Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-05-2009, 05:39 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Hot water flow problem

I have a problem that just started today. When I turn on the kitchen faucet to full force and all hot water, the water flow starts out good and then slows down to a trickle. This is not just the usual pressure surge when you normally turn on the water. It actually slows down to a trickle. I thought it might be a blockage in the faucet until I tried the same thing in the bathroom. It does the same thing! Then to make it interesting, it only does this part of the time. The rest of the time both faucets work as they should. Has anyone had any experience with this? What can the problem be? By the way, I am hooked up to the park's water supply. I always use a whole house filter, which I changed over the weekend, and this has only happened on the hot water side. Not the cold water side.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Doug - I haven't had the problem yet, but I've read about it several times on the forum. There is a check valve on the back of the water heater that has some function in winterizing. Since I never have to winterize, I'm not up to speed on just how it works.

Apparently, that valve is notorious for failing and most just take the guts out of it. The hard part is getting access to it.

I'm sure someone will be along soon with better info as it's a fairly common problem...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Doug - here's one discussion:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/chec...ter-51223.html
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:36 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

You could be right that it is the valve. I had a water leak last weekend and had to get a new gasket and tighten the fitting. Maybe I tightened it too tight?
Old 10-05-2009, 08:03 PM   #5
RKL
Winnebago Owner

Hot water flow problem

Doug...in my o2 Journey there are 2 check valves, one at the heater cold water in and the other in the water piping compartment for hot water out....I have removed both and found the inner spring and seal were broke..I removed the innards and put the check valves back inline and all is well....Sounds like your problem is in one of the valves.....RKL
Old 10-05-2009, 11:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sage View Post
You could be right that it is the valve. I had a water leak last weekend and had to get a new gasket and tighten the fitting. Maybe I tightened it too tight?
a brass water heater check valve replacement is made by camco. the pn is 23303. they cost about $9 each.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:10 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I have had some health issues lately but finally got under the rig and checked things out. I had a brass fitting with a plastic anti backflow valve in it. The valve had an "O" ring that was stretched and not allowing the valve portion to move properly. I removed the valve and put the fitting back in place and now have a good hot water flow again. As far as I can tell so far, removing the valve has not had any other untoward consequences.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:33 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

It appears you have corrected the problem and will not experience it again. The only problem you may have created is you will not be able to winterize properly. If you don't winterize then you will be fine
Old 10-10-2009, 09:45 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

We are full timers so we do not winterize the coach. Thanks for your input.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:05 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: Winterizing is a personal matter as to how to do it. I use compressed air as I don't believe in the pink stuff. We had some in Wyoming that was frozen hard as a rock in the winter. I use ethylene glycol in the drains. If you use compressed air the check valves have no value. I removed mine as a preventative measure when I had the water heater out even though they were still working .
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote