Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-26-2018, 10:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Post-Vacation Maintenance?

Hi Everyone! We just got back from our first extended trip that took us about 4k miles over 2 weeks. We're going through and cleaning everything out but I thought I'd ask the group if we should consider taking the RV in for servicing.

What do you do after a long trip? Should we get an oil change? Rotate tires? Or is it fine for another road trip?
Old 06-30-2018, 09:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

We generally follow the mfg's recommendations for maintenance points.

Having said that, we change out our oil -- engine and generator -- every January just before we head out for the Geriatrics Woodstock at Quartzite. That is usually ahead of the mfg's recommendations, but we just feel better.

We also keep a weather eye on wear patterns on our tires. Let that guide us to modify the mfg recommendations.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I find if I go around my coach after a several week 4,000 mile trip I will find some fasteners here and there that have loosened that I can re-tighten. Often it's the self tapping sheet metal screws in compartments.

I try to use a wisk broom to get bugs embedded in the radiator and cooler out and wash out the radiators and coolers with water as well.

I try to clean dust / pollen out of window tracks and spray some silicone to keep them operating easily.

I also clean under slides and clean the slide rollers and lube the slide mechanisms with the recommended Winnebago slide lubricant.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:12 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

The only post trip maintenance items for me are draining the water system (tank, lines, and hot water heater), giving the thing a bath to get the road crud off, and checking all fluids.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:01 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Can a few people tell me also what to do at the end of a trip in regards to the water tanks, water lines and gray and black water tanks. Winterizing is not an issue because we live in a mild climate - near Los Angeles. If we are not going to go longer than 1 month between trips, should we keep the tanks partially full of water? I heard that the seals and things won't dry out if you do that. Is it going to be a different answer if we won't use it again for say 2 months? Should we then drain everything? Or should we always drain every tank at the end of a trip?
I have read different things so trying to follow a program.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:08 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

We always keep fresh water in the tank; at least 1/3 tank or so. As far as the black and gray, those get emptied, rinsed, and a couple of gallons put back into the black tank. In hot weather, we make sure to run some water and keep the p-traps full so that sewer smells can't enter the coach through the dried out p-traps. I also put the stoppers in the sinks to help slow evaporation. Also keep water in the toilet bowl to keep those seals from drying out.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:05 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Hi Sarah
Thanks for sharing that information.
I assume you put water in the gray tank as well.
Do you follow that same end of trip protocol if you will not be using your motor home for 2 months?
Is keeping water in the tanks standard practice and recommended by the manufacturer?
I am very new at this having purchased my first motor home just a few weeks ago and taking my maiden voyage on July 17th.
I just want to have a procedure I follow every time so I don't have to think about it any more.
Thank you and any others for any further input.
Mvnbrya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvnbrya View Post
Hi Sarah
Thanks for sharing that information.
I assume you put water in the gray tank as well.
Do you follow that same end of trip protocol if you will not be using your motor home for 2 months?
Is keeping water in the tanks standard practice and recommended by the manufacturer?
I am very new at this having purchased my first motor home just a few weeks ago and taking my maiden voyage on July 17th.
I just want to have a procedure I follow every time so I don't have to think about it any more.
Thank you and any others for any further input.
Actually, we don't add any water to the gray tank, though you certainly could do so. Keeping a few gallons of water in the black tank is a good practice, mainly to keep dried solids from turning to concrete in your tank. (In RVing lore, it's known as the "Pyramid of Doom.") As far as I know, there is no formal recommendation for keeping water in any of the tanks when the RV is stored.

We keep fresh water in the tank so that when we visit the RV in storage to exercise the generator we have water available to flush or for general use... such as running water in the p-traps as I mentioned before. We try to visit the RV monthly to run the generator, drive down the interstate for an hour or so, take care of small maintenance items, etc., but if we missed a month it wouldn't be cause for panic.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:46 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Great tips. Thank you!
Mvnbrya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:41 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvnbrya View Post
Great tips. Thank you!
You are quite welcome. I hope your maiden voyage goes smoothly and you have a lot of fun. You'll be an old hand at RVing before you know it.

Tags
cat, maintenance