Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2007, 02:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We just brought the coach out of dry storage and are now connected to city water supply. The water heater is heating water but I have no flow out of any hot water tap. The water heater bypass valve is in the "normal" position and we've got no leaks. Both with and without the water pump, still no flow...no burst of air clearing out of the line, no nothin' but all cold water taps work fine. What is going on here?

Thanks for your help and suggestions,
Larry
Cat C-7 DP -- 2 slides -- computer table dinet -- full body paint -- Satellite Dish: Winegard Movin' View Dome -- Toad: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD -- Aux Brake: none -- Tow Bar: Sterling All Terrain -- GPS: Garmin Street Pi
KE0M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 02:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We just brought the coach out of dry storage and are now connected to city water supply. The water heater is heating water but I have no flow out of any hot water tap. The water heater bypass valve is in the "normal" position and we've got no leaks. Both with and without the water pump, still no flow...no burst of air clearing out of the line, no nothin' but all cold water taps work fine. What is going on here?

Thanks for your help and suggestions,
Larry
Cat C-7 DP -- 2 slides -- computer table dinet -- full body paint -- Satellite Dish: Winegard Movin' View Dome -- Toad: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD -- Aux Brake: none -- Tow Bar: Sterling All Terrain -- GPS: Garmin Street Pi
Old 01-17-2007, 02:40 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

If your winter by pass valves are in the right position for flow, it is most likley a check valve.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:39 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Hi Frankie - I've burped the high pressure relief valve in the water heater several times and I get plenty of hot water squirting out and no air. But still no water at all flows through any of the taps. You're probably right, there's a check valve somewhere that is blocking the flow. Any ideas on how to release it...assuming I could find it. Ha. Larry
Old 01-17-2007, 03:47 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Here's a link to a good picture of the backside of your water heater. -That's where the check valves are at...

water heater check valves
I believe you may have a 'floor panel' under the coach that can be removed so you can reach up to access the back side of the water heater.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Troth - Now that I know where they are how do I clear them? This happened once before and it self corrected. I think I'll turn off the water supply and completely drain the water heater and then refill it. Maybe that will release the pressure or break the vacuum. I hope I don't need a part because I'm camped out in Mexico right now. Larry
Old 01-17-2007, 05:00 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

You can just take the check valve off.I see no harm comeing to your system.After reading several threads on this subject,it seems the benifit of the check valve is for winterizing.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:30 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Well, draining the tank and refilling it did not solve the problem. It's got to be one or both check valves. I put out an SOS on the Mexico RV net to see if anyone knows the phone number for a Kino Mexico RV tech. If all else fails, I guess I could crawl under there and see if I can remove the valves, discard the guts, and reinstall it. Larry
Old 01-17-2007, 10:41 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

That's one solution that other irv2 members have reported (removing the guts of the check valves). Others have replaced them with new valves. Still others have removed the check valves entirely and installed two 1/2" quarter-turn ball valves (for positive winterization). I plan to do option "C" this coming Spring. JMHO.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:23 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

there appears to be only one check valve. I removed it and discarded the guts and reinstalled it. Of course, had to drain the tank a second time and refill it. When it all was put back together, still no flow on the hot water side. The check valve I modified appeared to be the cold water inlet. I did not see a check valve on the hot water outlet. I tried to call the "Bago" folks but missed their operating hours so tomorrow will try again to talk with a tech there. It can't be that complicated...water in...water out. I feel like a real dummy.

Larry
Old 01-17-2007, 04:03 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Larry, I just purchased a new 2006 36ft Journey and had to take it back to the dealer for a "no hot water" problem. As it turns out the bypass valve was hooked up in reverse from the factory. When I removed the metal panel covering the bypass valve to try and diagnose the problem myself I noticed what looks like a brass check valve in one of the lines coming from the water heater. Hope this helps.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 04:49 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Sammie - Whoa, you may be on to something! I'll pull the panel that houses the bypass valve and see if there is a check valve in there. From the water heater, I can see the pvc tubing coming from the tank and it even has a single wrap of red tape suggesting it may be the water heater output line. There is no visible check valve in that line at the water heater. At least, you have given me a ray of hope and something else to scrutinize. The idea of spending 2 or 3 months in Mexico without hot water is not exactly my idea of a great time. Not surprising, my DW feels even stronger about the issue. After sunrise tomorrow, I'll check it out and let you know.

Consider yourself hugged "electronically"!

Larry
Old 01-18-2007, 05:45 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

KE0M, would you write me @ [email protected] I want to find out about the Kino Mexico experience as I want to go there myself. Thanks

1998 Winnebago Chieftain
ChiefQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:36 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Sammie - You are a genius!!! Par excelence!!! I pulled the access cover for the water service panel and there it was...a check valve for the water heater output line. I pulled the line, pulled the valve, removed the guts of the valve, and with great ceremony, I threw the plunger, spring, and little star thingie into the ocean. I put everything back together and I'll be darned, I have water flow in all hot water taps. We fired up the heater and halleujia, we have hot water in mass quanities. BTW I called Bago tech support and was advised they put two (2) check valves in EVRY water heater in every vehicle they manufature. They are there to prevent antifreeze going into the hot water tank. I don't use antifreeze...I used compressed air. It is good to know that I shall not have check valve problems ever again as both valves have been permanently disabled. Sammie, come to Kino Bay Mexico and dinner and the bar bill is on me.

Eternally grateful,
Larry
Old 01-19-2007, 05:22 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Keom,,,Congratulations,,I was following your problem with interest and glad it is solved.
Another case of Irv2 members coming to the rescue. They are a great bunch, have fun in Medico.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 08:28 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I to have been following this post with great interest.
I have learned something new.
Now if I can only remember it.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:30 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jcar6109:
I to have been following this post with great interest.
I have learned something new.
Now if I can only remember it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Do as I do in these type of cases, print this discussion including the picture of the back of the water heater and put it all in the "Black Bag" where the info for the water heater is.
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:05 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Great suggestion I will do that.

Thank you
Old 01-24-2007, 04:10 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Must be a Kino thing! We were there 2 weeks ago and just started losing Hot H2O pressure yesterday here in Tampa FL. Been blowing the line back from the kitchen sink and found a green plastic thingy in the container that holds the water I blew out and could not figure out what it was...maybe it is the check valve falling apart? Will see. Need to because the hot water flow is gone again.