomes. Yeah, good job Winnebago! I can't believe more people here aren't outraged here, but they sure don't seem to be, or at least based on the couple of other threads here.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
$7k between just these two motorhomes. Yeah, good job Winnebago! I can't believe more people here aren't outraged here, but they sure don't seem to be, or at least based on the couple of other threads here.
To be fair, this has been discussed quite a bit. Quick search shows 40 threads in this Winnie Forum with keyword "rust" in subject. One thread is 16 pages and 220+ postings. Some about windshield, some about bays, some others.

Agreed on the issue... I've spent a fair number of hours working on the metal around my bays doing the POR15 treatment and have already discussed my windshield fix. But at some point I shrugged and figured that I'd rather fix the problem and enjoy the RV.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:43 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Horrible.

Does insurance cover any of this?

Just horrible....

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

They could have used alum. and saved money and weight and not had any of these problems. Like the Stainless steel pump I bought. All parts S.S. except the steel shaft! What are these engineers thinking?
Old 10-14-2012, 09:05 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

go6car, no, not usually covered by either insurance nor extended maintenance plans. Considered 'wear-and-tear' or sometimes 'owner negligence on maintenance' though how you'd check this without removing windshields is a question. At least it was so in my case...
Old 10-14-2012, 09:53 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
Considered 'wear-and-tear' or sometimes 'owner negligence on maintenance' though how you'd check this without removing windshields is a question.
'owner negligence on maintenance' is certainly one of the explanations I got from a Winnebago customer service rep.

In all fairness to Winnebago, on a non-existent page in my Owner's Manual it does state that the 'motorhome should never be driven or stored in inclement weather... and that if driven or stored in inclement weather or washing the motorhome is necessary, the reveal windshield molding must be removed immediately and all moisture thoroughly dried with a heat or hair-drying device. If the moisture is more extensive around the windshield frame, it's recommend to have a professional glass company remove the windshields and completely dry all surface areas. Failure to do so will absolutely lead to extensive rust and windshield frame failure.

The manual also points out that if this not feasible or practical over the estimated life and use of the motorhome, the purchase of any other brand of motorhome may be more practical and highly recommended.

I've owned many vehicles in my lifetime and other RV's and have never had this rusted windshield frame issue, but then anytime it was raining, or even might rain, I always walked to work and only camped in a tent, so my rusted Itasca is entirely self-inflected.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Bet you pulled off your "Dry-clean only" tag... maybe our windshield caulk shrunk?
Old 10-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Gang,
$2,000.00 is all you're saying it cost to repair the W/S frames and, replace the glass in both sides? Wow, that's incredibly cheap. I just had crack repaired in the passenger side and an estimate for that side of the windshield alone was close to $1,000.00. So all that work, and new glass, sure seems incredibly cheap to me. If you got it for that, that's great. I'd sure like to see the work prior to install of the glass.
Scott

P.S. On edit: Sorry, I just re-read the posts and saw that the glass was excluded from that cost. My bad.
Scott
Scott, when I had my PS windshield done, it was $800 to Guardian for the glass and labor. Rust abatement done by the body shop included cleaning off the rust and using SEM Rust Seal (similar to POR). No cutting or welding was necessary. They also re-glued my genset access door and total to body shop was $200.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

for my own info. when these shops are dealing with the rust are they replacing it with stainless steel or using hot rolled metal and a rust inhibitor ??? when i was young one of the tricks the old mechanics showed me was always paint you metal hot. testing --take scrap peice of metal. take a torch heat up your metal real hot. spray some paint it will burn off. but at a point you will reach, when it does not burn off, it sucks the paint in. that paint is also harder to chip off.
wonderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #19
C20
Winnebago Watcher

Another one

My 08 looked as bad as that one. Repaired at the dealer in Kansas City for 1k.
C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:25 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Just curious, don't have a horse in the race, but does anyone know if Winne has changed the design to eliminate this problem?
RonK is offline   Reply With Quote