Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2009, 11:19 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

water spot removal?

Hi Ho: Well I have tried everything I can think of to remove water spots from the side of the coach. We parked next to the neighbor's yard and his sprinklers hit the side of the coach with secondary water (water from the Jordan River).

I thought "no big deal" until I tried to get them off. They are especially noticable on the window. I have tried vinegar, CLR, soft scrub, detergent etc. etc.

Help!!!

Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Bar Keeper Friend

Bar Keeper's Friend can by purchased at most grocery stores. It is displayed next to the Comet and other powdered cleaners.

Make a paste with it and water. Rub it on the window glass just like you were waxing a car. Let it haze and buff off the haze. This is what the car restorers use. I have seen it recommend on the Hot Rod TV show several times to restore auto glass.

I have used it on several windshields for over 10 years and have yet to see a scratch. Be careful to not rub dry powder on the glass.

I have used it on aluminum sided travel trailers to remove black streaks, but I would test it on a small area before doing a large area.

It is the best chrome polish I have found.
photoadjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Try a clay bar, you can buy them at any auto supply house.
gunawo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Try a Bounce drier sheet. Wet area, wipe with drier sheet, rinse thoroughly.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

If you have full body paint, I strongly caution you against using Bounce or any other wet dryer sheet as they are abrasive. Using it on the front of my coach on the 3m vinyl (clearcoat surfaced) has ruined the surface/finish/appearance of the vinyl. I can't imagine it being much better on a clearcoat painted surface. I can't speak for the effect on gelcoated fiberglass.

After trying many other recommendations, I have successfully removed water spots from full body clearcoat covered paint with "Awesome" cleaner, available at most dollar type stores. It comes in a concentrate that you then mix with water according to the directions on the bottle. Also also use it for cleaning bugs off the front of my MH.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We had hard water spots on our windows, from well water, and my wife used Bring It On to remove it. Here is a link to there site
bringitoncleaner.com
Scroll down about 1/3 of the page and look for Bring-It-ON Customer Testimonials.
Go figure the second link goes right to the page with our windows on it.
The pictures on this page are our windows and they haven't been touched up at all. My wife sent the pictures thanking them for a great product and they published them as a testimonial. So we know this stuff works. Were not associated with them at all just a satisified customer.

Dick
Old 10-02-2009, 05:42 PM   #7

Try a product called "Ducky", it's what I used to get the water spots off my boat when we would go to Lake Havasu, AZ
Mike-N-Sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:13 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to rowesort
To take waterspots off my boat I spray it down with Vim shower scrub. Hose it off and wipe it down and spots gone
rowesort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:31 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

If all you have are the water deposits, vinegar and water is all it takes. Problem is the minerals can combine with the water and fall out from the air and you can get some mild acids forming. This can cause some surface etching which nothing will remove. Best to keep a good coat of wax on the beast and keep that side well washed and waxed.

Ken.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:58 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: Thanks everyone. We will try some of the ideas, but I expect that we have something other than calcium carbonate (hard water) spots because they are not effected by acetic acid (vinegar, CLR etc.) Ken may be right about etching the glass, but I will try some of the ideas and let you know.

We have exchanged the boat and motorhome so that it can't be sprayed anymore. (The boat is well covered and I don't care if the cover gets hit)

Thanks again for the ideas, Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:28 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
After trying many other recommendations, I have successfully removed water spots from full body clearcoat covered paint with "Awesome" cleaner, available at most dollar type stores. It comes in a concentrate that you then mix with water according to the directions on the bottle. Also also use it for cleaning bugs off the front of my MH.
I use Awesome for just about everything now.... stuff works great. I used to use Simple Green, but Awesome cuts grease, removes stains, cleans carpets way quicker and cheaper. A half gallon is $3 at Dollar Store. Haven't tried on water spotting, but if Paul says it works, then I take that as a "go".